Roberto's positivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

graeme2911

Player Valuation: £2.5m
Please merge if you don't think it needs another thread, mods, and I don't want this as a "is he the right guy?" etc. thread.

Keep seeing on here, facebook, twitter, loads of my mates etc.; people are getting really pissed off with Martinez for his endless positivity.

People watch us limp to a draw with WBA, WHU, etc and are screaming things like "that prick thinks we played well". Of course he fcukin doesn't!
Do you really think he walks into the GP dressing room on Monday and says "well done lads. Ross, I loved that you tried. Made up you took that pen, Kev." Does he f***!!

I wish people would just not take anything Martinez says literally.....He is never, ever, ever going to say something bad about a player or the team. We could get slapped 10-0 at home and he will never do it.

I partially recall an interview, think it was McCarthy (someone ex-Wigan so could have been Kone or Alcaraz maybe) where they said this is exactly what RM does, but he does go mental behind closed doors at times. I don't want a Harry Redknapp or Hodgson situation where he throws them under the bus for his preservation.

Different style, but it's exactly what Mourinho does. Mourinho will blame his gran's cat before he admits fault on Chelsea's part, and it's all deflection.

It's just his style. Berate him for poor tactics, poor subs, poor transfers etc, but why even think his press interviews are relevant??

I tend to agree. He shouldn't berate the players in front of the cameras.

But he also shouldn't take us fans for fools. We know we aren't playing well so putting everything sooo positive isn't right either.

Not sure what the middle ground is.

And how do you know he goes mental at them behind closed doors? I hope he does but it's hard to imagine him going mental at anything.

I'd say the evidence is far more damning for ignoring most of what people write on Twitter or Facebook. It's a haven for knee-jerking and offence taking.
Very true!
But I do hear quite a few mates saying it on the way home after a game and we've got the radio on or read his quotes etc.

Just annoys me that people don't see it; that he's just deflecting.
I can see for myself that we've been [Poor language removed]. I don't need Martinez to tell me.

But he also shouldn't take us fans for fools. We know we aren't playing well so putting everything sooo positive isn't right either.

And how do you know he goes mental at them behind closed doors? I hope he does but it's hard to imagine him going mental at anything.

The thing is Ijjy, I reckon a lot of us fans massively discount the small margins between success and failure, and the role external factors can play in being one side or the other. I mean it's been said that Man Utd have the same points now as they did under Moyes, but because other teams have been poorer this year and LvG is in a CL place, fans are ok with that, whereas they weren't ok with Moyes at all.

I strongly suspect that we did better last year than we should have done, and this year we're doing worse than we should have done (just as the RS did better last year than they should have done).

Martinez isn't the messiah, you know? He can't control each and every thing that goes on in a football match, nor how other teams perform around us. It wouldn't surprise me a great deal if he wasn't preparing the team in largely the same way as he did last season, but the results are wildly different.

Just needs a bit of perspective I reckon.

Personally I just think that as he was learning English whilst playing over here he didn't have time to learn every word in the dictionary so just stuck to memorising the positive ones to look happy all the time. He has yet to this day ever bothered to learn what the term 'shower of sh*te' means.

Very true!
But I do hear quite a few mates saying it on the way home after a game and we've got the radio on or read his quotes etc.

Just annoys me that people don't see it; that he's just deflecting.
I can see for myself that we've been [Poor language removed]. I don't need Martinez to tell me.

And could you mind your language please mate, we get pinged by Google et al if there's excessive swearing on the site ;)

I'm not saying he definitely does go nuts, but I struggle to believe he is that positive to his players behind the scenes. I don't want him bawling at players every week, as they'll never want to play for him, but sometimes it is required.

As I say, I remember an interview where a player said he does lose his temper at times, but I can't find it online now.

The thing is Ijjy, I reckon a lot of us fans massively discount the small margins between success and failure, and the role external factors can play in being one side or the other. I mean it's been said that Man Utd have the same points now as they did under Moyes, but because other teams have been poorer this year and LvG is in a CL place, fans are ok with that, whereas they weren't ok with Moyes at all.

I strongly suspect that we did better last year than we should have done, and this year we're doing worse than we should have done (just as the RS did better last year than they should have done).

Martinez isn't the messiah, you know? He can't control each and every thing that goes on in a football match, nor how other teams perform around us. It wouldn't surprise me a great deal if he wasn't preparing the team in largely the same way as he did last season, but the results are wildly different.

Just needs a bit of perspective I reckon.

I don't disagree with any of that mate.

But don't really get what that has to do with him being overly positive in interviews?

I'm not saying he definitely does go nuts, but I struggle to believe he is that positive to his players behind the scenes. I don't want him bawling at players every week, as they'll never want to play for him, but sometimes it is required.

As I say, I remember an interview where a player said he does lose his temper at times, but I can't find it online now.

Yeah think I recall that interview now too. Can't remember for the life of me who it was.

Please merge if you don't think it needs another thread, mods, and I don't want this as a "is he the right guy?" etc. thread.

Keep seeing on here, facebook, twitter, loads of my mates etc.; people are getting really pissed off with Martinez for his endless positivity.

People watch us limp to a draw with WBA, WHU, etc and are screaming things like "that [Poor language removed] thinks we played well". Of course he fcukin doesn't!
Do you really think he walks into the GP dressing room on Monday and says "well done lads. Ross, I loved that you tried. Made up you took that pen, Kev." Does he f***!!

I wish people would just not take anything Martinez says literally.....He is never, ever, ever going to say something bad about a player or the team. We could get slapped 10-0 at home and he will never do it.

I partially recall an interview, think it was McCarthy (someone ex-Wigan so could have been Kone or Alcaraz maybe) where they said this is exactly what RM does, but he does go mental behind closed doors at times. I don't want a Harry Redknapp or Hodgson situation where he throws them under the bus for his preservation.

Different style, but it's exactly what Mourinho does. Mourinho will blame his gran's cat before he admits fault on Chelsea's part, and it's all deflection.

It's just his style. Berate him for poor tactics, poor subs, poor transfers etc, but why even think his press interviews are relevant??

Well said mate.
Kopites throw their own under the bus,
Thats not Everton.

Seen interviews were players say his assistant is the one that goes mental on them and roberto is more like the dad that says 'im more disappointed than angry', which always makes you feel worse.

Plus you have the likes of Dunc in there

Of course he's not going to throw specific players under the bus in interviews. But after a 1-0 home defeat by Stoke or a 2-0 surrender to Hull, a simple "we weren't good enough, we have to improve and I will work on it" would be much better to hear than blaming the referee or praising our phenomenal attitude and character

Status
Not open for further replies.