Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it's what gets to me I feel for the man. He is trying to do a job after all, albeit not a very good one. I hope it works out for him either way!

I don't doubt for a second that he wants to succeed, but paradoxically he won't do it at any cost, he'll continually do it the one way he's always done it, which doesn't bring success.

I suspect becoming a father has played a major role.

Getting up at 4am to change a nappy when your job is on the line can't be much fun.

Errr, who was the last Premiership club ti sack their manager in the middle of April???? Semi or no semi.....

I bet they've not gone on to great things, if there's even such a club.
They're not going to sack him though, it's just my opinion. I'd love to be proved wrong on Saturday as well. He'd have been gone Xmas 2014 if the club took my opinions on board.

Roberto Martinez and Arsene Wenger's tired acts have worn thin

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/barc...ez-and-arsene-wengers-tired-acts-wearing-thin

(Shaka Hislop tears into Martinez on the video associated with the link)

The art of positive thinking is clearly an important one in football. Confidence is crucial, and a large part of a manager's job is to encourage this sort of attitude, which is one of the reasons why Claudio Ranieri and his breezy approach has been so successful at Leicester.

Managers are essentially part-tacticians, part-psychologists. Their job is to get the best out of their players using whatever means necessary, meaning that it sometimes doesn't really matter if what they're saying is true, as long as it has the desired positive impact.

The mentality of being a successful Premier League manager is something most of us can only observe and speculate on, with judgements about their behaviour potentially harsh. That said; there are some occasions when departure from reality becomes rather alarming. Which brings us to Arsene Wenger and Roberto Martinez.

To say that Martinez, the Everton manager, is relentlessly upbeat would be an understatement of the first order. This is a man who would make Tigger look like Eeyore, constantly gushing about how wonderful his team are and how beautifully they've played. This of course would be fine if Everton were riding high in the league, their success undeniable and their football as free-flowing as Martinez's words of praise.

But they're 11th in the table, closer to the relegation zone than the top four and their draw against Southampton at the weekend ensured their final home points total for the season will be their lowest ever in the top-flight.

Martinez's comments reached a peak level of absurdity after their draw with Crystal Palace last week. Granted, they had to play the final 38 minutes with 10 men after James McCarthy was sent off, but the manager declared a point against a side that have won once in 2016 to be "more than a decent result" and went on to exclaim: "It was an incredible, positive performance. The resilience and hard work, and to be able to be so solid, was great...To play like that with 10 men, it was incredibly satisfying."

It's also worth noting that discontent in the stands at Goodison Park is probably at its highest in at least 15 years, with banners supporting Leighton Baines after the left-back had to apologise for suggesting the "chemistry" was not right in their squad, plus a fan was moved to confront Martinez during the Southampton draw.

It should go without saying that any manager should be able to go about his job without threat of physical violence, but it's possible that the fans are so unhappy not just because they're watching their most talented squad in a generation be squandered, but that the manager's public attitude seems to suggest that everything is fine.

There are other examples too, most notably recently declaring that he wouldn't sell Tom Cleverley "for any money in the current market." Hopefully someone jokingly bids £60million to test his theory on that one. Hearing Martinez emote with such gusto is a little like watching a man enthuse about a building's great structure and solid foundations as it slowly collapses behind him.

With new investors gaining more influence at the club, in theory Martinez will have to do something fairly impressive to persuade them to keep his job (such as a victory in the FA Cup semi-final against Manchester United this weekend, the reaching of which should not be ignored), but there hasn't been much suggestion that his position is in much danger.

Everton might be wise to look at another manager who tends to accentuate the positives to observe the danger of sticking with someone like that for too long

They're not going to sack him though, it's just my opinion. I'd love to be proved wrong on Saturday as well. He'd have been gone Xmas 2014 if the club took my opinions on board.

Oh, so you'd go against the norm -the accepted norm- and sack him anyway? Even though it would be against the principles of every decent football man? Hey, Villa just sacked their manager... Maybe we can go one better....

Oh, so you'd go against the norm -the accepted norm- and sack him anyway? Even though it would be against the principles of every decent football man? Hey, Villa just sacked their manager... Maybe we can go one better....
Not sure if you are trying to get a rise out of me mate so I'll leave it there if you don't mind.

Gonna be hilarious if we finish in the top half and win the FA cup, LOL.

Not that funny though, seeing as everybody has decided it's not gonna happen.

Best we can realistically finish in the League is tenth.

I still fancy us for the cup like, but 10th at best in the League after 11th last season ? Sorry, I appreciate the sentiment behind your post, and fair play to you for not just going with the majority, but sooner or later we have to acknowledge the reality of the situation which is that he hasn't consistently got the best out of his squad over the last three seasons.

Could someone else do better ? Yes, I think there are managers out there who could do better.

Do I know who they are ? No, not 100%

Am I willing to take the risk that the next manager may be no better than Martinez ? Absolutely.

But are we being "seriously" linked with Jose outwith the confines of this forum.

