Should we stop spending...

Status
Not open for further replies.
we still need to buy a natural right winger

i think ossie has done acceptably at that position, but its painfully clear that its not where he's meant to play and he doesn't do that well there. if we're going to progress, we need to buy a natural wing player, not someone like ossie who's suited more for the centre of the pitch.

once we buy him, i think we should be good, though i'd be happier if we got delph. now that jo is on loan, i don't think we need defour just yet... great player or not we're in a good position striker-wise, whereas our defence needs serious reinforcements.

Yes. I mean what are they? Just little things that you tag on the end of letters. Its not like they are important or anything, commas and fullstops allow you to breathe, but apostrophes just make words longer. I say we abolish them.
Apostrophes out

To me most of the arguements against the idea seem pretty short sighted. If I had to choose between making do with Gosling, Osman or moving Mikkey to the right flank until Jan with Defour guaranteed to arrive in that window I'd take that option anyday over getting 2-3 squad fillers.
But that's the point. There is no guarantee that he will arrive. If I knew that he'd sign, or another big name that would improve our squad greatly, then I'd be for it as well. But we don't know.

And I can't find any reason why Liege would agree over a fee for him now when he have the chance to show himself in the CL and, very likely, get noticed by some bigger club and increase his marketvalue. It would just be plain stupid by them to do so.

I know my point are in the short run, but it's mainly in the short run we need to look now. We have signed players for the long run (Mustafi, Gerbutt, Peterlin), we need to get players that can help us in the start of the season as well.

But that's the point. There is no guarantee that he will arrive. If I knew that he'd sign, or another big name that would improve our squad greatly, then I'd be for it as well. But we don't know.

And I can't find any reason why Liege would agree over a fee for him now when he have the chance to show himself in the CL and, very likely, get noticed by some bigger club and increase his marketvalue. It would just be plain stupid by them to do so.
I know my point are in the short run, but it's mainly in the short run we need to look now. We have signed players for the long run (Mustafi, Gerbutt, Peterlin), we need to get players that can help us in the start of the season as well.

I actually said exactly the same thing in the Defour thread after Dutch's comment. ;) The thread was a highly hypothetical one in the first place mate, we haven't even got Naughton anyway (but we will), more a "Would you support waiting til Jan for first team quality already with a long future too i.e. Defour IF it could be agreed in advance (with these unusual statements coming from Standard and the player) rather than buying a few squaddies that are being mentioned just to get them in now.

Status
Not open for further replies.