2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all those saying it’s not pretty, world class players make pretty football, not tactics and formations. No coaching in the world can get Doucoure or Gueye to play the passing movements that Silva De Bruyne Aguero could do.

For the majority of teams outside the top 6 if you try and play like a top 6 team without that level of players you’ll just get cut to pieces as Lampard found out and as Rodgers is now seeing.

Even Liverpool struggled when the onus was on them to make the play in midfield, they’re far more effective in transition on the counter tearing teams a new one. Do prime Mane Salah Firmino do it better than McNeill Maupay Iwobi do, of course. Liverpool looked pretty crap when Klopp had Benteke Sturridge Lallana Ings trying it.

We honestly need to put aside this hipster nonsense about football style. We’re just too poor a team at the moment to be worried about it. Every time we make a step forward though in improving defence, improving transitions, improving set pieces, there’s fans who just want to paint these things as primitive football rather than the bed rock of successful teams which they are.

City and Liverpool score loads of set pieces yet you don’t ever hear them mentioned whereas when we do it there’s fans quick to point out how many of our goals are set pieces because Dyche manages us. It’s an absolute load of nonsense.

If we were just aimlessly lobbing long balls forward for Simms to flick on then the detractors might have a point but look at the chances we’ve created under Dyche. Calvert Lewin and Docuoure had three chances between them in the first half against Arsenal all from pull backs and crosses after getting behind their defence. The Davies header v Liverpool, Coleman and Doucoure chances v Leeds, the McNeill goal yesterday. They’re all open play goal chances from passing combinations without a long ball in sight.

It’s just a complete myth pedalled by the media about Dyche football that stupid hipster Everton fans are all too happy to lap up.

We played some absolutely turgid stuff under Martinez Koeman Silva Frank and Carlo, we played some decent stuff under Allardyce and Dyche. The opposite is true as well, there was some decent footy under all those other managers as well and Allardyce did serve up a lot of rubbish.

It doesn’t make any difference whatsoever, none of those styles improved Everton at all in the short or long term. We need an effective manager who can grow consistency, recruit well, improve players and get us moving up the table. All this style discussion is absolute nonsense.
I'm sorry that's far too sensible. You don't belong here.

*rounds up mob with flaming torches and pitchforks*

Dyche isn't a great manager, he gets the team working hard.. I was saying it since lampard got the job, he's an awful manager and makes Dyche look world class.
What is the definition of a good manager? I believe that a good manager; 1) Able to get the team to play football the way he teaches, and 2) perform better than what is expected based on the resources given to the manager. These two naturally overlap. It contains no idealistic criteria, thoughts about how football should be played, etc., because it is subjective. For me, Dyche meets both of these criteria, and is an example of a good manager.

I'd expect that to settle a touch - early days and a squad which needs a reworking. The forward line needs a transfer window for a solution unfortunately. Dominic Calvert-Lewin looks a good fit for Dyche but injury proneness. There is a Dyche fit mantra, he won't play anyone until he is certain they can work for the team.
Yeah it's a positive sign given Everton's attack is dreadful but it shows where the issues are.

Lampard deserved to go and he was a poor manager, but the players he was given aren't good enough either.

xG is bollocks. Only the scoreline matters. See how proud you are with 90% possession and 25 shots on goal when you lose 1-0.

Sean Dyche will be judged on points, exactly the same as Lampard who was our second worst manager of all time. FACT.
There is a direct correlation between points and xG, saying the only stat that matters is the final outcome is a terrible approach if you want to seriously review or understand anything. That is why variables before the outcome are analysed.

Yeah it's a positive sign given Everton's attack is dreadful but it shows where the issues are.

Lampard deserved to go and he was a poor manager, but the players he was given aren't good enough either.
True, but on the face of it you have Dyche performing better with the same said players, if not actually a worse squad when you consider Gordon's departure.

We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves at all, but right now I'd say we're playing our best football perhaps since Carlo left with a drastically reduced squad.

The Fat One got points on the board, yet the football wasn't great. Frank, well the less said there the better.... The bar is low to be fair, yet Dyche is exceeding it.

If we actually had a decent and reliable forward on the pitch, I think we'd all be feeling much more confident, and we'd probably be midtable.

For all those saying it’s not pretty, world class players make pretty football, not tactics and formations. No coaching in the world can get Doucoure or Gueye to play the passing movements that Silva De Bruyne Aguero could do.

For the majority of teams outside the top 6 if you try and play like a top 6 team without that level of players you’ll just get cut to pieces as Lampard found out and as Rodgers is now seeing.