That bloke presenting the radio programme couldn't conceal his contempt for the idea when he spoke to Esk on Saturday night.

In his rush to knock down the idea that Jose would ever consider Everton, he failed to allow me to explain Jose approached Everton not the other way round. The point was not worth continuing.

Anyway that call from my perspective was more about making sure more people in the footballing world understood why Martinez has to go than who was coming in next.

Roberto Martinez and Arsene Wenger's tired acts have worn thin

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/barc...ez-and-arsene-wengers-tired-acts-wearing-thin

(Shaka Hislop tears into Martinez on the video associated with the link)

The art of positive thinking is clearly an important one in football. Confidence is crucial, and a large part of a manager's job is to encourage this sort of attitude, which is one of the reasons why Claudio Ranieri and his breezy approach has been so successful at Leicester.

Managers are essentially part-tacticians, part-psychologists. Their job is to get the best out of their players using whatever means necessary, meaning that it sometimes doesn't really matter if what they're saying is true, as long as it has the desired positive impact.

The mentality of being a successful Premier League manager is something most of us can only observe and speculate on, with judgements about their behaviour potentially harsh. That said; there are some occasions when departure from reality becomes rather alarming. Which brings us to Arsene Wenger and Roberto Martinez.

To say that Martinez, the Everton manager, is relentlessly upbeat would be an understatement of the first order. This is a man who would make Tigger look like Eeyore, constantly gushing about how wonderful his team are and how beautifully they've played. This of course would be fine if Everton were riding high in the league, their success undeniable and their football as free-flowing as Martinez's words of praise.

But they're 11th in the table, closer to the relegation zone than the top four and their draw against Southampton at the weekend ensured their final home points total for the season will be their lowest ever in the top-flight.

Martinez's comments reached a peak level of absurdity after their draw with Crystal Palace last week. Granted, they had to play the final 38 minutes with 10 men after James McCarthy was sent off, but the manager declared a point against a side that have won once in 2016 to be "more than a decent result" and went on to exclaim: "It was an incredible, positive performance. The resilience and hard work, and to be able to be so solid, was great...To play like that with 10 men, it was incredibly satisfying."

It's also worth noting that discontent in the stands at Goodison Park is probably at its highest in at least 15 years, with banners supporting Leighton Baines after the left-back had to apologise for suggesting the "chemistry" was not right in their squad, plus a fan was moved to confront Martinez during the Southampton draw.

It should go without saying that any manager should be able to go about his job without threat of physical violence, but it's possible that the fans are so unhappy not just because they're watching their most talented squad in a generation be squandered, but that the manager's public attitude seems to suggest that everything is fine.

There are other examples too, most notably recently declaring that he wouldn't sell Tom Cleverley "for any money in the current market." Hopefully someone jokingly bids £60million to test his theory on that one. Hearing Martinez emote with such gusto is a little like watching a man enthuse about a building's great structure and solid foundations as it slowly collapses behind him.

With new investors gaining more influence at the club, in theory Martinez will have to do something fairly impressive to persuade them to keep his job (such as a victory in the FA Cup semi-final against Manchester United this weekend, the reaching of which should not be ignored), but there hasn't been much suggestion that his position is in much danger.

Everton might be wise to look at another manager who tends to accentuate the positives to observe the danger of sticking with someone like that for too long

Wenger is a managerial legend that is past his peak

Martinez is a championship manager completely out of his depth.

Bit stupid comparing the two

I still fancy us for the cup like, but 10th at best in the League after 11th last season ? Sorry, I appreciate the sentiment behind your post, and fair play to you for not just going with the majority, but sooner or later we have to acknowledge the reality of the situation which is that he hasn't consistently got the best out of his squad over the last three seasons.

Could someone else do better ? Yes, I think there are managers out there who could do better.

Am I willing to take the risk that the next manager may be no better than Martinez ? Absolutely.

I agree mate. It's not good enough. But now is not the time to be replacing a manager.

Regardless of how he finishes the season so much damage has been done. Obviously if we did win the cup and win the remaining league games then I'd be absolutely shocked if we get rid of him, but what are the chances of that happening?

Just look at how we're playing right now. Much more likely we'll go out on Saturday and stumble across the finish line in the league given everything that's gone before.

In his rush to knock down the idea that Jose would never consider Everton, he failed to allow me to explain Jose approached Everton not the other way round. The point was not worth continuing.

Anyway that call from my perspective was more about making sure more people in the footballing world understood why Martinez has to go than who was coming in next.
Well that's a game changer right there!

In his rush to knock down the idea that Jose would never consider Everton, he failed to allow me to explain Jose approached Everton not the other way round. The point was not worth continuing.

(Reaches for the smelling salts...)

Before anyone gets to excited, it doesn't mean he's coming here but he's desperate to stay in the PL and us and United are the only realistic openings. United was , and possibly still is, not a done deal, so he expressed a lot of interest in Everton and that has continued.

I stress I do not know the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.