Ramadan Mubarak

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fasting is one thing, but not letting them have water seems incredibly harsh, but nobody said getting into heaven was easy I guess

Happy Ramadan anyway to any folks on here who are of that persuasion. Hope it all goes well for you and you manage the fasting well enough

Kind of makes lent look a bit like playing on Easy Mode doesn't it?

As far as I'm aware Ramadan has been around as long as football, why making such a big deal out of it this year as opposed to other seasons. Plenty of Muslims over the years have had sports careers during Ramadan and never made a fuss.

As far as I'm aware Ramadan has been around as long as football, why making such a big deal out of it this year as opposed to other seasons. Plenty of Muslims over the years have had sports careers during Ramadan and never made a fuss.
I don’t think they’re “making a fuss”.

I think the premier league are (rightly) realising that a small break in play to allow these players to break their fast is a sensible thing to do.

It should’ve been introduced sooner if anything.

Remember working with some Muslim guys who were fasting, the job we were on was physically intense and the weather was extremely hot. On checking with the Iman, he advised them to still respect Ramadan but they should take regular water breaks for their physical health.

They must have a sly drink of Lucozade or something, surely. The Imam will know what high energy jobs these players do and cut them a bit of slack. You cant be a professional athlete and go 12 hours without hydrating.

No one can be expected to get up at dawn when there's a match so late in the day at 8pm, have a few cups of water and expect that to suffice until 10pm and with a PL match thrown in.
They can get dispensation I believe, pretty sure mohammed was an Everton fan so that should help

Good point this

Good point this

Because it's affecting Everton colossally more than any other club. If the entire midfield 3 of Doucoure, Gueye and Onana are fasting for a month and the research carried out indicates a falling off of ability to do their job then that's concerning.

We are so reliant on these players having a high energy game and anything that affects that is an issue.

A few years ago I worked in a team with some pretty debout muslims. They said that muslims try to observe ramadan, but for certain people there is flexibility for those that needed to eat to best serve Allah: pregnant women, athletes etc...

Because it's affecting Everton colossally more than any other club. If the entire midfield 3 of Doucoure, Gueye and Onana are fasting for a month and the research carried out indicates a falling off of ability to do their job then that's concerning.

We are so reliant on these players having a high energy game and anything that affects that is an issue.

It won’t affect their game as they will be able to consume food and water after dusk. The club has sport nutritionist that would support these players if they need it and monitor vitality signs during the period.

Note not all Muslim players will be fasting as there are exemptions for those on medication like type 1 diabetes or other medical conditions so they won’t be fasting.

Also if it is not possible to fast due to the physical nature of a job or task they can skip the fast and give to charity instead if it is genuine. I think Mo Farah did that during the London Olympics if I remember.

Muslim players having been doing this for decades now so they will know what to expect. But the noise around the game stopping so these guys can break their fast that’s all ( a sip of water probably) so why the fuss ?

Your acting like these guys are suddenly malnourished

It won’t affect their game as they will be able to consume food and water after dusk. The club has sport nutritionist that would support these players if they need it and monitor vitality signs during the period.

Note not all Muslim players will be fasting as there are exemptions for those on medication like type 1 diabetes or other medical conditions so they won’t be fasting.

Also if it is not possible to fast due to the physical nature of a job or task they can skip the fast and give to charity instead if it is genuine. I think Mo Farah did that during the London Olympics if I remember.

Muslim players having been doing this for decades now so they will know what to expect. But the noise around the game stopping so these guys can break their fast that’s all ( a sip of water probably) so why the fuss ?

Your acting like these guys are suddenly malnourished
No, I'm not over-hyping it. If we had 3 players spread out in the team who were fasting it'd be less of an issue than if they were all in the engine room. That's obvious. And these players are pretty much indispensable to us.

Listening to Doucoure it's clear he and Gueye - who is acting as an informal imam for the group - and Onana are carrying out their fast to the last detail. The evidence shows that performance can be adversely affected by a month fast. It's no use ignoring all that.

I have complete respect for them as committed individuals, and anyone else who's fasting as part of their religious celebrations. But I have an Everton hat on at all times and I speak from that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.