Roberto's positivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most teams who lose regularly will have their managers 'taking positives' out of the game. They all do it. It a contradiction in terms. If you lose you lose and when it happens on a regular basis it doesn't make sense. It's just deflection from the real problem - you keep losing reagrdless of the reason. generally when you are in the bottom half of the table it's because you're not very good!
RM is continually positive to the point where his comments tend to be a bit embarrassing and his repetitive use of of keys words (phenomenal) are often used out of context. The fans aren't stupid and he needs to realise that otherwise the relationship between him and the supporters will just get worse. He was happy with the praise last season so has to take the criticism this year.
The only way to win back the respect of the rational thinking fans is to start winning games and drop the sales pitch after every poor performance.

He's a well versed and savvy communicator. It's just managing he seems to struggle with at the moment...

Tell you what though, I'd have been MUCH happier if he'd have come out after the penalty palaver and just politely yet sternly gone '...I'm not discussing that, that's something we'll address & talk about both as a team and in-house'...

But he didn't.

He's a well versed and savvy communicator. It's just managing he seems to struggle with at the moment...

Tell you what though, I'd have been MUCH happier if he'd have come out after the penalty palaver and just politely yet sternly gone '...I'm not discussing that, that's something we'll address & talk about both as a team and in-house'...

But he didn't.

I thought he was quite reserved about it.

Please merge if you don't think it needs another thread, mods, and I don't want this as a "is he the right guy?" etc. thread.

Keep seeing on here, facebook, twitter, loads of my mates etc.; people are getting really pissed off with Martinez for his endless positivity.

People watch us limp to a draw with WBA, WHU, etc and are screaming things like "that [Poor language removed] thinks we played well". Of course he fcukin doesn't!
Do you really think he walks into the GP dressing room on Monday and says "well done lads. Ross, I loved that you tried. Made up you took that pen, Kev." Does he f***!!

I wish people would just not take anything Martinez says literally.....He is never, ever, ever going to say something bad about a player or the team. We could get slapped 10-0 at home and he will never do it.

I partially recall an interview, think it was McCarthy (someone ex-Wigan so could have been Kone or Alcaraz maybe) where they said this is exactly what RM does, but he does go mental behind closed doors at times. I don't want a Harry Redknapp or Hodgson situation where he throws them under the bus for his preservation.

Different style, but it's exactly what Mourinho does. Mourinho will blame his gran's cat before he admits fault on Chelsea's part, and it's all deflection.

It's just his style. Berate him for poor tactics, poor subs, poor transfers etc, but why even think his press interviews are relevant??

I have read this through and agree not right to slag off players in public. However reading the rest of this how can it be said that Roberto has positivity???? For me I am tired of the meaningless guff that he has been spouting in conferences, and pre-match and post match interviews.

He has had how long now to sort this and get us back to winning, how many games have gone by where we had awful performances. How many more games does he need? This is the point, how many more losses do we have to endure, how far down the table do we have to drop before some thing is done.

Taking in the last 2/3 months of games, where is the positivity? I think it was on another thread where there was a quote after Wigan were relegated, " he was not the man to get them back up" Is he the man to get us back up the table, currently the way things lie I do not think so.

I disagree like, where the fans not him he's the manager
we listen to it after the match maybe the players getting a bollocking
interview/live would actually make them realise there going to have to change.
i , for one cannot watch his interviews after games now because its the same old
we played very well/unlucky blabla.. even if we didnt [like most] its a broken record now

Please merge if you don't think it needs another thread, mods, and I don't want this as a "is he the right guy?" etc. thread.

Keep seeing on here, facebook, twitter, loads of my mates etc.; people are getting really pissed off with Martinez for his endless positivity.

People watch us limp to a draw with WBA, WHU, etc and are screaming things like "that [Poor language removed] thinks we played well". Of course he fcukin doesn't!
Do you really think he walks into the GP dressing room on Monday and says "well done lads. Ross, I loved that you tried. Made up you took that pen, Kev." Does he f***!!

I wish people would just not take anything Martinez says literally.....He is never, ever, ever going to say something bad about a player or the team. We could get slapped 10-0 at home and he will never do it.

I partially recall an interview, think it was McCarthy (someone ex-Wigan so could have been Kone or Alcaraz maybe) where they said this is exactly what RM does, but he does go mental behind closed doors at times. I don't want a Harry Redknapp or Hodgson situation where he throws them under the bus for his preservation.

Different style, but it's exactly what Mourinho does. Mourinho will blame his gran's cat before he admits fault on Chelsea's part, and it's all deflection.

It's just his style. Berate him for poor tactics, poor subs, poor transfers etc, but why even think his press interviews are relevant??

Great post and I do understand where your coming from and your point is valid. However you mention Moirinho never slates a player in public. No he doesn't but he is honest in his assessment of his team and the performance if his Chelsea team have been garbage he will say it in public, Martinez does not, it makes him looks clueless. Take his comment after the Southampton game Martinez said "the performance was exceptional (or good) if the result wasn't" I mean come on that was a shambolic performance yet he says it was good now that is annoying. He could have said that is not a performance I expect of everton fc and it needs addressing but no he said it was good. That is just one example of this stupid positivity. I would never want him to slate a player in public and he was right not to enclave the miralles situation. Individual performances should kept behind closed doors but don't lie to us fans and make us for fools because we're not.

I wouldn't read too much into any public statement/interview etc.. They are made because there is a contractual obligation to provide words to the media/fans, they aren't an avenue for him to tell us what he feels/thinks.

What he says in public, and what he says in the Dressing room are two completely different things.
In Interviews he HAS to be positive or else it looks like the whole club has given up, he's pretty restricted in what he can say as well, he's not going to lay into any players or the ref, he can't blame anyone or else he'd be turning people against him (internally as well as picking up pointless fines form the FA)
In the Dressing Room however he can say exactly what he wants to people, wind them up, tear them down, arm around the shoulder etc.. None of that would ever get out though. I don't think for a single minute that he doesn't know exactly what the severity of the position, the extent of our bad performances, player unrest etc and isn't trying to push the right buttons with each individual player to get them to perform.

I want him next time to have a voodoo doll of the scapegoat for the blame of the next defeat against Palace.

Then to perform a ritual voodoo dance putting a curse on the scapegoat.

Next game, I will have a poll for the scapegoat of the match.

Me thinks, he thinks that we play exactly how he wants it playing with just one issue, the result. Roberto is a stats man who forgets about the most important stat, the result. As long as we pass, pass an pass it don't matter if we don't get the right result. That's why in post match interviews he's so happy an positive, cos the lads have done as ordered yet lost. Mad mentality but great if ya winning.

Same approach that was a breath of fresh air last season is, for some, grating now.

At least the manager is consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.