Set pieces..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roberto is right to concentrate on what we are good at. But we still need to mix our tactics to avoid being predictable.

By all means play the ball out from defence, but play a long ball now and then to make their defence cover that possibility.

Play short corners, but put in a long one to the far post to take them by surprise.

Yes, but he's indicating this is a process that doesn't come overnight.

Also, I'd add in the next sentence of that quote you cited:

...which is spot on really. We are fantastic to watch as an open play team - meddle too much and emphasise defence over attack and you risk losing the style of football we have...the one that makes us distinctive as a pleasing to watch footballing outfit.
I don't think they're mutually exclusive. Time will tell, and full conclusions drawn at the end of the season. A few clean sheets might breed the confidence needed to turn the draws into wins.

I don't think they're mutually exclusive. Time will tell, and full conclusions drawn at the end of the season. A few clean sheets might breed the confidence needed to turn the draws into wins.
I have a feeling that the manager is putting out a fire of the media's making with the recent OTT reaction to set piece goals conceded. I can see his point on the issue of set piece defending: it is a mentality more than anything more technical. We hear all these stories about opponents blocking off defenders and working corner/free kick routines, but what's needed to overcome the majority of the rubbish they roll out is an aggressive attitude to clearing your lines. Full blooded commitment to get a head on a ball doesn't take much coaching. It should be a matter of course that a GK + defence throws the absolute kitchen sink at clearing their own 18 yard box of danger.

Too much can and is being made of the issue. It's very basic and very doable. It's down to the players to show some aggression in the box and not allow the opposition to feel they can control the area. They basically have to become territorial about their 18 yard box.

I have a feeling that the manager is putting out a fire of the media's making with the recent OTT reaction to set piece goals conceded. I can see his point on the issue of set piece defending: it is a mentality more than anything more technical. We hear all these stories about opponents blocking off defenders and working corner/free kick routines, but what's needed to overcome the majority of the rubbish they roll out is an aggressive attitude to clearing your lines. Full blooded commitment to get a head on a ball doesn't take much coaching. It should be a matter of course that a GK + defence throws the absolute kitchen sink at clearing their own 18 yard box of danger.

Too much can and is being made of the issue. It's very basic and very doable. It's down to the players to show some aggression in the box and not allow the opposition to feel they can control the area. They basically have to become territorial about their 18 yard box.
TBF he's shown that he's not easily swayed by public or media opinion, c.f. Howard. Who knows what goes on on the training ground but you can see the progression on other parts of the pitch this season. We'll see over the Christmas period whether the defence is taking on board his musings.

TBF he's shown that he's not easily swayed by public or media opinion, c.f. Howard. Who knows what goes on on the training ground but you can see the progression on other parts of the pitch this season. We'll see over the Christmas period whether the defence is taking on board his musings.
Or just take the super glue of the sole of Tims boots , and he may leave his goal line?

Status
Not open for further replies.