Royston Drenthe

Status
Not open for further replies.
He went out on a bender 3 days before that semi and literally tried to break into Finch Farm after hours whilst drunk and beaked out of his mind, with a couple of grasses in tow to boot. How could he be named in a squad after that? Whilst that game was happening he was probably lying in a doss house in a puddle sick of somewhere.

He should started the game, and been made captain for that alone.

...no, defo not. He had his own method of dealing with players though and I doubt very much he'd have decided to do what Moyes did.
I’m all for the beer and curry method like.

You’d get me to do anything with that promise.

If that dullard Moyes had included him for the Liverpool SF he'd have had someone to bring on and get them going in the opposite direction to our goal when we were 1-0 up.

Sgt Major Moyes knew best though. Tactical giant.
Judging by Career I’m sure Moyes was right about. We are clutching at staws if we thought he was going to save the day

I must have missed Drebthe being here and knifing Moyes front and back in the media.

Drenthe admitted months after leaving he blew his career here and that he should have listened to Moyes who was trying to help him with his tough love.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/everton-royston-drenthe-admits-blew-1713759

The ginger one got a lot of things wrong and bottled a lot of decisions at key moments but throwing out Drenthe, no matter how effective he could be, was not one of them. I blame him very much for losing that semi but not for his team selection but because he didn't have a big enough set to go for the kill in the 2nd half when we had them on the ropes, begging to be killed off.

Drenthe admitted months after leaving he blew his career here and that he should have listened to Moyes who was trying to help him with his tough love.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/everton-royston-drenthe-admits-blew-1713759

The ginger one got a lot of things wrong and bottled a lot of decisions at key moments but throwing out Drenthe, no matter how effective he could be, was not one of them. I blame him very much for losing that semi but not for his team selection but because he didn't have a big enough set to go for the kill in the 2nd half when we had them on the ropes, begging to be killed off.
...because there was no one on the bench to change the game's momentum....the game changer was back in Liverpool where Moyes had left him.

So....he was still a tit and turning up late for training was the last straw.

If that's all it was then Moyes comes out of it looking terribly inept in my opinion. Yes the player was a loon who probably deserved to be binned off but FFS do it at the end of the season, not the week before the biggest game of your entire tenure (minus the '09 final). I've defended Moyes over this the past few years, I believed the infamous break-in story because just look at the bolded comments at the top of this page! I felt there was nothing else much he (Moyes) could do but effectively dismiss Drenthe for gross misconduct.

If what Drenthe's saying is true though (and why would he lie at this point, honestly?) then all time I have for Moyes is gone. It was a culmination, not one big "OH MY GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!" type of thing. Missing a team meeting but still getting to training at a reasonable time before anyone had even started anything for the day, is that worth sacking someone over in such an important week?

He doesn't spend the interview slagging Moyes or anyone off really, he looks back at the whole experience as a great time and admits he let himself down by not trying harder to listen. He's asked point blank what happened and gives a very detailed and plausible sounding explanation. It's brought the hurt of losing that game flooding back for me, it was all so avoidable.

Last edited:

If that's all it was then Moyes comes out of it looking terribly inept in my opinion. Yes the player was a loon who probably deserved to be binned off but FFS do it at the end of the season, not the week before the biggest game of your entire tenure (minus the '09 final). I've defended Moyes over this the past few years, I believed the infamous break-in story because just look at the bolded comments at the top of this page! I felt there was nothing else much he (Moyes) could do but effectively dismiss Drenthe for gross misconduct.

If what Drenthe's saying is true though (and why would he lie at this point, honestly?) then all time I have for Moyes is gone. It was a culmination, not one big "OH MY GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!" type of thing. Missing a team meeting but still getting to training at a reasonable time before anyone had even started anything for the day, is that worth sacking someone over in such an important week?

He doesn't spend the interview slagging Moyes or anyone off really, he looks back at the whole experience as a great time and admits he let himself down by not trying harder to listen. He's asked point blank what happened and gives a very detailed and plausible sounding explanation. It's brought the hurt of losing that game flooding back for me, it was all so avoidable.

I think it just shows how much Moyes couldn't handle big games, I bet he walked around Finch farm like a highly strung teenage girl before her prom night that week, snapping at everyone and Drenthe copped it, the right decision was he plays and gets disciplined after

I think it just shows how much Moyes couldn't handle big games, I bet he walked around Finch farm like a highly strung teenage girl before her prom night that week, snapping at everyone and Drenthe copped it, the right decision was he plays and gets disciplined after

Add to this what Neville said the other week on Sky, how before a derby the entire club would be on edge from the management to the Finch Farm staff. Just nobody involved at all seemingly who can handle big pressure games. No wonder we've won nothing for yonks.

Or...Drenthe was being a bell most of the season, important week came up, and he was still unprofessional.

Sounds like a last chance for a player who was a on loan and Moyes binned him.

And as for the game, if it wasn't for a pass back and Andy Carroll murdering Jags, we'd have got something out of it.

Or...Drenthe was being a bell most of the season, important week came up, and he was still unprofessional.

Sounds like a last chance for a player who was a on loan and Moyes binned him.

And as for the game, if it wasn't for a pass back and Andy Carroll murdering Jags, we'd have got something out of it.

Exactly, he's on loan. He wasn't our responsibility, he was there to be used when we saw fit. Absolutely no reason why we couldn't use every bit of him we could then jibbed him off with no trouble at all at the season's end. Moyes put his ego before the good of the side and the supporters, simple as that. Imagine a player with his pace and trickery running at a geriatric Carragher, we could have had it wrapped up and all gone on the ale inside 30 minutes. Instead we used a teacher's pet in Magaye Gueye who had the athleticism of Roy Chubby Brown. Moyes is the reason we lost that day, that can never be disputed.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.