Roberto Martinez Stadium drawing..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can see both sides.

One positive for me is it's a statement of a new era.

As is signing a 21 year old striker for 28million.

And signing a 21 year old Bosnian world cup star midfielder who slings the ball around like its nothing.

And signing Mccarthy for 13 million and surprising everyone when he partners him with Gareth Barry and it turns out to be an amazing partnership.

Because it's cringeworthy. As said, if the Kopites did this with Rodgers we'd be in tears laughing at them. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Yeah, that's because its Rodgers and he's pretty much just a mandarin orange with dentures. The new mural isn't exactly subtle but I agree with @RaleighBlue that it makes sense from a commercial perspective. Who cares what Kopites think?

How long after moyes called us the peoples club was that splashed over the ground?

But that is branding - not personalising a man as the club, but taking a slogan and applying it to a brand.

I have no problem with strong branding, but this isn't it - this is just small time, as you're effectively canonizing a guy who has been manager of a club for 12 months, when said club has existed since 1878.

I'd have understood a sort of "evolution" mural, with Dixie, to Gray, to Ferguson, to Cahill, to Lukaku, and talking about a "new era" or whatever. That's strong branding and a statement of intent. But I don't understand what we're doing here.

There is going to be some major referencing in the vaults

When Martinez lifts silverware at the end of this season.

images

Would Martinez even ever let the club put his face up like this? He doesn't seem like a selfish person to go ahead and say "A mural of me? Sure, I deserve it."

Not with our current financial constraints, which is why this idea of us going on to be the best because of Roberto is strange. He's not a miracle worker.
You may be right of course, but the feeling that Roberto is propagating through our club is one of hope and positivity. We may not win the league, and I agree that we certainly won't with our current financial constraints. But it may not be impossible to change those constraints.

Clever management and a great youth system can paper over an awful lot of financial constraints. Maybe we can never win the Prem, but I'm not absolutely certain of that any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.