Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oi ,Internet warrior ,wind yer neck in lad.

You've told me to "Suck it" because I don't think Lukaku is god.

When I've said that's not very pleasant you've claimed I'm offended because I have "middle class sensibilities"?

We don't know each other. You're either on a decent wind up or you've got the IQ of a small pea. Either way you're vibes not for me. Later

I don't want to be winning the same amount of games as we did with Cahill and Fellaini.

I want to build a successful team. You do that by building around players like Lukaku. Not isolating him and then moaning about what he's not good at.

I think we can all agree that when we are the better team, and win the midfield battle, Lukaku scores goals with ease and wins us points. And that when we struggle against teams like we did at Anfield, he is much less effective. So surely you would rather get the rest of the team up to scratch so that we dominate more, and give him a platform to win us more games? Rather than bombing our best goalscorer in 30 years out for someone who will run dead hard every week.
He doesn't want to be here, and even he did, he wouldn't be prepared to rotate with another striker who could offer what he can't - something that would need to happen in order for Everton to actually win something.

We see when he plays for Belgium that it's not as straightforward as boosting the quality behind him. The BBC pundits were laughing at his performance against Italy, as he simply cannot deal with balls being fizzed into his feet.

I don't want to be winning the same amount of games as we did with Cahill and Fellaini.

I want to build a successful team. You do that by building around players like Lukaku. Not isolating him and then moaning about what he's not good at.

I think we can all agree that when we are the better team, and win the midfield battle, Lukaku scores goals with ease and wins us points. And that when we struggle against teams like we did at Anfield, he is much less effective. So surely you would rather get the rest of the team up to scratch so that we dominate more, and give him a platform to win us more games? Rather than bombing our best goalscorer in 30 years out for someone who will run dead hard every week.

I agree with some of what you're saying and that we need to support him more sometimes but ...

Not even bothering to compete for balls in the air against players who are shorter than him is pathetic. He backs out of hard tackles and doesn't use his strength as often as he should. His lack of work rate is unexcusable too, I don't expect him to run round like a headless chicken tiring himself out for when he does get a chance but in close games it's often mistakes made by oppositions defenders when they're being chased down and harassed that can lead to chances.

I can forgive a striker for not being good at certain things but lacking fight and workrate in any game, especially big matches, is inexcusable to me.

PS. I do really rate Lukaku and want him to stay but wether he stays or goes if he wants to become one of the best he needs to address that side of his game imo.

If you compare him to a striker like Drogba, he had all the fight and workrate that Lukaku lacks as well as the skill. I think that's why Lukaku gets stick because Drogba would often win Chelsea games when they were playing poorly, Lukaku just goes missing.

Last edited:

Doesn't matter what he does there will always be fans who moan at him because deep down they just don't like him its as simple as that

Loud minority, I'm sure. Never met anyone who went the game who actively disliked him. His song is sung on the regular, too.

I think the issue with rom over the last week in all honesty is a reflection on the team and the fan base rather than on him. Fans get on his back with no service like at the weekend and then when he doesn't really have a fantastic game like last night then fans want to pile pressure on him rather than support him. Perhaps that is his own doing and understandable but he is the best striker in 30 years at this club. Certainly miles better than anyone else we have currently no matter how much you want to argue that point.

Watching last night, is it not the case that the team is a little fragmented at the minute? Almost like a throwback to Martinez tactics where without the support of the players behind, lukaku is going to struggle? There isn't any real link up in the team and although mirallas I thought did well last night in that supporting role you could see where real money invested could make a real difference to going to places like that and getting real results.

I'm still not personally going to climb on top of the striker here because to be fair he still has no support really and the fact the team so heavily relies on him in a game is just for me, how far we have to go as a team before we are playing at the higher levels rather than a negative to rom himself. Even the best teams have support structures for their striker, we offer very little away from our first choice 11 all fit.

....I think that's fair, he didn't utilise situations but I'm sure if we'd have played one or two of those correctly he'd have punished United. For once I thought he led the line well and played his part. It wasn't a fancy performance but it was a gritty performance which is what he needs to do more often. I was happy with him last night.

sorry for the delay in responding mate, long day at work.

Yep I thought he was 100% better than against the rs but still 40% off what I'd expect. Not just blaming him though eggs, I thought it was him and Ross both guilty numerous times of wrong pass/run/decision.

3 times he tried to hit the ball 30+ yards away from goal. The odds are about 0.0001% of that happening and sometimes you just need to make the ball stick and retain some possession.

In the grand scheme of things last night's game didn't really matter because we are where we probably deserve to be. I just lost a lot of patience last night with the players up top who I thought cost us a potential easy 3 points

sorry for the delay in responding mate, long day at work.

Yep I thought he was 100% better than against the rs but still 40% off what I'd expect. Not just blaming him though eggs, I thought it was him and Ross both guilty numerous times of wrong pass/run/decision.

3 times he tried to hit the ball 30+ yards away from goal. The odds are about 0.0001% of that happening and sometimes you just need to make the ball stick and retain some possession.

In the grand scheme of things last night's game didn't really matter because we are where we probably deserve to be. I just lost a lot of patience last night with the players up top who I thought cost us a potential easy 3 points

...I don't disagree, think of the 2nd half against Sunderland early in the season where we broke with real purpose and direction. Last night was a missed opportunity. Spurs or the Reds would've finished them off. I'm wondering why Lookman seems to have lost favour, it looked an ideal set up for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.