Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
So he didn’t lose to relegated Norwich and draw with relegated villa ? Because yours is your takeaway and mine is mine , I’m not saying it was a horrendous showing but win the Norwich game and he stays up or simply avoid defeat against Sam and he’s safe .

The idea that that relegation was a done deal before he arrived or out of his hands or he was helpless is just pony I’m afraid and if you’re peddling it to suit your agenda I’m not buying it .

like I say I’m not massively condemning him over it but it carry’s his share of responsibility that’s for sure .
As @RomanReigns points out also: he had 10 games to get to grips with a calamity of a team; Allardyce had a whole season almost and only just kept ahead of Newcastle.

To suggest his time at Newcastle was anything but a success in their terms is nonsense.

He got them promoted and then got them 2 solid PL finishes of 10th and 13th - for that basket case of a club it's like winning back to back Champions Leagues.

I mean I just want us to win every game regardless of the manager I’ve never been cultishly wedded to any of them , my deep love for Howard Kendall aside .

That doesn’t mean I don’t think this bloke is the wrong appointment. At this minute I’m hoping he’ll tighten us up defensively and I suppose we go from there. with the odd addition , we can but hope , maybe he makes a fist of it and we can see some kind of improvement but I can’t see that without new players so if we’re hamstringing him from the start he has to be on a loser .
Let's see what arrives. We're 6 weeks away from the window shutting.

As @RomanReigns points out also: he had 10 games to get to grips with a calamity of a team; Allardyce had a whole season almost and only just kept ahead of Newcastle.

To suggest his time at Newcastle was anything but a success in their terms is nonsense.

He got them promoted and then got them 2 solid PL finishes of 10th and 13th - for that basket case of a club it's like winning back to back Champions Leagues.
I’ve no idea how highly you rate Steve Bruce then .

Everton do well if he wins; if he doesn't do well he gets binned.

That's thre only way of looking at managers. You give too much emphasis to them.....mind you, I'd have been fuming if Moyes had been made boss....but I'd still have wanted us to win.
I still want Everton to do well.

Honestly ive stopped caring much, I will still savour victories, but I dont think defeats hurt as much as they did.

Hopefully im on my way to cleansing myself of this club.

Wouldn't have been my choice, but I respect him as a manager.

There's a couple of reasons we've got to give him time though....

- The players can't be given an easy way out. Performances are expected here. Too many of our players have not been producing them. If it carries on, it's them who need punting, not another scapegoat of a manager whilst they get yet another second, third or fourth chance. If some of these players know the manager is under pressure, then they'll fold. We shouldn't - as fans - be complicit in that. The players have responsibilities too, they cant be allowed to forget that. They need to know that the manager won't be shunted because of their shortcomings or lack of effort.

- We're not very good at this FFP stuff. We've paid him to a job now. so we might as well hope he earns his wedge. We can't just keep throwing money down the drain.

-

Last edited:

Spot on . he got out thought , out fought and out managed by large Samuel in a relegation battle . The PR machine which some would argue we’ve seen on here shuddered into action and suddenly he’s 17 points away from safety heroically fighting a reguard action akin to rourkes drift .

I’ll give him credit for promotion because a job had to be done and as regards his transfers he recognised he needed players for the task and brought them in and I’m actually ok with that but again it was hardly an incredible achievement it was a job done that was expected of him .

However this reinventing of history we keep seeing around this bloke is frankly a little tiring and also not far off delusional.
I think the delusion is very kopite esque. He had players like Xabi Alonso Mascherano Torres etc in that rs side of his, and he still (thankfully!) bottled a great opportunity to win a league title. Take the fluke that was Istanbul out of the equation, and rs fans would have a quite a different view on Benitez.

Many men one day dream of finding a woman who’ll love them as unconditionally as some of you lads on here with this fella .
I far from love him being our manager,but getting a team back in the Prem first time out takes some doing no matter what he did or didn't spend. If Allardyce had taken us down I've a feeling we'd still be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.