Set pieces..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baines on set peices:

image.jpeg

It's not just me that reads that as if they didn't practise defending balls into the box, then cause it was such a problem they spent the last week practising them?

Bit daft considering they play at least 40 games a season and not just 1.

It's like leaving a bullet wound seeping for 2 and a half years then putting a band aid on it and going "look see i'm doing something about it".

The rate of scoring from corners is less than 3% in th entire league, sure would be nice to see a few better ones from us but theyre not as important as some think, certainly not as much to be the difference between getting top 4-5 or not

See this just does my head in. While the rate of scoring from corners for the entire league might be 3%, what is it when you take a look at Everton's performances on their own. Based on the last 3 matches I would tell you we are conceding corners more than 3% of the time. If someone did all the tabulation I would bet that we have conceded from more than 3% of corners since Martinez took over. If we are conceding more than the average team in the Premier League from corners then that should be something the coaching staff take note of and address. Baines and Howard are coming out with quotes this week stating that we are working on them now, but this weakness at defending corners has been apparent since the end of Martinez's first season and only now when we throw points away 3 times in a row because of set pieces are we attempting to rectify the situation.

See this just does my head in. While the rate of scoring from corners for the entire league might be 3%, what is it when you take a look at Everton's performances on their own. Based on the last 3 matches I would tell you we are conceding corners more than 3% of the time. If someone did all the tabulation I would bet that we have conceded from more than 3% of corners since Martinez took over. If we are conceding more than the average team in the Premier League from corners then that should be something the coaching staff take note of and address. Baines and Howard are coming out with quotes this week stating that we are working on them now, but this weakness at defending corners has been apparent since the end of Martinez's first season and only now when we throw points away 3 times in a row because of set pieces are we attempting to rectify the situation.
I was on about an attacking sense.

But defending its obvious we need to sort it out, preferably by shipping starjumps back across the pond

Status
Not open for further replies.