2018/19 Richarlison

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I see" said the blind man to his deaf wife.

Get off your computer games and watch them play.
I concede that I did play FIFA today for 5 minutes to help my son set up his scouting network. That did happen. It's been some time since I touched a controller and it was supremely awkward, but I cannot tell a lie. Ha.

But look, I've seen them play. I guarrantee I've seen Lozano play WAY more than you have. I've literally seen Lookman play every professional game he's ever played. I know you like young players, I know you LOVE these unproven young talents, but they are still unproven, are not regular choices for their club sidesand we are trying to break the top 6 in one of the best 2 leagues in the world (La Liga might be better).

Lookman has started a single game for us and still didn't go 90. He hasn't played in Gylfi's position for any significant amount of time and I sure think he's a much better 7 in Silva's front 3. If you believe he should play more, that's fine. But I'm not sure what evidence you've see that he can replicate the production of Gylfi both offensively and defensively, and definitely not as a 10.

JK Augustin has gone 90 minutes this year in the Bundesliga maybe once so far this year and he played on the right in that match. He did play a bit more last year and scored some goals as a second forward usually paired with Werner. He looked good, but I'm not sure he's ever played as a single CF in his entire life Talented? Sure. Ready to play as a single CF and lead the line for a top 6/7 club in the PL? Of course not. Ready to push Bernard to the bench because we'd rather have Augustin up front and push Richarlison back left? Richy has 4 goals in 8 games as a CF. Nope.

Chucky is at least a regular choice for his side, although the league is a massive drop off from the PL. He's show he can play in the CL against the likes of Inter, Barca, Spurs, and hold his own. I'd love to see him on the right for us, think he could improve upon what Walcott has done, but that's still far from a sure thing. He might be physically outmatched in the PL. But he's worth a shot to me.

I concede that I did play FIFA today for 5 minutes to help my son set up his scouting network. That did happen. It's been some time since I touched a controller and it was supremely awkward, but I cannot tell a lie. Ha.

But look, I've seen them play. I guarrantee I've seen Lozano play WAY more than you have. I've literally seen Lookman play every professional game he's ever played. I know you like young players, I know you LOVE these unproven young talents, but they are still unproven, are not regular choices for their club sidesand we are trying to break the top 6 in one of the best 2 leagues in the world (La Liga might be better).

Lookman has started a single game for us and still didn't go 90. He hasn't played in Gylfi's position for any significant amount of time and I sure think he's a much better 7 in Silva's front 3. If you believe he should play more, that's fine. But I'm not sure what evidence you've see that he can replicate the production of Gylfi both offensively and defensively, and definitely not as a 10.

JK Augustin has gone 90 minutes this year in the Bundesliga maybe once so far this year and he played on the right in that match. He did play a bit more last year and scored some goals as a second forward usually paired with Werner. He looked good, but I'm not sure he's ever played as a single CF in his entire life Talented? Sure. Ready to play as a single CF and lead the line for a top 6/7 club in the PL? Of course not. Ready to push Bernard to the bench because we'd rather have Augustin up front and push Richarlison back left? Richy has 4 goals in 8 games as a CF. Nope.

Chucky is at least a regular choice for his side, although the league is a massive drop off from the PL. He's show he can play in the CL against the likes of Inter, Barca, Spurs, and hold his own. I'd love to see him on the right for us, think he could improve upon what Walcott has done, but that's still far from a sure thing. He might be physically outmatched in the PL. But he's worth a shot to me.

To break this down:

1 -- You cant guarantee anything with strangers on an internet forum. So that wipes out the Lozano comment.

2 -- Theres no way you could have seen every professional game Lookman has played. That is nonsensical, how can you have watched his 45 games for charlton or all his England youth games since turning pro?

3 -- Whether La Liga or the premier league is superior can be judged on viewing popularity. The premier league is vastly more popular.

4 -- You use the number 7 to describe where you feel Lookman would play best. Thats a traditional right sided position which hes played less in and achieved little success in. By far his greatest performances have come as a left inside forward or an attacking central player...his record and performances in the Bundesliga were comparable to anyones in those 2 positions.

5 -- Sigurdsson was a total flop last season. This season hes done fantastically in a handful of games. Should he be judged on the limited games where hes been fantastic, or the vast majority of games where hes not affected the play? In games where we are on top and have runners dominating full backs he plays well, otherwise hes a bit flat.

6 -- Augustin has started 7 games at centre forward and scored 4 goals this season. Hes started 2 on the right and failed to score, hes also not been great as a sub...when he starts he has a high scoring % both this and last season and with French youth sides....its higher than martials has been at the same age. He was also highly rated before he went to leipzig and it was seen as a coup that they signed him

7 -- Im not sure how Lozano could be physically outmatched? If youve seen him play as much as you stated then you'd know that he takes so many hits each match and either keeps going or hits the deck and draws free kicks...hes a real soldier.

Im not sure how Lookman, Lozano or Augustin will get on over the next few years but they (along with richarlison) are 3 of the most highly rated players around...im not sure how there would be too many upgrades with such potential who could be attracted.

Some posters are asking for Werner who would cost £70mil+++ which i think is unlikely for us to spend.

Just watching the highlights back and if he's on form, we could have won that. Just need to look at the positives and we got in so many good positions against a team that dominates possession, we just have a team with poor finishers which has been the case every game this season.

From what i remember one of his standout performances at Leipzig was in Siggys position and he also played there a few times for Charlton apparently... so whilst it does seem a somewhat weird suggestion it's not a position that's alien to him.

Yeah but Leipzig play a vasly different formation than we do.

With it being the German pub league they can play any formation they like due to the crap standard of the league.

plays there for england too, its a perfectly rational suggestion
It's probly the most important position... Esp in the prem.

He has struggled to oust an out of form Walcot in his natural position.
He's just not ready to run our midfield.

It's probly the most important position... Esp in the prem.

He has struggled to oust an out of form Walcot in his natural position.
He's just not ready to run our midfield.
walcott plays a more important role than he is given credit for, lookman has impressed nearly everytime he has appeared, he will get games over x mas and in the fa cup and theres no reason he cant play behind the striker as all of them will need to come out of the firing line at some point, I find the campaign against lookman more than a little odd

plays there for england too, its a perfectly rational suggestion
This isn't the right thread for it but transfermarkt is usually pretty reliable and says he last played attacking midfield for the u20s in 2016. A majority of his career appearances as an attacking midfielder or playing off the striker come from his time at Charlton or with youth national teams. At Leipzig he was the left sided player in their system that doesn't have a traditional "#10" so the wingers are given freedom to move into that space. He can play similarly to that even with Gylfi because of the width of Digne if he starts on the left.

To me the best comparison for Lookman are players like Hazard and Sanchez. Obviously he isn't nearly as good yet but he has that style of being a winger who drifts inside, finds space and is hopefully a threat to both score and set up others. Him on the left with Richarlison up top could actually be a useful combination because they are both comfortable playing inside and out wide so they can create spaces with that switching movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.