2018/19 Richarlison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, he certainly seems to be more of a threat from out wide right now versus being a striker or target man. At least for now, as Zook pointed out.

But we lose any threat up front then.

Like, a half-threatening Richarlison is still consistently better than DCL/Tosun.

But it's the system that's the main crux.

It can work. It definitely can, when played right, but at the moment this 4-2-3-1 - which is really a 4-2-4 the way we play it - isn't clicking and teams are figuring it out. Then we have players in crap form (Gylfi, Gomes, Richarlison) on top.

Keep playing him even through the poor patches. The boy is going to be quality.

Definitely although I wouldn't be adverse to him dropping out to the bench if we switched system.

It's just horses for courses and I don't think this manager is doing it enough.

Surprised by how many people see him as a winger, I thought he looked pretty one dimensional out wide personally. For me he's a striker but just not being helped by how we're playing right now. He's the same type as a Salah/Henry/Alexis Sanchez I think, someone who can drift in from wide positions but is really at their best in front of goal.

Surprised by how many people see him as a winger, I thought he looked pretty one dimensional out wide personally. For me he's a striker but just not being helped by how we're playing right now. He's the same type as a Salah/Henry/Alexis Sanchez I think, someone who can drift in from wide positions but is really at their best in front of goal.

Think it depends how it's played to be fair matey.

I agree, but in those early games he was excellent from the left, generally.

However, we were then playing with Tosun who was at that stage playing pretty well and acted as a bit of a focal point. It meant that Richarlison had the space to dart around in the channels, and we had Walcott in form too.

Things change and systems need to adapt, obviously.

I don't see him as being a natural fit in a 4-2-3-1 on the left, at least not the way we play it which is with a lot of width. He isn't someone who gets chalk on his boots and looks to whip a cross in. In fact, the only winger we have like that in our squad has just come back from a poor loan spell at Villa and I doubt will be part of the team any time soon.

Like you I think his 'natural' position is as an inside forward, in a proper, fluent three. There's a difference between that and a winger. Ultimately though I don't know if we have the personnel to make that system work either but heck, must be worth a try, either in a 4-3-3 (flat three in the middle) or a 3-4-3.

He gets in our best team in any system. Would be madness to drop him.

I am a bit torn as v Millwall I'd actually like to see the same team that played v Burnley.

I think against a side we can dominate the ball against Gylfi and Gomes can work - but both need to be better than they have been recently - in a 3-4-3.

I think in that system however we need a focal point and DCL plays that role well away from home.

I think Bernard/Lookman need to be one of the other players in the 3, as they can drop into midfield, pick the ball up and drive forward.

The other forward then has to be someone who is going to look to run behind the defence and stretch them. Walcott does this better than anybody in our squad but his form is poor.

So that's all my thinking is. If I had to choose, I'd say have Rich over Walcott in this hypothetical scenario, but just putting my reasoning there.

Because we're cack Toff. Richarlison is now looking well pissed off playing up front, just doesn't look like he's enjoying his footy anymore, unlike when he first came in and was playing out on the left.

Tbf though he's played more times central than left. He only had 4 games for us wide left earlier in the season. People act like it was 10/11 fixtures.

He's not a striker but equally not a winger. He's a forward who prefers to drift inside. His 'natural' position is left in a front three, but a proper, fluent front three, not like the 4-2-3-1/4-2-4 we play.

His best attribute right now is that he has goals in him. All round game is bordering on dreadful though.

If there´s an option to choose you can guarantee he´ll pick the wrong one. So much for him to learn/work on but at least there´s something there, even if he does ridiculously frustrate me.

Had a couple of great moments today but some absolutely terrible ones too.

His quality is always worth having on the pitch, teams hate playing against him.

He seems to play better when Cenk is up top.

His best attribute right now is that he has goals in him. All round game is bordering on dreadful though.

If there´s an option to choose you can guarantee he´ll pick the wrong one. So much for him to learn/work on but at least there´s something there, even if he does ridiculously frustrate me.
He needs to add something else. Whether it is the hold up play that allows him to play up top or some kind of creativity so he can play out wide it doesn't matter, but he needs to do something else in a game so that when he doesn't score he still contributes a bit.

He needs to add something else. Whether it is the hold up play that allows him to play up top or some kind of creativity so he can play out wide it doesn't matter, but he needs to do something else in a game so that when he doesn't score he still contributes a bit.

Absolutely, right now he´s just breaking down attacks by running into brick walls. His goals will mean he escapes real scrutiny but by August he needs to have developed. A flying winger like him should have had a few games this season where he´s terrorised a defender. I can´t think of one.

make out sound like Watford had him for years and he done it every year, he done it last season after he never had a break for about 2 years with how the seasons worked at his old/new club

he's been less effective recently but who hasn't? he's just not a striker

lets also remember he hit the post against brighton and had 1 cleared off the against Bournemouth so it's not like hes been miles of the pace, just isn't going for him like most at the moment

Joint 5th in the prem for goals.

Had those two gone in (post and off the line) hed be 4th.

For a 21 year old out of position thats pretty good!

9 goals in half a season is good for a left winger stuck up front.

Still think hes an inside forward myself, looking forward to seeing him on the left in a 433.

Keep playing him even through the poor patches. The boy is going to be quality.

100%

He ain't a winger.

He isn't a striker either.

He can play wide - more of an inside forward jobby in old terms - if it's a proper front three. Like it was at Watford last year and like it is for Brazil (albeit with far better players).

He's done great overall this season but in a 4-2-3-1, if he plays wide he is currently getting marked out of the game and pushed to the touchline, where he's no use at all, because his crossing is atrocious. He's all about cutting inside and getting into those gaps/channels.

Spot on...10 goals with 14 to play in the prem...thats a great hit rate.

433 him on the left i think he'll be flying.

Absolutely, right now he´s just breaking down attacks by running into brick walls. His goals will mean he escapes real scrutiny but by August he needs to have developed. A flying winger like him should have had a few games this season where he´s terrorised a defender. I can´t think of one.

Hes not a flying winger though?

The fact he scores goals and the opposition are scared of him should be fine and for a 21 year old the fact hes scoring is a massive bonus.

We just need to build the rest of the team now

Status
Not open for further replies.