2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave did not say that. He said that Dyche has a strong position for achieving that outcome, which is not the same thing. There's still plenty of lifting to do. Dyche admitted that himself in the last-day presser.
The season has barely finished. Any strength of Dyche's position for the potential long term is nothing more than speculation at this point. Similar things were said this time last year in the Lampard survival euphoria, and look how that turned out. It would be nice if Dyche could steady the ship and do what he talks about, but we all know its rarely that simple here, just as we all know what happens if we are in/around the relegation zone again come January, when all the 'positional strength' in the world wont count for much if Prem status is under threat ahead of BMD.

You wait all you want. I've seen enough.
I wonder how many people said the same about Lampard this time last year?... "He saved us, he gets us, he worked miracles lifting the club off the floor from the previous rubbish manager, we need to back him and give him time" etc - sound familiar?

If 21 points from 18 games is enough for you to plant your Dyche flag, have at it. I'd prefer to see if the talk comes to fruition first. 👍

The season has barely finished. Any strength of Dyche's position for the potential long term is nothing more than speculation at this point. Similar things were said this time last year in the Lampard survival euphoria, and look how that turned out. It would be nice if Dyche could steady the ship and do what he talks about, but we all know its rarely that simple here, just as we all know what happens if we are in/around the relegation zone again come January, when all the 'positional strength' in the world wont count for much if Prem status is under threat ahead of BMD.
This is a bit like saying that chess grandmasters can't evaluate a position. Much as it pains me to make that comparison, Dave's evaluation is fair. Dyche got us out of the zone, the results extrapolated over a season are comfortably up, and that's all while playing a rubbish hand. Lampard got winter buys after selling a piece. Dyche did not.

I checked. Dave's position on Lampard was not atypical. Back the manager, until results say that's no longer tenable. So say we all, or at least we should.

I don't think anyone intends for this to be a Dyche love-in. If he drops us into mid-table and then patiently grinds his way up from there a position or three at a time, though, no one will complain. Should he do that, Dyche will quickly become a fixture around BMD.

Or perhaps we should wait to see how he does over a full season instead of declaring him the next decade-serving manager based on an 18 game sample size that returned 21 points and 5 wins?!...
Yeah, he's earned the right to take us into BMD. Nothing more at the mo, we need to see the kind of players he wants bring in to this club and how he does once all teams start on 0 points again. He's earned his time to shine now, it's up to him whether he takes it....

I wonder how many people said the same about Lampard this time last year?... "He saved us, he gets us, he worked miracles lifting the club off the floor from the previous rubbish manager, we need to back him and give him time" etc - sound familiar?

If 21 points from 18 games is enough for you to plant your Dyche flag, have at it. I'd prefer to see if the talk comes to fruition first. 👍
But Frank turned a mediocre team into a relegation threatened side, whereas Dyche inherited a side that was firmly ensconced in the bottom two and that the pundits had written off.... and then kept us up.

We were never in the bottom 3 until Frank came along.

But Frank turned a mediocre team into a relegation threatened side, whereas Dyche inherited a side that was firmly ensconced in the bottom two and that the pundits had written off.... and then kept us up.

We were never in the bottom 3 until Frank came along.
With hindsight sure, but that wasn't my point. At the end of last season there was a 'Lampard euphoria' with people saying this was finally the right guy for us, he saved us, he's the one to get behind and back etc; the exact same things people are saying now about Dyche - possibly based on a similar reactionary euphoria (the "miracle" of keeping us up with 18 games to play and being just 2 points adrift I think it was).

Last summer everyone was excited/hopeful for Lampard to get us on the right path, just like they are now with Dyche, and then the wheels fell off. The same might happen with Dyche, it might not. My point was about perhaps wait and see how the upcoming season goes first before racing to label a guy who won 5 of 18 games as "the one" we've been waiting for. But each to their own.

Dyche deserves another crack. Thelwell also needs to get his priorities right. Lack of goals put us in this position by not having an adequate forward for more than half a season. Half decent forward(s) and a little more creativity in the midfield is what is needed for a mid-table finish and a base to go to BMD. Thelwell and Lampard cost us last season by being reliant on DCL. We cannot make the same mistake and now look for a adequate replacement. The points we dropped last season through lack of goals was negligence and that is the area we have to concentrate on first.

The team now is actually competitive for the entire match. Other fans we tell you once the banter is over fitness was a major flaw of Everton in recent seasons. This will only improve with pre season. If detractors can't bring themselves to admit that Dyche has players match fit for the premiere league, then bluntly football in general is not your thing.

One thing telling about results under Dyche is we dug out 3 late draws against Chelsea, Tottenham and Wolves, this could be construed as lucky but could also been interpreted as playing till the final whistle. To my memory I don’t think we lost a game from a winning position.

Which is 42 points in a season. That would have got us 13th this season. Pretty sure we'd all take that wouldn't we?
We would. And this is my issue. Lampard also managed a similar return over 18 games in his first half season. And we were saying this about him as well about how he deserved another season. Lampard got 20 points in 18 compared to dyches 21.

Which is why I’m reluctant to jump on the bandwagon at this point.

We would. And this is my issue. Lampard also managed a similar return over 18 games in his first half season. And we were saying this about him as well about how he deserved another season. Lampard got 20 points in 18 compared to dyches 21.

I get what you're saying. I'm not entirely sold on Dyche. I don't think we're in a position to do much better, and you know what you get from Dyche as opposed to a gamble on perhaps an up and coming manager. I'll support him through and through though, what he's done to keep us up with the resources and players at his disposal has been very very good.

Lampard also got 20 points this season from 30 games.

He is flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.