Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say it is ridiculous to finish in the top 4 this season. We are miles behind clubs who have invested in their squads consistently for years. To expect to finish above them after one really big window of spending is daft.
Agree with you, but it was also ridiculous that Leicester won the league. Would they have done so with the manager telling them they've not a hope in hell, aren't good enough and should settle for mid table at best? I don't think for 1 second we should be mixing it with the top 4 and that doesnt annoy me, we're still about 150m of transfers away in my opinion and that's provided we don't lose players but what annoys me is the managers defeatist attitude, the same guy who's responsible for winning us games and trophies with his team selections and tactics.

I wish I could share your optimism over our chances of attaining a top 4 position. The moment we failed to get an adequate replacement for Rom, are chances for a top 4 finish nosedived. We have already been taken apart by united, Chelsea and Spurs and were lucky to get a point at city (due to our negative second half performance). To attain a top 4 position you have to take points off the other top 6 teams, one point out of 12 suggests we won't.

OK, I agree with almost all of that.

Where I differ slightly is that I believe the Manc clubs and Chelsea will play in a little league of their own this season.

Which IMO rules out the top three places.

So if that is the case, our own mini league will be us with Arsenal, Spurs and the RS.

None of those three teams look particularly scary right now.....us bending over for Spurs notwithstanding :(

And we are not too far off those three teams right now points wise so as far as I am concerned, from 4th place down is up for grabs.

Where I differ slightly is that I believe the Manc clubs and Chelsea will play in a little league of their own this season.

So if that is the case, our own mini league will be us with Arsenal, Spurs and the RS.

None of those three teams look particularly scary right now.....us bending over for Spurs notwithstanding :(

And we are not too far off those three teams right now points wise so as far as I am concerned, from 4th place down is up for grabs.
I know I keep harping on about it, but with no recognised centre forward, we are no way going to overtake the RS and Spurs. Even if we somehow managed to get one in January, we could well be out of the running by then anyway. I'm not being pessimistic just realistic, but I'd loved to be proved wrong;)

Maybe we should get out of the bottom four before we concentrate on getting in to the top four?

I know I keep harping on about it, but with no recognised centre forward, we are no way going to overtake the RS and Spurs. Even if we somehow managed to get one in January, we could well be out of the running by then anyway. I'm not being pessimistic just realistic, but I'd loved to be proved wrong;)
Nothing wrong in being a realist. I think you are right.
Our only hope would be a lack of consistency in those above us. Spurs, on current form, look unstoppable, but there is a very good chance that Kloppite and co will drop a few clangers, and the Arse will be their usual dithering selves.
As has been said though, it is up to us to first pull ourselves out of this mire before we can even consider flirting with the top four perimeter fence. We desperately need to get a good run going now, and build momentum, or it will be a sack of coal for us for Christmas, and a bleak new year.

Is that bizarre to think we should be challenging for top 4?. Koeman has spent £250m since hes been here.

Excuses for failure. He got it in early.

The idea that other teams have spent more means it rules us out is daft imo.

Spurs have spent less than City, United, Arsenal, RS, Chelsea...but are now a top 4 side.

Maybe it's down to the manager...

Status
Not open for further replies.