2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely. For a club where NSNO is supposed to be ingrained in the DNA we don't half aspire to mediocrity so much of the time, never mind gladly accept it. Tis what it is, I guess.

I don't think it's about aspiring for mediocrity

It's about recognising where the club is at this current juncture and accepting that right now the prime objective is to stay in the top division until the new stadium is built

When that happens, we can start looking to the future, but for right now we need some stability

A big problem is that the "walk before you can run" philosophy is frowned upon by chest thumpers online who see it as a form of cowardice, when really it's the most realistic way of thinking about all this, though by far the least exciting

The lack of willingness or ability to see the big picture sometimes, especially on the internet, is kind of terrifying

Last edited:
I’m a firm believer that things can change very quickly in football, and I hate the notion that progress has to occur incrementally so you have to finish 12th before you can finish 10th etc. Football doesn’t work like that, look at Villa and Newcastle, or Everton in 04/05 for examples, of which there are many.

However, in Everton terms, I do think we need a period of stabilisation like we experienced under Walter Smith following our relegation battle in 97/98.

Fortunately, Dyche’s brand of football is far more exciting than Walter Smith’s, but it will be ‘agricultural’ in style, and that’s fine with me.

I can see him being here for a couple of years before being sacked, just like Walter Smith was.

I don't think it's about aspiring for mediocrity

It's about recognising where the club is at this current juncture and accepting that right now the prime objective is to stay in the top division until the new stadium is built

When that happens, we can start looking to the future, but for right now we need some stability

A big problem is that the "walk before you can run" philosophy is frowned upon by chest thumpers online who see it as a form of cowardice, when really it's the most realistic way of thinking about all this, though by far the least exciting

The lack of willingness or ability to see the big picture sometimes, especially on the internet, is kind of terrifying
There is a long way between chest thumping and setting the club on a path to relegation battles every year.

People are opting for the latter under a guise of “just wanting to stay in the league”.

Clubs that orient themselves to simply scrape by in the league every year always end up going down (I cannot think of one still in the league except for us). Clubs that strive for better are the ones who end up having good seasons.

There is a long way between chest thumping and setting the club on a path to relegation battles every year.

People are opting for the latter under a guise of “just wanting to stay in the league”.

Clubs that orient themselves to simply scrape by in the league every year always end up going down (I cannot think of one still in the league except for us). Clubs that strive for better are the ones who end up having good seasons.

A comfortable mid-table finish is striving for better on how we've been recently

Then the stadium gets built, hopefully Moshiri bogs off, and we can start looking above instead of below again

It's a process though, and not something that will happen overnight

This notion that wanting some mid-table stability for a couple of seasons is some sort of crime or a betrayal of our club's motto and history is ridiculous

If Dyche gets us 40+ points and somewhere between 14th and 10th next season, then that's a step in the right direction

It's not the end destination, but it's an important checkpoint along the way, just as it was for Moyes

If we ever get back to 7th place finishes and knocking on the door of the top six again, then I'll understand the "LACK OF AMBITION" shouts, but right now it's about the arduous and long climb back up

None of that matters if this board stays in place though. That's the first port of call, get rid of them. Then back Dyche so that he can get us out of the mire, then finish the stadium, then hopefully we start moving in the direction of where we want the club to be

I'm fine with us being dull and functional and even a bit crap if it means we are around mid table and not in serious danger of being pulled into another relegation battle.

If we suddenly get a change at the top and they actually look like they have a clue and a reasonable bit of funding, then I'd be happy if they decided to change something next summer and be more ambitious.

But right now, I'd rather stick than twist. I can put up with another year or two of crap football. I wouldn't want the current lot getting any big ideas about another managerial change.

I'll return to demanding something more than % football after we pull way way way back from the precipice

I know exactly what you mean. That is what has been done to this club. We have an uninterested owner, a board who think "top 17" is an achievement, a plan to model ourselves on Barcelona Burnley of years ago, and a fan base where many would quite happily settle for a year or two of 14th ish place finishes in a league we have zero chance of competing for let alone winning anything in. 'Good times' indeed.
He's the manager to make sure we move to BMD as a Premier League club. After that who knows?

When we had Dom in we were creating a lot more chances under dyche...so presuming we get more suitable competition up top that should continue... there's fight and spirit in the team... I was ok with him being appointed but now am very happy to see how it goes with him.

No one can say he doesn't deserve a fair crack at it

Personally I’d stick with him at least for another season .

We won’t be flash, we’re a million miles away from being pyar Brazil, but hey that’s okay.

We need to be organised and hard to beat - get another striker in and things will improve. We are completely hamstring by this whole FFP fiasco so none of us should expect any major new signings.

Functional, organised and mid-table will be us next season if we stick with Dyche. Bit boring but much better for my blood pressure.

Personally I’d stick with him at least for another season .

We won’t be flash, we’re a million miles away from being pyar Brazil, but hey that’s okay.

We need to be organised and hard to beat - get another striker in and things will improve. We are completely hamstring by this whole FFP fiasco so none of us should expect any major new signings.

Functional, organised and mid-table will be us next season if we stick with Dyche. Bit boring but much better for my blood pressure.
Doubt we'll be midtable - we'll probably build to not get relegated again and aim for 15th.

🤨
I don’t really see it as being that bad under Dyche. He’s found a way to generate points, end of story. We’d have got massacred every week if he’d done anything else. Lampard was the young progressive super manager and it was awful to watch, and didn’t generate points either. Carlo gained most points playing 4 centre backs when everyone was creaming over TAA and modern full backs.

Bournmouth boss kept making digs about us playing “direct” and them being the better team. We weren’t punting it onto the head of Gray at all. Why would we do that? Wasn’t beautiful but it certainly wasn’t hit and hope as we’d have never had the ball. They passed around their back line, got space down their right a couple times before McNeil worked out his positioning and that was about all they offered.

Can’t keep saying Dyche just puts 2 grocks up front and hoofs it and we don’t like it so need him replaced right now. We haven’t even had one grock to pick all season. He’s obviously not showbiz, and may turn out to be no better than average, but talk of binning him off now leaves me speechless and embarrassed. And yet I knew it would happen. Years of filth on the pitch and it’s taken 48 hours for some to forget our current standing.

Signing off for a bit of a break after that season. Final word goes to Dyche - reiterate what a job he done here. What an achievement. It wasn't pretty at times but he done what had to be done to keep us up, something that I think very few could've done in his situation.

Let's hope for change at board level, some additional investment and smart transfer business. He may not lead us to Europe or beyond but for where we're at, he's the right man to stabilise this club.

Status
Not open for further replies.