Set pieces..

Status
Not open for further replies.
They weren't.

And they didn't all land in the same spot.

And if someone had have bothered attacking them we might have caused some damage.

We've all moaned for years about corners not getting past the first man, but in this situation somehow it's not the deliverer's fault, it's the other players' fault for not attacking the corners, even though none of them did beat the first man? Don't understand that.

@Mikey_Fitzgerald is not going to support this idea. He abhors the idea of a defensive coach.

FamilyGuyFouad.jpg

OH HO

IS FUNNY BECAUSE IT OPPOSITE OF WHAT I REALLY SAY

OH HO HO!!!!!

I'm a lot more concerned about our defending of set pieces than our attacking with them. We have plenty of threat in open play up front to score enough to win games, however, switching off at least once every game is costing us big time at the moment.

Cant beat the first man, shouldn't take corners. not rocket science

Get baines practicing and taking them from one side again, maybe Cleverly from the other side

As for defending corners, take a trip to a sunday league game in the park and see how basics are done. proper man marking and someone aggressive attacking anything near the 6 yard box

Do agree if they can sort this out while turn more draws into wins.

As for defending corners, take a trip to a sunday league game in the park and see how basics are done. proper man marking and someone aggressive attacking anything near the 6 yard box

Do agree if they can sort this out while turn more draws into wins.
For me anything in the 6 yard box only one aggressive man should attack that, and that's the keeper

They weren't.

And they didn't all land in the same spot.

And if someone had have bothered attacking them we might have caused some damage.
Not all, but a few of his corners were kicked clear by the first man, not headed clear, kicked clear. I'm sure on a couple of occassions they actually bounced before the first man.
Even I can get a corner into the 6 yard box. Deulofeu, with his ability of whipping in a cross should be able to hit it hard enough that it at least reaches the first man before it bounces

It's never been a Martinez concern and unfortunately never will be.

That said, it is confusing that professional footballers can't just naturally defend a ball coming into the box with at least a degree of capability on their own, even if the manager places no emphasis on it.

Genunely feel we need a tall, solid hard knock centre back who isn't scared of getting hurt and opposing players think twice about challenging for the ball in the air against.

A Skrtel, a Shawcross, even a damn Robert Huth-type. Which 6'2 striker is gonna be scared of going in for a challenge with Jagielka, or 75kg John Stones, ffs?

One of them types of players partnered with Stones would easily sort us out, imo.

(of course with a better keeper too)

It's never been a Martinez concern and unfortunately never will be.

That said, it is confusing that professional footballers can't just naturally defend a ball coming into the box with at least a degree of capability on their own, even if the manager places no emphasis on it.

...and beat the first man/put a decent ball in on a corner?

Status
Not open for further replies.