2018/19 Richarlison

Status
Not open for further replies.
walcott plays a more important role than he is given credit for, lookman has impressed nearly everytime he has appeared, he will get games over x mas and in the fa cup and theres no reason he cant play behind the striker as all of them will need to come out of the firing line at some point, I find the campaign against lookman more than a little odd
He's done zero mate.

ZERO

To break this down:

1 -- You cant guarantee anything with strangers on an internet forum. So that wipes out the Lozano comment.

2 -- Theres no way you could have seen every professional game Lookman has played. That is nonsensical, how can you have watched his 45 games for charlton or all his England youth games since turning pro?

3 -- Whether La Liga or the premier league is superior can be judged on viewing popularity. The premier league is vastly more popular.

4 -- You use the number 7 to describe where you feel Lookman would play best. Thats a traditional right sided position which hes played less in and achieved little success in. By far his greatest performances have come as a left inside forward or an attacking central player...his record and performances in the Bundesliga were comparable to anyones in those 2 positions.

5 -- Sigurdsson was a total flop last season. This season hes done fantastically in a handful of games. Should he be judged on the limited games where hes been fantastic, or the vast majority of games where hes not affected the play? In games where we are on top and have runners dominating full backs he plays well, otherwise hes a bit flat.

6 -- Augustin has started 7 games at centre forward and scored 4 goals this season. Hes started 2 on the right and failed to score, hes also not been great as a sub...when he starts he has a high scoring % both this and last season and with French youth sides....its higher than martials has been at the same age. He was also highly rated before he went to leipzig and it was seen as a coup that they signed him

7 -- Im not sure how Lozano could be physically outmatched? If youve seen him play as much as you stated then you'd know that he takes so many hits each match and either keeps going or hits the deck and draws free kicks...hes a real soldier.

Im not sure how Lookman, Lozano or Augustin will get on over the next few years but they (along with richarlison) are 3 of the most highly rated players around...im not sure how there would be too many upgrades with such potential who could be attracted.

Some posters are asking for Werner who would cost £70mil+++ which i think is unlikely for us to spend.
Lookman is an 11, I typed the wrong number, that's my bad. I'll turn in my coaching badges. Obviously I meant watching him in top flight footy.

I love Chucky, but it doesn't change the fact that he's not very big and although not slow, don't think he's Walcott fast. PL is pretty quick. Do I think he'll do well? Yes. But it's still a possibility.

My issue with Augustin is that he's never played as a single forward. Lookman also played behind or beside two forwards in an attacking team in a lesser league.

plays there for england too, its a perfectly rational suggestion

Exactly

It's probly the most important position... Esp in the prem.

He has struggled to oust an out of form Walcot in his natural position.
He's just not ready to run our midfield.

Lookmans natural position isnt on the right.

This isn't the right thread for it but transfermarkt is usually pretty reliable and says he last played attacking midfield for the u20s in 2016. A majority of his career appearances as an attacking midfielder or playing off the striker come from his time at Charlton or with youth national teams. At Leipzig he was the left sided player in their system that doesn't have a traditional "#10" so the wingers are given freedom to move into that space. He can play similarly to that even with Gylfi because of the width of Digne if he starts on the left.

To me the best comparison for Lookman are players like Hazard and Sanchez. Obviously he isn't nearly as good yet but he has that style of being a winger who drifts inside, finds space and is hopefully a threat to both score and set up others. Him on the left with Richarlison up top could actually be a useful combination because they are both comfortable playing inside and out wide so they can create spaces with that switching movement.

Richarlison left, lookman centre and a right sided player and a forward brought in.

When attacking, perhaps Lookman moving left...Richarlison centrally, the right sided player moving central and the centre forward drifting right...confusing for defences

Lookman is an 11, I typed the wrong number, that's my bad. I'll turn in my coaching badges. Obviously I meant watching him in top flight footy.

I love Chucky, but it doesn't change the fact that he's not very big and although not slow, don't think he's Walcott fast. PL is pretty quick. Do I think he'll do well? Yes. But it's still a possibility.

My issue with Augustin is that he's never played as a single forward. Lookman also played behind or beside two forwards in an attacking team in a lesser league.

Augustin has played as a lone striker for France youth.

Exactly

Lookmans natural position isnt on the right.

Richarlison left, lookman centre and a right sided player and a forward brought in.

When attacking, perhaps Lookman moving left...Richarlison centrally, the right sided player moving central and the centre forward drifting right...confusing for defences
Richarlison is a striker until he starts creating chances. Lookman is a winger until he proves himself in some way beyond some exciting cameo moments.

Richarlison is a striker until he starts creating chances. Lookman is a winger until he proves himself in some way beyond some exciting cameo moments.

Kanchelskis was in a similar mould...he didnt create as many as he scored

Lookman has proven himself in the central role for England u21 and Leipzig...

I think Lookman is wasted on the wing at the moment when all we have is Sigurdsson playing centrally who looks the same player we signed.

