2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
A comfortable mid-table finish is striving for better on how we've been recently

Then the stadium gets built, hopefully Moshiri bogs off, and we can start looking above instead of below again

It's a process though, and not something that will happen overnight

This notion that wanting some mid-table stability for a couple of seasons is some sort of crime or a betrayal of our club's motto and history is ridiculous

If Dyche gets us 40+ points and somewhere between 14th and 10th next season, then that's a step in the right direction

It's not the end destination, but it's an important checkpoint along the way, just as it was for Moyes

If we ever get back to 7th place finishes and knocking on the door of the top six again, then I'll understand the "LACK OF AMBITION" shouts, but right now it's about the arduous and long climb back up

None of that matters if this board stays in place though. That's the first port of call, get rid of them. Then back Dyche so that he can get us out of the mire, then finish the stadium, then hopefully we start moving in the direction of where we want the club to be
But what does that look like? Surely the point should be incremental changes to our end goal?

Tailoring the squad to scrap relegation every season (which is what you are proposing in practice as no one finishes 14th without flirting with relegation battles at least some point in the season) is a self fulfilling death spiral. The players you presumably think we should buy for Dyche and not the type of players who can then transition into fighting at the top half of the table.

The problem with Everton over the last god knows how many years has been the gradual craving of mediocrity by the fans that has allowed the board to get away with murder for so long.

I’m all for not hanging the manager if we finish mid table. But there has to be at least some evidence of a plan to get us towards challenging for Europe again. Gearing the club up for relegation scraps every year is the complete opposite of that and just means we will inevitably drop at some point.

But what does that look like? Surely the point should be incremental changes to our end goal?

Tailoring the squad to scrap relegation every season (which is what you are proposing in practice as no one finishes 14th without flirting with relegation battles at least some point in the season) is a self fulfilling death spiral. The players you presumably think we should buy for Dyche and not the type of players who can then transition into fighting at the top half of the table.

The problem with Everton over the last god knows how many years has been the gradual craving of mediocrity by the fans that has allowed the board to get away with murder for so long.

I’m all for not hanging the manager if we finish mid table. But there has to be at least some evidence of a plan to get us towards challenging for Europe again. Gearing the club up for relegation scraps every year is the complete opposite of that and just means we will inevitably drop at some point.
Mate.. Mikey isn't suggesting that we 'gear up for relegation battles' - he's simply talking about making more careful, considered incremental improvements and that begins with a bit of consistency first and foremost.

We've gone down the route of trying to buy our problems away multiple times and it's nearly killed us - stability in the Premier League is most certainly what we need in the short term and until the new stadium has been broken in. Dyche himself has already alluded to this.

I think that's a sensible thought process if you ask me?

Mate.. Mikey isn't suggesting that we 'gear up for relegation battles' - he's simply talking about making more careful, considered incremental improvements and that begins with a bit of consistency first and foremost.

We've gone down the route of trying to buy our problems away multiple times and it's nearly killed us - stability in the Premier League is most certainly what we need in the short term and until the new stadium has been broken in. Dyche himself has already alluded to this.

I swear some people don't actually read what others post before responding to it sometimes

But what does it mean in practice? It’s all very well and good saying “just finish 14th” but what players do you buy to do that? Why should they be different to the players you buy to try and get up the table?

Saying “let Dyche get us stable in 14th” is just disingenuous double talk for let Dyche buy a load of average wasters who will continue to ruin the club financially and stop us from ever being able to get out of this trap we are in. There will never be an end to it and to these people there will never be a point at which they will want us to take risks again.

Also spending money isn’t what has killed us. Not spending money is why we are where we are. Turning off the taps hasn’t saved us from FFP, so what was the point?

The last thing our club needs right now is another change of manager and someone trying to implement an impossible philosophy on this group of players.

I think some of our fans got a bit carried away after the two early wins thinking it was suddenly going to be an easy route away from the bottom of the table but there were always going to be a lot of bumps along the way.

Yes there were some questionable subs and tactics at times but he’s done the required job and I very much like the sound of what his pre season fitness will be like for our squad. Apart from the injury prone players he’s inherited the majority of our players that do play certainly have a lot more stamina and are working harder.

Any investment we get will be mainly aimed at the stadium but hopefully Dyche can be reasonably backed to help improve us because we can’t allow it to get any worse.

A comfortable mid-table finish is striving for better on how we've been recently

Then the stadium gets built, hopefully Moshiri bogs off, and we can start looking above instead of below again

It's a process though, and not something that will happen overnight

This notion that wanting some mid-table stability for a couple of seasons is some sort of crime or a betrayal of our club's motto and history is ridiculous

If Dyche gets us 40+ points and somewhere between 14th and 10th next season, then that's a step in the right direction

It's not the end destination, but it's an important checkpoint along the way, just as it was for Moyes

If we ever get back to 7th place finishes and knocking on the door of the top six again, then I'll understand the "LACK OF AMBITION" shouts, but right now it's about the arduous and long climb back up

None of that matters if this board stays in place though. That's the first port of call, get rid of them. Then back Dyche so that he can get us out of the mire, then finish the stadium, then hopefully we start moving in the direction of where we want the club to be
Bang on the money here mate, the necessary changes required within the clubs hierarchy won't be half as painful if the team can just get on a steady curve upwards. Stability on the pitch is all that's needed right now.

He's the manager. Lets see what he can do with an improved squad that isn't papping itself every week worrying about getting relegated. Has done well, doesn't talk [Poor language removed], has sensible expectations of limited players. They are all positives in my eyes. Lets see how he gets on with some new talent.

Lets be honest the tika taka hip and trendy manager thing didn't suit us, maybe this will. Winning games is what counts, it seems he's not so bad at that.

I think we should aim to win the league next season but I’d accept a 14th place finish. How does that sound as a compromise?
I mean I get what you're saying but no one's asking for us to win the league - just for the manager to not be the same slug he's always been with everything he does.

He's the manager. Lets see what he can do with an improved squad that isn't papping itself every week worrying about getting relegated. Has done well, doesn't talk [Poor language removed], has sensible expectations of limited players. They are all positives in my eyes. Lets see how he gets on with some new talent.

Lets be honest the tika taka hip and trendy manager thing didn't suit us, maybe this will. Winning games is what counts, it seems he's not so bad at that.
Why are people thinking this?

It was the same at Burnley - "he had limited funds and a crap squad", yet it was his team, with his players, assembled by him, playing the way he wants them to play. It will be absolutely the same here, except now he can potentially have more money for more Jay Rodriguez's and Wout Weghorsts.

A lot of "run before you can walk" talk on here...which if difficult with legs that we as a club currently don't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.