2017/18 Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
The truth is somewhere in the middle really.

He is a good premier league player. It would be nice to keep hold of him as he is good enough to play for the first team and a very good squad player.

At the same time he is not irreplaceable either. If he goes he goes.

Exactly this, yet some would make you believe we are really missing him and it will be a catastrophe when he goes.

Whenever a good player wants to leave they almost suddenly don't become any good at football any more

Stones, Lukaku and now Barkley have all suddenly become bad footballers

Funny how that happens
Yep it's almost as funny as when said player wants to leave and we have a bad game said player would of course been the answer to all of our problems! And they become far better players then they ever actually were in the minds of some of our fans.

Of course it is, but nuance seems to be lacking with some around here

If you mean me as I am the one who replied to you directly, show me a post where I say he is rubbish. He clearly isn't rubbish, but is far from anything special either.

He looked like he was going to be very good, but sadly hasn't fulfilled those hopes for him.

Looking in as an outsider, you could possibly use this ridiculous situation as a barometer to understand why that has happened.

Who do we think is going to out a bid in with a week to go and will it be enough for us to want to sell him?

20m? no imo
35m yes if he wants to go and nothing close to that I wouldn't be selling him.
Come January he won't be worth anything like even of those quoted sums, by next summer zero, unfortunately best offer, if there even is one no matter how low is all we will get, if anyone is willing to pay 20 we would be lucky. Anyway were moving on fine without him, the money would of been handy tho

Think he would compliment the current squad nicely tbh options are vital and I will be pleased if he is a part of this season. Would give us something a little different.

He looked like he was going to be very good, but sadly hasn't fulfilled those hopes for him.
This got me thinking...(dangerous, I know)... Without doubt, we produce some great players through our Academy & it could be that it is a sought after position amongst the youth coming through. What happens when they mature though seems to be another thing entirely.

It seems like the club cannot get these players past that 'good as a kid' point and on to become world class players. Rooney is a good example where he took the next step after leaving us. It's an arguable point whether he would've taken the next step here or not but still, I can't help but think of players like Rodwell that were destined for big things but faded away somewhat.

Now, of course, Rodwell did move on but it didn't help him. A multitude of reasons could account for that, but I just wonder if we are good at producing 'prospects' only...which is fine. We just need to cash in before they fade I guess...

Sorry, just thinking out loud from a distance. ;)

Just as 'jumping the shark' became an idiom for 'it's now gotten ridiculous and past it's use by date', the expression 'goosing a gangster's moll' will be idiom for a total balls up of a misstep, with dire consequence.

eg "well, that was a terrible decision by Coca Cola to change their branding"
"yes, it was, they've really goosed a gangster's moll"

I might recommend abbreviating it to 'goosed a gangster's'. I like the alliterative terseness of this.

Eg " that was a terrible decision to do that back heel Mo"
" yes, I goosed a gangster's there"

Last edited:
Come January he won't be worth anything like even of those quoted sums, by next summer zero, unfortunately best offer, if there even is one no matter how low is all we will get, if anyone is willing to pay 20 we would be lucky. Anyway were moving on fine without him, the money would of been handy tho
I wouldn't sell him if we are only going to get 20 mill! Leave him and take the hit as a statement to other clubs and other players! If we dont want you to go, you arent going! I vety rarely say this, but i am full of admiration for the balls Liverpool showed over Suarez and now Coutinho! Even if they did leave the next season, they left on Liverpools terms, not the players or their gobshite agents, and certainly not on the terms of the circling vulture clubs! I hope Southampton show the same balls over Van Dijk.

This got me thinking...(dangerous, I know)... Without doubt, we produce some great players through our Academy & it could be that it is a sought after position amongst the youth coming through. What happens when they mature though seems to be another thing entirely.

It seems like the club cannot get these players past that 'good as a kid' point and on to become world class players. Rooney is a good example where he took the next step after leaving us. It's an arguable point whether he would've taken the next step here or not but still, I can't help but think of players like Rodwell that were destined for big things but faded away somewhat.

Now, of course, Rodwell did move on but it didn't help him. A multitude of reasons could account for that, but I just wonder if we are good at producing 'prospects' only...which is fine. We just need to cash in before they fade I guess...

Sorry, just thinking out loud from a distance. ;)

Barkley is still a very good premier league player, so a big pat on the back for the academy and the club for his development.

This is just my opinion of course, all I have to go on here are the reports that he cannot take a bit of constructive criticism which came from the report from Paul Joyce that he took umbrage with Koeman.

Barkley is an enigma! He has the potential to be top draw and it seems to me that he needs a manager who will be firm with him as he appears to be a bit of a child still. However, now he has one of those he cannot deal with it, which possibly is the damage done by the previous joke of a manager who blew smoke up his hoop however he was performing.

I still fully expect Ross to leave even if injured. It’s a shame but the boy doesn’t want to be here.

In a perfect world we’d sell him to Spurs as part of a deal to take Toby Alderweireld off their hands as he’s not signing a new deal with them because he wants top wages. They’ve already signed that defender from Ajax for big money so they may be preparing for him to leave? Wishful thinking I know.

Likelihood is Spurs or Chelsea will bid low on deadline day and get him for 20ish million which is an absolute bargain.

I still fully expect Ross to leave even if injured. It’s a shame but the boy doesn’t want to be here.

In a perfect world we’d sell him to Spurs as part of a deal to take Toby Alderweireld off their hands as he’s not signing a new deal with them because he wants top wages. They’ve already signed that defender from Ajax for big money so they may be preparing for him to leave? Wishful thinking I know.

Likelihood is Spurs or Chelsea will bid low on deadline day and get him for 20ish million which is an absolute bargain.
great shout

Status
Not open for further replies.