Ramadan Mubarak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Issues with Ramadan Fasting in Football​

One of the main components in athletic or soccer performance is the provision of proper fuelling and hydration techniques, so this becomes an issue to players during this Ramadan phase.
Available literature has suggested Muslim soccer athletes or footballers training & competing through this period may face performance decrements as a result of:
  • Changes in circadian or bodily rhythms
  • Changes in sleep patterns
  • Duration of sleep
  • Reduction in blood glucose or energy levels
  • Reduced daytime fluid intake and subsequent dehydration
  • Injury
Be interesting to see if it has effected any of the high profile players performances like Salah etc in the past.

I must say, this is a bit concerning.

Four crucial PL games with our whole central midfield struggling for energy during training and in games.

That's a dimension to this fight I hadn't factored in.
These are super fit athletes, they are unlikely to crumble in the space of four weeks. Might do a bit of evening running, keep em fit but not stretched. Spot of early breakfast, some swimming pool exercise, nothing to rough. talkin tactics, reviewing the previous games and then highlighting next opposition. It all counts towards preparation.
I've been on extended fasting to try and trim some weight off, I've eaten once today, at 6pm and it was a really poor effort of a meal. I'm still relatively active, but I have energy stores already, and I ain't no athlete, I also do hydrate during the fasting time, water only. Way I see it, if I knock Christmas on the head this year (and maintain the fast) I can squeeze into those 36" waist jeans by January 2024. Gonna be a long year, but it's helped the cost of living crisis.

These are super fit athletes, they are unlikely to crumble in the space of four weeks. Might do a bit of evening running, keep em fit but not stretched. Spot of early breakfast, some swimming pool exercise, nothing to rough. talkin tactics, reviewing the previous games and then highlighting next opposition. It all counts towards preparation.
I've been on extended fasting to try and trim some weight off, I've eaten once today, at 6pm and it was a really poor effort of a meal. I'm still relatively active, but I have energy stores already, and I ain't no athlete, I also do hydrate during the fasting time, water only. Way I see it, if I knock Christmas on the head this year (and maintain the fast) I can squeeze into those 36" waist jeans by January 2024. Gonna be a long year, but it's helped the cost of living crisis.

Yes, but you're not a professional athlete and I dont think this midfield trio of ours can drink water any time after the sun comes up, so hydration is an issue.

You can imagine how that could affect their performance in a match that starts 8pm and finishes shortly before 10pm.

Be interesting to see if it has effected any of the high profile players performances like Salah etc in the past.
Mane and Salah.

Was there any drop off for those two during fasting I wonder?

I must say, this has got me spooked a bit.

Yes, but you're not a professional athlete and I dont think this midfield trio of ours can drink water any time after the sun comes up, so hydration is an issue.

You can imagine how that could affect their performance in a match that starts 8pm and finishes shortly before 10pm.
Steam room ;) sorted.

Can't recall any tbh , those 2 would be playing every couple of days with Champs lge , Cups & League games during this period.

I still think this could be a problem for us given they all three are starters for us and they're all in the engine room.

Possibly this is where Garner is going to have to be reintroduced into the team.

They must have a sly drink of Lucozade or something, surely. The Imam will know what high energy jobs these players do and cut them a bit of slack. You cant be a professional athlete and go 12 hours without hydrating.

No one can be expected to get up at dawn when there's a match so late in the day at 8pm, have a few cups of water and expect that to suffice until 10pm and with a PL match thrown in.

Status
Not open for further replies.