2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dyche has his problems, but has proved to be a competent manager which is absolutely what Lampard wasn't.

Dyche make some decisions which baffle me personally, but he has earned the right for this next season to see what he could do. The football, and chances created in particular, has been at a much better standard than I expected.

I imagine that the forward line will be much improved this next window, and that in itself will help him.
I think, in hindsight though, they were decisions he had to make at the time. Lest we forget that even he was still learning about the squad in those first 15 games.

The selection at Brighton and the subsequent bumming we gave them was a pivotal moment for him and for us and proved to me that he's a proper manager after a few doubts had started to creep in. He's a bloke who learns from his mistakes.

I think, in hindsight though, they were decisions he had to make at the time. Lest we forget that even he was still learning about the squad in those first 15 games.

The selection at Brighton and the subsequent bumming we gave them was a pivotal moment for him and for us and proved to me that he's a proper manager after a few doubts had started to creep in. He's a bloke who learns from his mistakes.
Ah yeah and he learned they can play well for 4 games, Coady made ONE mistake and instantly golden boy Mick Keggers goes in to help concede about 20 goals in 5 games. Boss learning he did there.

The Brighton game is the biggest one off in the last several seasons

I don't want him gone but with him, regardless of owners or whatever, we're fighting relegation, just so you know.

He's as limited as the current squad.
Correction - he's limited by the squad, like most managers would be.

You're telling me that with a handful of solid signings in the summer (mainly the forward positions) that he wouldn't have us higher up the table next season?

Ah yeah and he learned they can play well for 4 games, Coady made ONE mistake and instantly golden boy Mick Keggers goes in to help concede about 20 goals in 5 games. Boss learning he did there.

The Brighton game is the biggest one off in the last several seasons
He was a bit slow to drop Keane compared to Coady in fairness, but Keane did have a handful of good games when he first came in and obviously there was that Spurs goal. I just think that Dyche had quickly identified that Keane was more suited than Coady in his preferred back 4 setup.

Dropping Keane for Mina though still showed a degree of awareness that not many on here expected of him and it ultimately paid off.

I think it is very easily one of the three worst in the league even when fully fit. When you take out Calvert Lewin and the fullbacks through injury it’s even worse.

At times I thought Dyche had these players playing as well as they individually could. Pickford Coleman Tarkowski Mykolenko Doucoure Onana probably playing at their best levels and still at times we’ve been easily getting dominated by even average PL teams.

Same happened under the back end of Ancelotti when his best players weren’t fit, same under Benitez, same under Lampard, same under Dyche.

It’s all the same problems, there’s no pace in defence so we can’t play a high line, there’s no technique in midfield to keep the ball so we can’t play a possession game, the two fullbacks can’t cross, and if Calvert Lewin isn’t fit there’s no height upfront for a direct game. How do you then create a team that can win when you have essentially no ingredients? Add in that a lot of the players are completely thick and prone to getting sent off, suicidal back passes, missing open goals, over hitting through balls etc. and it’s a recipe for disaster.

I blamed Martinez and Koeman at times because I could see a spine of Stones Barkley Lukaku with very good supporting players in the two fullbacks, Mirallas, McCarthy, Gueye etc. but I’ve had a lot of patience with recent managers because I genuinely believe most of these players just aren’t very good.

In the 13/14 squad think how many players would a sky six team have wanted?: Coleman, Stones, Baines, McCarthy, Barkley, Mirallas, Lukaku easily.

In this squad how many?: Pickford.

Our best attacking player from the start of the season is now sat on Newcastle’s bench behind Jacob Murphy and Almiron.

Our only holding mid is a 34 year old version of a player that a lot on here didn’t even think was good enough in his prime at 28.

I genuinely have no idea how you think this squad is better than being in the relegation discussion.
It's mostly just that people see our crap every week and think it is worse than everyone else's crap. I mean this week someone was talking about how much more talented Wolves are and that simply isn't true.

Barring interest from a great manager (LOL) you have to give him the season (unless he absolutely flops like Lampard). I don’t think that is likely at all and he talks like he knows how he wants to build the team.

My thing with Dyche is will he be the same guy that worked on the fly when he had to or will he become a complacent dullard that will start a Maupay-esque waster for 15 games because he paid 15 mil for him. Will he make the best decisions for the team or will he just coast by like so many other managers?

Get a couple of solid talents he could work with and some decent loans and let’s see what he can do. I think he deserves that. He isn’t Allardyce. He won’t just sit six men back and hope for a lucky goal on the counter. Dyche at least has a game plan.

Why are people thinking this?

It was the same at Burnley - "he had limited funds and a crap squad", yet it was his team, with his players, assembled by him, playing the way he wants them to play. It will be absolutely the same here, except now he can potentially have more money for more Jay Rodriguez's and Wout Weghorsts.
There's absolutely no way that Burnley side stayed in the division for as long as they did without Dyche though, let alone qualify for Europe!

I think it is very easily one of the three worst in the league even when fully fit. When you take out Calvert Lewin and the fullbacks through injury it’s even worse.

At times I thought Dyche had these players playing as well as they individually could. Pickford Coleman Tarkowski Mykolenko Doucoure Onana probably playing at their best levels and still at times we’ve been easily getting dominated by even average PL teams.

Same happened under the back end of Ancelotti when his best players weren’t fit, same under Benitez, same under Lampard, same under Dyche.

It’s all the same problems, there’s no pace in defence so we can’t play a high line, there’s no technique in midfield to keep the ball so we can’t play a possession game, the two fullbacks can’t cross, and if Calvert Lewin isn’t fit there’s no height upfront for a direct game. How do you then create a team that can win when you have essentially no ingredients? Add in that a lot of the players are completely thick and prone to getting sent off, suicidal back passes, missing open goals, over hitting through balls etc. and it’s a recipe for disaster.

