Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The opinions that Gordon is somehow worth keeping and not as much to blame for the mess we're in as anyone else makes me laugh. He runs around a lot but has no end product. He's not good enough for the Premier League and i doubt that he ever will be. People talk about him improving his decision making. He's 21 and has probably been playing football at a significant level for over 10 years, if he hasn't got good decision making by now it's unlikely that he ever will. I know that he's a 'home grown youngster' and that, because of that fans want him to come good and/or are reluctant to criticise him but i can't see him positively affecting any of our remaining games. The current praise for him is like that for Tom Davies when he first broke through, wishful thinking or a reluctance/inability to give a critical and dispassionate assessment of his ability for fear that it would be seen as a betrayal of the youth system/fan base/club.

Probably, even in these hard times, the biggest load of tripe I have read since "death of a salesman" for my O levels

Words fail me, but the worst post ever on GOT

If he tried hard and he was tripe I would say but he is effective as a player. I heard Guidiola berating Jack Grealish over stats and Guardiola said stats aren’t important.I remember certain posters lulling Bernard over stats when he played well in my opinion. The team are the sum of the parts. We need a team and a team doesn’t pass anything on they work together for a common goal

Just realised we have the Quarter Final this Sunday.

Assuming we are already down this may be our last realistic chance of FA Cup silverware for the foreseeable.

Do we play a slightly weaker team against Newcastle-upon-Tyne Thursday and save the big guns for Sunday?

VDB, Dele and El Ghazi are all cup tied so I would have all them in the team, would also play the likes of Patterson, Branthwaite, Rondon - players on the fringe who are hungry and want to stake a place in the team on sunday.

What 'weaker' team would you play, do pray tell?

We have the most weak minded team in the premiership and you think we have a chance in the FA Cup....FFS! we scrapped through against the mighty Boreham wood in the previous round

From our remaining games I see many Expected Defeats.

Arsenal, Leicester, West Ham and Liverpool, Arsenal away, United and Chelsea at home. I think we can safely say there's a maximum of two points there.

I think about 36 points will get us to safety, so if we do nick 2 points in those games we need 12 points from our games Burnley away, Watford away, Newcastle, Palace and Brentford home.

Can't see it.

The opinions that Gordon is somehow worth keeping and not as much to blame for the mess we're in as anyone else makes me laugh. He runs around a lot but has no end product. He's not good enough for the Premier League and i doubt that he ever will be. People talk about him improving his decision making. He's 21 and has probably been playing football at a significant level for over 10 years, if he hasn't got good decision making by now it's unlikely that he ever will. I know that he's a 'home grown youngster' and that, because of that fans want him to come good and/or are reluctant to criticise him but i can't see him positively affecting any of our remaining games. The current praise for him is like that for Tom Davies when he first broke through, wishful thinking or a reluctance/inability to give a critical and dispassionate assessment of his ability for fear that it would be seen as a betrayal of the youth system/fan base/club.

Same. I have nothing against Gordon, and he's been one of our best players in the last few games, and it sounds counter-intuitive to take out your best player. However he's in the same boat as Coleman, Kenny, VDB, they've had at least 5 or 6 games to turn it around (ever since Frank started) and only managed one win against Leeds who sacked their manager. We have to look at what worked under Carlo, under Rafael (yes even Rafael), and try to implement some of those tactics.

I know it sounds like I'm excusing guys like Holgate, Doucoure, DCL, Keane but Keane, Holgate are there, we don't have anyone else, and Doucoure is one of our best players, DCL is literally our only forward. Some players have to play. Others where we have a choice, we have to change it up, otherwise we'll get the same result every week.

The biggest thing for me though is there was simply no chemistry at all, there are too many new players all over the pitch, they had no idea what to do. One thing about Carlo is that everyone was quite dependable you knew what you were getting, when Sigurdsson walked onto the pitch or Allan. Everybody had a job, I didn't see any of that yesterday, people were running around like headless chickens.

I think he needs to pick a side now and stick with it. Some God awful players will have to play, which will likely take us down in disgrace, but it is what it is now.

Chopping and changing will just mean the games will now fly by with humiliating defeat after humiliating defeat due to players played out of position or with no chemistry with those next to them.

I'm certain Lampard will be hugely regretting taking on the job, but it's his now and he either continues to change the team every week in a desperate attempt to have them gel or give it one more chance to dig themselves out of this hole they've got themselves in but sticking with a side.

Pickford
Coleman
Keane
Holgate / Mina if and when available
Godfrey
Gordon
Allan
Doucouré
Gomes
Grey
Richarlison

I'd be telling Coleman and Godfrey not to bother getting up the field as the full backs will need all the help they can get due to how bad they are.

Try to pack the midfield with three in the middle, and allow Grey and Gordon to float wherever they are needed.

Gomes can play the game in front of the defenders and on the half way line at most, Allan can dash around in the first two thirds of the field, and Doucouré can sit in the final two thirds of the field.

Richarlison with zero defensive responsibility and simply told to stay up front and do what he can, whether that's winning free kicks on the edge of the box or diving for penalties, I'll take it all at this stage.

That will surely give us enough defensively, and can at least carve out a chance or two over the 90 minutes.

From now I think it needs to be try to take games to 0-0 until the hour 75 minute mark and try to nick them with Iwobi, Rondon, DCL off the bench.

Extremely depressing writing that, by the way. Can see us finishing 20th to be honest, all teams down there have so much more fight than us and they're all picking up more points.

Dan Burn and Chris Wood goals against us in Thursday btw.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.