I think Lookman is wasted on the wing at the moment when all we have is Sigurdsson playing centrally who looks the same player we signed.
Kanchelskis had 8 assists his full season with us. Richarlison is probably going to struggle to get 5 this year. They don't do much in the way of stats for seasons beyond 10 years ago but I'd but creatively Kanchelskis was miles from what Richarlison offers. Also you can just watch them and see how much easier it was for Kanchelskis to beat players. Richarlison isn't that.

Lookman has never been played as a central midfield player in any serious level of competition. He primarily plays on the wing for the England teams but even if he didn't that's not open age football so it really doesn't count. At Leipzig he played as one of the two attacking players behind the striker. It wouldn't really be accurate to say these players are central players or wingers as they kind of have license to do either depending on the situation. We don't use that system and the one we do use calls for Lookman's abilities to be used in the wider positions and coming inside from there.

The other thing with Lookman is when you look at his abilities and compare them to other people he doesn't really match up with central attacking midfielders. Think about the players that are good at that spot currently around the league. Lookman doesn't play anything like Silva, Alli, De Bruyne, Eriksen, Ramsey or Ozil (when he's arsed). He does resemble guys like Mane, Hazard and Sanchez. There's a reason those players occupy the positions they do for the teams that are better than us.

Lookman never played central that I could recall and RBL mostly played 4-2-2-2, so there is no number 10.

But still, Sigurdsson has been one of our best players, but you want to replace him with Lookman, who is a left inside forward, who has one start this year.

Augustin has played as a lone striker for France youth.

Zatman, the lad Augustin, I've liked him since he came through at PSG. I remember doing a few reports back in 2015ish when he came through and did well.

But Jesus, you can't compare playing youth level international footy to coming in and playing in the Premier League. Not saying he couldn't do it, btw, but come on...

This is a thing that people love to ignore with Walcott.

I'm all for Lookman getting a go, but my point has always been it should be him or Bernard, at least until we have another alternative for a player on the right who likes to run in behind.

Maybe, for now, that could be Richarlison, but Walcott stretches teams so well because of his pace.

Lozano, like you say, is quick. But I think of him as being more akin to Lookman quick than Walcott quick.

I'd love for us to sign him, like, but it's just a point that I don't think is wrong to raise.

Zatman, the lad Augustin, I've liked him since he came through at PSG. I remember doing a few reports back in 2015ish when he came through and did well.

But Jesus, you can't compare playing youth level international footy to coming in and playing in the Premier League. Not saying he couldn't do it, btw, but come on...

DCL is prolific at youth international football as an example.

Kanchelskis had 8 assists his full season with us. Richarlison is probably going to struggle to get 5 this year. They don't do much in the way of stats for seasons beyond 10 years ago but I'd but creatively Kanchelskis was miles from what Richarlison offers. Also you can just watch them and see how much easier it was for Kanchelskis to beat players. Richarlison isn't that.

Lookman has never been played as a central midfield player in any serious level of competition. He primarily plays on the wing for the England teams but even if he didn't that's not open age football so it really doesn't count. At Leipzig he played as one of the two attacking players behind the striker. It wouldn't really be accurate to say these players are central players or wingers as they kind of have license to do either depending on the situation. We don't use that system and the one we do use calls for Lookman's abilities to be used in the wider positions and coming inside from there.

The other thing with Lookman is when you look at his abilities and compare them to other people he doesn't really match up with central attacking midfielders. Think about the players that are good at that spot currently around the league. Lookman doesn't play anything like Silva, Alli, De Bruyne, Eriksen, Ramsey or Ozil (when he's arsed). He does resemble guys like Mane, Hazard and Sanchez. There's a reason those players occupy the positions they do for the teams that are better than us.

Kanchelskis was 26 when he joined and the finished article...i think if Richarlison played on the left each game then surpasses the same number of goals but 5 to 8 assists isnt a huge difference.

The point was really just about them being so direct from wide positions...

Lookman i think could play there and succeed

Lookman never played central that I could recall and RBL mostly played 4-2-2-2, so there is no number 10.

But still, Sigurdsson has been one of our best players, but you want to replace him with Lookman, who is a left inside forward, who has one start this year.

Sigurdsson hasnt been our best player aside from half a dozen games this season where arguably others were also very good.

France youth, huh? My bad, we are good then. Was that U19?

Not saying he could do it either...but he HAS played there...same as DCL has also of course.

This is a thing that people love to ignore with Walcott.

I'm all for Lookman getting a go, but my point has always been it should be him or Bernard, at least until we have another alternative for a player on the right who likes to run in behind.

Maybe, for now, that could be Richarlison, but Walcott stretches teams so well because of his pace.

Lozano, like you say, is quick. But I think of him as being more akin to Lookman quick than Walcott quick.

I'd love for us to sign him, like, but it's just a point that I don't think is wrong to raise.
I love @Zatara optimism I really do but he is 99% bubbles

To be ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.