Roberto's positivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn´t mean a thing what he says to the media. I´ve said it countless times, I don´t understand why anybody of an adult age would look for comfort in the announcements of their manager when the team isn´t doing well. I stopped listening to Moyes after one season. he deflected too, in a negative way. Blaming outwards.

The problem with many posters on here is they can´t handle what is going on right now and their own reaction to it , so every little thing to do with the club becomes a target for their rage and negativity. You can want the manager changed and be upset with the season without flying off the handle at every sentence in a meaningless post match interview.

His positivity is a good way of working, and has worked for him and will continue to work for him. He is the manager we have for now, like it or not, stop looking for things from him that simply aren´t him. It´s like screaming for years for Moyes to not pick an out of form favourite. Pointless, because he was always going to go with players he trusted.

Seen interviews were players say his assistant is the one that goes mental on them and roberto is more like the dad that says 'im more disappointed than angry', which always makes you feel worse.

Plus you have the likes of Dunc in there

I have my own worries about Big Dunc's role at the club. But that's not for this thread.

The thing is Ijjy, I reckon a lot of us fans massively discount the small margins between success and failure, and the role external factors can play in being one side or the other. I mean it's been said that Man Utd have the same points now as they did under Moyes, but because other teams have been poorer this year and LvG is in a CL place, fans are ok with that, whereas they weren't ok with Moyes at all.

I strongly suspect that we did better last year than we should have done, and this year we're doing worse than we should have done (just as the RS did better last year than they should have done).

Martinez isn't the messiah, you know? He can't control each and every thing that goes on in a football match, nor how other teams perform around us. It wouldn't surprise me a great deal if he wasn't preparing the team in largely the same way as he did last season, but the results are wildly different.

Just needs a bit of perspective I reckon.

Reasoned point. Becoming all too rare.

Of course he's not going to throw specific players under the bus in interviews. But after a 1-0 home defeat by Stoke or a 2-0 surrender to Hull, a simple "we weren't good enough, we have to improve and I will work on it" would be much better to hear than blaming the referee or praising our phenomenal attitude and character
Yeah, I know it's frustrating mate, but I just wish people would just shrug it off for what it is, and have some faith he isn't saying these things to the team.

I don't disagree with any of that mate.

But don't really get what that has to do with him being overly positive in interviews?

Ok, I'll try and explain it better :)

As a club, there are things we can control, and things we can't control. I think the things we can't control have a huge bearing on our results, but I don't see there being any point in Martinez getting the bleach out because of those things.

I don't suppose that the things we can control have changed much between this season and last, so why should Martinez change his style in interviews? If he's preparing the side as well as he can and results aren't going our way for whatever reason, what is it we expect him to say?

For me, positivity is only a problem if Martinez is blind to any faults that exist in how the team is prepared each week. He may well be (and it's common in most of us to be honest), but I'm not sure we can really say that with any certainty. People seem to be getting mad because they're assuming positive interview = ignorance of any faults. I'm not sure we can make that assumption.

I tend to agree. He shouldn't berate the players in front of the cameras.

But he also shouldn't take us fans for fools. We know we aren't playing well so putting everything sooo positive isn't right either.

Not sure what the middle ground is.

And how do you know he goes mental at them behind closed doors? I hope he does but it's hard to imagine him going mental at anything.

Why do you think him being positive is taking people for fools?

is it that hard for some people to understand the way a positive person works? Why the assumption he is ignoring the problems and just trying to bluff?

it´s not like he didn´t make it very clear how he works and thinks. You could listen to that long fan interview and already know in advance how he would come across even in times like this.

I think people look for the manager to say something that reflects what they are thinking, and in some instances want to hear him say EXACTLY what they are thinking and don´t understand why he doesn´t. Again it´s adults looking for comfort in meaningless interviews. I don´t get it.

His positivity is just a front for the media, I agree. I dont think he goes too far with it, I remember when Hodgson was manager at the RS and he described their derby destruction as "utopia" - thats going too far!!!!

I have to admit I have found some of his interviews grating this season, not just the relentless positivity. Some of his comments on set pieces and not needing a good defensive record to get results have smacked of arrogance/delusion. Also when he gets carried away and says things like "gift from the footballing gods" before selling the player a few months later, it makes him look a bit daft.

That being said, managers have to do so many interviews/press conferences that they are bound to say a fair bit you aren't going to agree with.

I like Martinez for his optimism. However I always said if we were playing like Wigan he won't get away with his boundless optimism.

Of course I agree it's unlikely that he's carrying on like that on the training pitch. I can understand why fans are annoyed though, when they here us taking positives from a home draw against West Brom having not won a game in 7.

Ok, I'll try and explain it better :)

As a club, there are things we can control, and things we can't control. I think the things we can't control have a huge bearing on our results, but I don't see there being any point in Martinez getting the bleach out because of those things.

I don't suppose that the things we can control have changed much between this season and last, so why should Martinez change his style in interviews? If he's preparing the side as well as he can and results aren't going our way for whatever reason, what is it we expect him to say?

For me, positivity is only a problem if Martinez is blind to any faults that exist in how the team is prepared each week. He may well be (and it's common in most of us to be honest), but I'm not sure we can really say that with any certainty. People seem to be getting mad because they're assuming positive interview = ignorance of any faults. I'm not sure we can make that assumption.

RM continues to remain positive in Interviews. Fans see this, and the abysmal performances on the pitch, and assume RM is not seeing the problems. Crowd anxiety. Crowd boo when problems continue, and positive interviews also continue. The team, with a booing anxious crowd around them, continue to perform abysmally. The cycle continues.

It matters A LOT what RM says. The fans need to know that the manager is not blind to the problems. I'm not talking about hanging individuals out to dry, but he needs to let the fans know he is fully aware of the problems, and is the man to fix it.

I'd just like him for once to be honest and say what the issues are and how he plans to correct them, at least then we'd know he's working on changing stuff.

By being positive all the time I think it gives a lot of people the impression he thinks we are playing well and are just unlucky.

People start to think they're being taken for mugs when they continue hearing the same old post match cliches and positive platitudes.

There's a time to be diplomatic and protect the players, but equally there's a time to come out and placate the fans by saying it how it is, and admitting that a performance wasn't acceptable and fell short of the required standard. Not focussing on individuals but on the collective - including himself.

It doesn't matter what he says in front of the camera or the impression we get from his comments, It only matters what he's telling the players and the reaction they have from it

It doesn't matter what he says in front of the camera or the impression we get from his comments, It only matters what he's telling the players and the reaction they have from it

I think part of the issue is there doesn't seem to be a reaction from the players, so it makes you wonder if he tells them they weren't good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.