I blamed Martinez and Koeman at times because I could see a spine of Stones Barkley Lukaku with very good supporting players in the two fullbacks, Mirallas, McCarthy, Gueye etc. but I’ve had a lot of patience with recent managers because I genuinely believe most of these players just aren’t very good.

In the 13/14 squad think how many players would a sky six team have wanted?: Coleman, Stones, Baines, McCarthy, Barkley, Mirallas, Lukaku easily.

In this squad how many?: Pickford.

Our best attacking player from the start of the season is now sat on Newcastle’s bench behind Jacob Murphy and Almiron.

Our only holding mid is a 34 year old version of a player that a lot on here didn’t even think was good enough in his prime at 28.

I genuinely have no idea how you think this squad is better than being in the relegation discussion.
The Stones Barkley Lukaku young spine you mention isnt far off with Branthwaite Onana (who naturally bring the power that Dyche mentioned) and ideally a new u23 centre forward.

The supporting players like Tarkowski Garner are pretty decent as well.

I think we should have a 2 summer plan. Meaning build over the next 2 summers so its not long until our team and squad are 'completed' and were well setup for the long term. We dont need many players, just quality.

That means adding to Branthwaite, Patterson, Onana, Garner and McNeil. Whether with youth team players for the squad like Cannon and Mills or signing young first eleven players.

???
Patterson ??? Branthwaite ???
Onana
Garner ???
??? ??? McNeil
6 positions to look at for the long term.

They had the worst manager in the league bar none for a long stretch of that!
It baffles me, it really does, I was called thick for that last week. :(

But people really out there using "HE DID BETTER THAN LAMPARD" like its a good thing.

Anyway, clearly the fella is staying, so he gets my full support, just dont expect me to be celebrating 14th like most would.

Correction - he's limited by the squad, like most managers would be.

You're telling me that with a handful of solid signings in the summer (mainly the forward positions) that he wouldn't have us higher up the table next season?
Yes, I absolutely am - we'd setup and fight for draws from game 1, with illogical/bizarre/favouritism-based teams and transfers and lacks of subs, which (game management) is a huge limitation of Sean Dyche. I'd love to be wrong but we're playing for 16th at best, which yeah it is 1 entire position higher but is still 16th lol
He was a bit slow to drop Keane compared to Coady in fairness, but Keane did have a handful of good games when he first came in and obviously there was that Spurs goal. I just think that Dyche had quickly identified that Keane was more suited than Coady in his preferred back 4 setup.

Dropping Keane for Mina though still showed a degree of awareness that not many on here expected of him and it ultimately paid off.
The only good thing Keane has done is that goal - he has been dreadful and costing us goals in nearly every game he's played. He was also ultragarbage against Spurs, despite the goal.

I'm so so happy he took 5 games longer to realise Keane is absolute garbage, you're right. We could've even won some of the games Keane was in, like Leicester where he was his proper self - crap and giving away a daft pen - and being outran, outmuscled and outmanouvered by the 600 year old ghost of Jamie Vardy.

That pen goes in and we were relegated on the spot, because Sean Dyche persisted with Keane, I hope you realise this.
There's absolutely no way that Burnley side stayed in the division for as long as they did without Dyche though, let alone qualify for Europe!
As big of a compliment to his abilities as ultimately relegating them a few times - he never kicked on and he likely never will, as he is limited.

He also had money last time out, the team got worse and he signed Wout Weghorst for effs sake hahahaha

As I said before - I hope I'm wrong, but "it's Sean Dyche lads" comes to mind more than not here.

But people really out there using "HE DID BETTER THAN LAMPARD" like its a good thing.

Anyway, clearly the fella is staying, so he gets my full support, just dont expect me to be celebrating 14th like most would.
If we're really going to use Lampard as the benchmark then ~95% of professional managers in the world would surely tick the "is a better manager" box. Would be pretty hard not to.

Yes, I absolutely am - we'd setup and fight for draws from game 1, with illogical/bizarre/favouritism-based teams and transfers and lacks of subs, which (game management) is a huge limitation of Sean Dyche. I'd love to be wrong but we're playing for 16th at best, which yeah it is 1 entire position higher but is still 16th lol

The only good thing Keane has done is that goal - he has been dreadful and costing us goals in nearly every game he's played. He was also ultragarbage against Spurs, despite the goal.

I'm so so happy he took 5 games longer to realise Keane is absolute garbage, you're right. We could've even won some of the games Keane was in, like Leicester where he was his proper self - crap and giving away a daft pen - and being outran, outmuscled and outmanouvered by the 600 year old ghost of Jamie Vardy.

That pen goes in and we were relegated on the spot, because Sean Dyche persisted with Keane, I hope you realise this.

As big of a compliment to his abilities as ultimately relegating them a few times - he never kicked on and he likely never will, as he is limited.

He also had money last time out, the team got worse and he signed Wout Weghorst for effs sake hahahaha

As I said before - I hope I'm wrong, but "it's Sean Dyche lads" comes to mind more than not here.
This stuff is always a worry but Everton (for all their faults) are a higher profile club than Burnley and could probably attract more names. Will he still make the same mistakes he did at Burnley in terms of transfers? Time will tell. I don’t think it’s set in stone though that he will fudge himself that badly

it wouldn't, or shouldn't be celebrated, but it would show progress. That in itself is a step in the right direction. But, i'm with you, for now, whilst he is here, he should be supported. That is, unless, inexplicably he makes us worse, which largely depends on what we get rid of, and what we bring in this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.