2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Dyche part but I don’t feel the need to dis Lampard. Desire but not the experience to deal with the issues here
He had the same flaws at Chelsea and the exact same tactical issues. I consider myself utterly basic when it comes to tactics and I could see where lampard was going wrong. That he or his coaching staff couldn't is incredible. He was very bad at his job

Dyche isn't a great manager, he gets the team working hard.. I was saying it since lampard got the job, he's an awful manager and makes Dyche look world class.

Dyche isn't a great manager, he gets the team working hard.. I was saying it since lampard got the job, he's an awful manager and makes Dyche look world class.
I think there is a ceiling for Dyche and his tactics but it is a good fit for where we are right not. His style appears quite simple to implement and coach which is good for our low IQ bunch

I wasn’t overly happy with the appointment, but he’s made me eat my words and really impressed with the job he’s doing, how he speaks pre and post match and what he’s asking the players to do.

He has simplified things markedly - no more playing out from the back with players not capable for example.

I would love to see Dyche keep us up and get the chance to really gut the squad in the summer and bring in who he wants in - I think he could surprise us and our opposition tactically.

There’s also no need to slag Frank Lampard off - a good man without the skills or experience to get us out of the self inflicted mess we are in thanks to this owner, board and Benitez. He pulled off the miracle once - twice was too much for him, and he should have been sacked much sooner, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t doing his best for us. It’s just I don’t think his best efforts would have kept us up this time.

Lampard no longer deserves a sentence made by another fan at this fine club. The stats speak for themselves. He was a disaster, would have taken us down and cost us any lingering respect we still have.

We are going to have to scrap like mad until the end of this season to stay up. Despite the promising start by Dyche we need some more results like yesterday. I wouldn't say I'm confident we need to outperform a lot of other teams, but I believe in the approach. Well done the boys for the commitment they showed yesterday with what is an outstanding result.

Just watched Dyches post match interview and I’m once again impressed with what he had to say.
I’m not sure ‘his style’ of football is quite so easily pigeon holed as essentially a younger version of Gravy Guts.
Strikes me as someone who uses the tools available to the best of their ability in way that suits them, rather than forcing any overriding personal style play, all grounded on belief and hard work.
That will do for me right now, if / when we stay up and we can improve the squad, that’s when we will get to see if his label is warranted or not.

He had the same flaws at Chelsea and the exact same tactical issues. I consider myself utterly basic when it comes to tactics and I could see where lampard was going wrong. That he or his coaching staff couldn't is incredible. He was very bad at his job

He spent over 200 million at Chelsea and had World Class players and his 4-3-3 was predictable for the opponents to pick apart.

He tried the same tactics with inferior players and expected it to work.

Dyche has already surpassed his Goodison points tally of 8 within 4 games.

Giving me Joe Royle vibes

@BlueToff I know you follow the expected goals stats, must be way ahead of Lampard?
Sorry, just seen this.

As of before the Brentford game we were seventh in the league when it came to non-penalty xG FOR in Dyche's first 6 games, with 7.3. However we'd only scored 3 non-pen goals so that shows a clear underperformance (basically we should have scored 4 more than we actually did based on the quality of chances we'd created).

Under Lampard - which has to be stressed it's over 20 games so obviously a bit of a wider pool - we were 16th for non-pen xG ahead of the Brentford game.

So that is a clear, big improvement when it comes to chance creation.

I do think though even still we were underperforming our non-pen xG under Lampard, too. And over the season, again this is before Brentford, we were 15th in the league and basically 7 goals short of what we should have.

So it shows the issues. Under Lampard the quantity of chances wasn't there but there were still some big chances created that got missed (think Iwobi and Dom v Leicester, Gordon v Wolves etc). Under Dyche we're creating more high-quality opportunities but still missing plenty.

What is concerning under Dyche is our second-half xG is often way down. Against Forest it was 0.03 in the second half, which is shocking. I can't imagine it was much better yesterday.

