Homepage Update: Reflections on Koeman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than his first month in charge were we picked up good points, the rest of his tenure was abject. We had a spell from September to December were we won about 1 game. He was fortunate to have a Lukaku scoring goals trying to get his next move and likewise with Barkley.

Generally got his deriere handed to him on a plate by several teams.

I'm no great fan of Koeman, but you're being a bit unfair there. He inherited a pretty weak squad, in which our more talented players were either ageing (Jagielka, Baines, etc) or very inconsistent (Lukaku, Stones, Ross). In the second half of his first season we seemed to be scoring goals for fun at home - 3 V Southampton, four V Hull, six V Bournemouth, 4 V Leicester; so it wasn't ALL bad. His transfer record was a disaster, I grant you, and I agree that his heart was never in it.

Inappropriate Language
There didn't seem to be any other decent managers available did there

I was uneasy about his appointment - due to his lack of enthusiasm...staying on holiday...almost as if people had to push him out of the door at Southampton were he was comfortable ''Come on Ron, you have to take the job ffs, better money , bigger club '' sort of thing. To repeat a few comments from before... nobody warmed to him, he didn't seem to have a set style of play or tactics, when he did start losing the plot last September/October and growing that [Poor language removed] stubbly beard I honestly feared for his mental health. I bet he was wheeling and dealing in the background for the Dutch job whilst he was still at Everton too, the fat Colin Hendry faced [Poor language removed].

Well he certainly wasn't a man manager
He certainly wasn't a master tactician
He wasn't the guy to assemble a team to play his 'style'
He wasn't the inspiration in the dressing room
He wasn't a darling of the 'presser'
He wasn't the master of the transfer market
He wasn't attentive to detail
He wasn't part of the fabric of Everton

not much left really............
He did have a very big head.

Like with Martinez, international football isn't an arena in which you can really judge managerial talent, because it's a completely different type of football than league management as you only deal with a group of players for a small amount of time.

Koeman's horrible man management is erased because the players only deal with him in short doses, and Martinez's abysmal tactical ability is negated as the players go back to clubs and are coached properly away from him.

The truth is they are both poor club managers.

Hilarious how he literally had no idea about the tactical change.

"When we were 2-0 down they [my assistants] asked me if we should change things around and I said 'yes'."
"Next thing I knew I had the note. So I gave it to Kenny. And in the end it's fantastic that the equaliser came from the guy who was told on the note to push up front."

What an absolute muppet.

Hilarious how he literally had no idea about the tactical change.

What an absolute muppet.

Still better than Martinez as it shows he will listen to others and take advice. Bobby probably got a note at the weekend to take a more defensive shape after going 2 nil up, but tore it up and decided to push forward the centre backs to act as attacking midfielders. :)

I’m ashamed that I staunchly backed him solely on the basis of him not being Roberto Martinez.
Mea Culpa as well
I thought we had made a major leap forward
I was never a BBS man at all
Relegated Wigan but what got me was the interviews in March /April of Wigan’s last season in the PL when he stated there was no chance Wigan could get relegated
Martinez also was atrocious in the transfer market
How he thought signing the spine of a relegated Wigan side would improve us is beyond me
For all Koeman faults he never signed a player like Aidan McGeady

Mea Culpa as well
I thought we had made a major leap forward
I was never a BBS man at all
Relegated Wigan but what got me was the interviews in March /April of Wigan’s last season in the PL when he stated there was no chance Wigan could get relegated
Martinez also was atrocious in the transfer market
How he thought signing the spine of a relegated Wigan side would improve us is beyond me
For all Koeman faults he never signed a player like Aidan McGeady

Koeman signed Ashley Williams Yannick Bolise and Cuco Martina for close to 50 mill. They both bought absolute toilet but at least Martinez didn’t waste all our cash doing it.

I’m just glad now that for the first time since Moyes decent recruitment is back at Everton and with Moshiri’s backing that means we can look too progress once again now at least to back where we were around 07-10 when we were qualifying successively for Europe and going far in cups. Better than the embarassing lower half prem scraps that followed.

Koeman signed Ashley Williams Yannick Bolise and Cuco Martina for close to 50 mill. They both bought absolute toilet but at least Martinez didn’t waste all our cash doing it.

I’m just glad now that for the first time since Moyes decent recruitment is back at Everton and with Moshiri’s backing that means we can look too progress once again now at least to back where we were around 07-10 when we were qualifying successively for Europe and going far in cups. Better than the embarassing lower half prem scraps that followed.

I think we are very close to that Everton team already. This side probably need another 6-12 months to grow together and they will be at that level.

The big plus though, is the glass ceiling we hit around that time will not be there in the same way now. We will not have to sell players to buy more in.

Status
Not open for further replies.