Even Liverpool struggled when the onus was on them to make the play in midfield, they’re far more effective in transition on the counter tearing teams a new one. Do prime Mane Salah Firmino do it better than McNeill Maupay Iwobi do, of course. Liverpool looked pretty crap when Klopp had Benteke Sturridge Lallana Ings trying it.

We honestly need to put aside this hipster nonsense about football style. We’re just too poor a team at the moment to be worried about it. Every time we make a step forward though in improving defence, improving transitions, improving set pieces, there’s fans who just want to paint these things as primitive football rather than the bed rock of successful teams which they are.

City and Liverpool score loads of set pieces yet you don’t ever hear them mentioned whereas when we do it there’s fans quick to point out how many of our goals are set pieces because Dyche manages us. It’s an absolute load of nonsense.

If we were just aimlessly lobbing long balls forward for Simms to flick on then the detractors might have a point but look at the chances we’ve created under Dyche. Calvert Lewin and Docuoure had three chances between them in the first half against Arsenal all from pull backs and crosses after getting behind their defence. The Davies header v Liverpool, Coleman and Doucoure chances v Leeds, the McNeill goal yesterday. They’re all open play goal chances from passing combinations without a long ball in sight.

It’s just a complete myth pedalled by the media about Dyche football that stupid hipster Everton fans are all too happy to lap up.

We played some absolutely turgid stuff under Martinez Koeman Silva Frank and Carlo, we played some decent stuff under Allardyce and Dyche. The opposite is true as well, there was some decent footy under all those other managers as well and Allardyce did serve up a lot of rubbish.

It doesn’t make any difference whatsoever, none of those styles improved Everton at all in the short or long term. We need an effective manager who can grow consistency, recruit well, improve players and get us moving up the table. All this style discussion is absolute nonsense.
Spot on, couldn't agree more with everything you say.

Truth is, as a fan base inside the ground watching the game nothing gets the crowd going more than tough tackling, heart on your sleeve full of passion and fight football. That I think is what Dyche is trying to deliver, all this nonsense about not playing pretty football, I want goals, I want passion, I want to bloody win!!

We aren't Man City, we are Everton and we should be proud of that and proud to play Everton football. I want teams to fear playing us, you best know you've been in a game when you play us.

I think that is and should be the identity we strive and hope for, nothing frustrates me more than side to side passing and capitulation short of heart and desire.

True, but on the face of it you have Dyche performing better with the same said players, if not actually a worse squad when you consider Gordon's departure.

We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves at all, but right now I'd say we're playing our best football perhaps since Carlo left with a drastically reduced squad.

The Fat One got points on the board, yet the football wasn't great. Frank, well the less said there the better.... The bar is low to be fair, yet Dyche is exceeding it.

If we actually had a decent and reliable forward on the pitch, I think we'd all be feeling much more confident, and we'd probably be midtable.
They are performing better and that's the difference a better manager can make. But it's very fine margins. We still need this team to get 4 wins. They've done 3 in 7 so in theory it should be doable.

I just like that he values the basics. They’re overlooked so often. Like fullbacks stopping crosses. I’ve been screaming this at Everton players for years, they block one cross then are made up with themselves and can’t be bothered to go for the next one which invariably ends up in the back of the net. Digne was awful at it. Iwobi is another one, will do it once then not stay switched on. In the Forest game though you could hear on the audio Dyche screaming ‘stop the cross’ multiple times.

The other thing I’ve noticed is that we’ve just stopped the ridiculous fullback nonsense we’ve done under pretty much every manager apart from Carlo. Coleman and Mykolenko can’t cross a ball so why did we base our entire attacks around springing one of those two to whip a ball in. Sometimes they were both ahead of the play, absolutely crazy, especially given how slow our back line is.

Under Dyche the full backs get it and pass it down the line to wingers to attack, then they offer the option of a deeper cross, or only when it’s on they run beyond them on a genuine overlap. They’re staying goalside nearly all the time and it shows in how well Coleman and Godfrey have defended one on one breakaways in the last few games.

Simple things that aren’t reinventing the wheel but make a big difference

As far as I'm concerned, it's not pretty, but, I don't expect it to be. He has inherited a poor squad with only one centre forward who is seldom fit. I think Dyche is doing very well and he has given us a chance of avoiding relegation. The football we are playing is, at times, exciting to watch, by virtue of to effort put in and the amount of balls into the box, however, it is not pretty, that is not a criticism, it's a fact. To qualify my point, I do not care if it's pretty or not, as long as it's effective, good football is winning football, however it is achieved.

The one quality we needed in a manager was the ability to make the whole greater than the sum of it's parts and he's succeeding at that. Our scouting and recruitment has been abysmal for years, but this group of players is by far the worst squad we've had for a long time and fair play to Dyche for cobbling together a side that is picking up points.

Status
Not open for further replies.