We have to find a way of changing that. We probably deserved to put the game to bed in the first half yesterday but we need more routes to goal in second halves, especially when we're leading. Again, though, a lot of that comes down to poor players.

Sorry, just seen this.

As of before the Brentford game we were seventh in the league when it came to non-penalty xG FOR in Dyche's first 6 games, with 7.3. However we'd only scored 3 non-pen goals so that shows a clear underperformance (basically we should have scored 4 more than we actually did based on the quality of chances we'd created).

Under Lampard - which has to be stressed it's over 20 games so obviously a bit of a wider pool - we were 16th for non-pen xG ahead of the Brentford game.

So that is a clear, big improvement when it comes to chance creation.

I do think though even still we were underperforming our non-pen xG under Lampard, too. And over the season, again this is before Brentford, we were 15th in the league and basically 7 goals short of what we should have.

So it shows the issues. Under Lampard the quantity of chances wasn't there but there were still some big chances created that got missed (think Iwobi and Dom v Leicester, Gordon v Wolves etc). Under Dyche we're creating more high-quality opportunities but still missing plenty.

What is concerning under Dyche is our second-half xG is often way down. Against Forest it was 0.03 in the second half, which is shocking. I can't imagine it was much better yesterday.

We have to find a way of changing that. We probably deserved to put the game to bed in the first half yesterday but we need more routes to goal in second halves, especially when we're leading. Again, though, a lot of that comes down to poor players.
Appreciated, cheers for that

The xG stats were always poor with Dyche at Burnley. I listen to a lot of podcasts and it was mentioned all the time. He got us into Europe with low xG. If he can eventually get a front pairing then you will be more entertaining on the eye. It is "mixed" football but there is a pace and aggression to it. When matched with honesty of effort and desire, what's not to like?

The opposition's XG tended to be fairly high as well. Having watched loads of Dyche football, if your units are set then most times the opposition will have to do something spectacular or for there to be an error for you to concede. For many seasons, our concessions were counter attacks mainly. Our midfield lacked pace. The first at Liverpool is a prime example, I'd seen that goal quite a lot at Burnley. The defensive system concedes shots but there are bodies in the way in key areas and then the goalkeeper is left with the easier shots to deal with. The CBs are key to that. It doesn't surprise me that he has gone with Keano and Tarky. They are schooled in it. For this season, first goal is everything.

I'd expect him to be more progressive next season. I'd be disappointed if he couldn't adapt to the bigger club.

The xG stats were always poor with Dyche at Burnley. I listen to a lot of podcasts and it was mentioned all the time. He got us into Europe with low xG. If he can eventually get a front pairing then you will be more entertaining on the eye. It is "mixed" football but there is a pace and aggression to it. When matched with honesty of effort and desire, what's not to like?

The opposition's XG tended to be fairly high as well. Having watched loads of Dyche football, if your units are set then most times the opposition will have to do something spectacular or for there to be an error for you to concede. For many seasons, our concessions were counter attacks mainly. Our midfield lacked pace. The first at Liverpool is a prime example, I'd seen that goal quite a lot at Burnley. The defensive system concedes shots but there are bodies in the way in key areas and then the goalkeeper is left with the easier shots to deal with. The CBs are key to that. It doesn't surprise me that he has gone with Keano and Tarky. They are schooled in it. For this season, first goal is everything.

I'd expect him to be more progressive next season. I'd be disappointed if he couldn't adapt to the bigger club.
Our xG stats right now are high, but Everton aren't converting the chances that come their way.

Our xG stats right now are high, but Everton aren't converting the chances that come their way.
I'd expect that to settle a touch - early days and a squad which needs a reworking. The forward line needs a transfer window for a solution unfortunately. DCL looks a good fit for Dyche but injury proneness. There is a Dyche fit mantra, he won't play anyone until he is certain they can work for the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.