Please read: Copyright Infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.
That to me and my understanding of the Law that governs this in England and Wales.

In fact if people comment about the news being reported as cited. This exactly the intention of what the law is meant to allow.

Not worth our effort.

Just like it's not worth my effort to ask the Mirror to remove our own trademark from their articles.

It could be photos they are talking about. I would if I were you DD ban any LINKS to photos on Mirrors website.

Also just be ace.

Also add 'Trinity Mirror' to the bad language filter or something.

Justified.

Pretty much will be/preventing any Mirror publication/

Jesus wept, Damon, do you have to pretend to know everything about everything?

I trained as a journalist and studied law in relation to publishing.
I worked as a journalist and had to abide by those laws.
I've since spent many years working in online publishing (which is what GrandOldTeam is doing).

So when I say stuff and give a warning, I am not shouting my mouth off for no reason.

Commentary and short excerpts are protected (see my use of content from other sites on the loans thread).

Copy and pasting articles is not, which is what was originally being encouraged (and practised in some cases, including some threads without any attribution) here.

Approaching our 10th year.

One issue, same issue on countless other forums - easily resolved.

Appreciate the feedback like.

[Edit] We're still encouraging (or rather, asking as a standard) accompanying text to links;

News Articles
When posting a link to an online news story, please post suitable accompanying text as well. This is convenient for everyone and those that do not, will be accused of advertising;

If any publication has issue with this, they can let us know and we'll blacklist them.

Blues,

I've had an email today from the legal department of The Mirror, concerning copyright infringement relating to our members copying and pasting their articles on the forum.

As such, we're now having to enforce a ban on anything referencing The Mirror.

Please do not post or reference this publication in any capacity. We'll be using software to monitor any instance of The Mirror and instantly removing.

Thanks for your presumed understanding.

Thanks

Is this from the whole Trinity Mirror media group or just "The Mirror"? If it is the first then there are quite a few publications involved.

Whoops, this has already been addressed. Move on.

Not worth our effort.

Just like it's not worth my effort to ask the Mirror to remove our own trademark from their articles.

Pretty much will be/preventing any Mirror publication/

You have my sympathy running a major fans site.

Its obvious jealousy from Trinity Mirror. Would not be in the least surprised. Not realising this site directs traffic to theirs!

Jesus wept, Damon, do you have to pretend to know everything about everything?

I trained as a journalist and studied law in relation to publishing.
I worked as a journalist and had to abide by those laws.
I've since spent many years working in online publishing (which is what GrandOldTeam is doing).

So when I say stuff and give a warning, I am not shouting my mouth off for no reason.

Commentary and short excerpts are protected (see my use of content from other sites on the loans thread).

Copy and pasting articles is not, which is what was originally being encouraged (and practised in some cases, including some threads without any attribution) here.

I'm not even talking to you mate. Why are you talking such offence?

I'm saying that even if you published the entire text of an article on here - provided you link to and cite the source you are still not in copyright infringement of a NEWS REPORT.

Since criticism of the news report is difficult without seeing the entire news report mate.

And criticism of a news report is legally protected free speech.

You have my sympathy running a major fans site.

It is what it is.

We/fans can't display the Everton crest.
We/fans can't list the fixture list.
etc.

I could go on and on. We comply, as we should.

Compliance with blacklisting a publication, particularly one of the standard here, really is a non issue. ;)

Approaching our 10th year.

One issue, same issue on countless other forums - easily resolved.

Appreciate the feedback like.

[Edit] We're still encouraging (or rather, asking as a standard) accompanying text to links;

News Articles
When posting a link to an online news story, please post suitable accompanying text as well. This is convenient for everyone and those that do not, will be accused of advertising;

If any publication has issue with this, they can let us know and we'll blacklist them.
Fair enough, as I've repeated often enough here, it's your site and your rules.

Were it me, I would change the above text to 'suitable accompanying paragraph' and wouldn't see a problem with it. But it's not me...

I just hope I never have to see the day when there is an appeal to members to help with legal fees. Because what blowhards like Damon don't appreciate, having never had any actual experience, is that it doesn't even have to be the case that you actually end up losing a civil action. Just the fact that you have been taken far enough down the road to cost an arm and a leg by a legal team on retainers is enough to give people sleepless nights and worry about their houses.

I've had it happen to me personally with alleged trademark infringement (stood up to it once, folded once) and had friends and acquaintances who have been sued for what they have published (various reasons: libel, copyright infringement, trademark infringement, damaging professional reputation). It's not a nice experience.

It is what it is.

We/fans can't display the Everton crest.
We/fans can't list the fixture list.
etc.

I could go on and on. We comply, as we should.

Compliance with blacklisting a publication, particularly one of the standard here, really is a non issue. ;)

I look at it like this DD.

This site isn't acting as a news aggregator. This site is not acting as a means to get around a paywall - en masse.

This site isn't reproducing in entirety page after page after page of other sites. It really isn't.

Relevant news is cited. Case by case. Manually. By individuals. Criticised and then we move on.

That to my mind is exactly what the law allows.

Fair enough, as I've repeated often enough here, it's your site and your rules.

Were it me, I would change the above text to 'suitable accompanying paragraph' and wouldn't see a problem with it. But it's not me...

I just hope I never have to see the day when there is an appeal to members to help with legal fees. Because what blowhards like Damon don't appreciate, having never had any actual experience, is that it doesn't even have to be the case that you actually end up losing a civil action. Just the fact that you have been taken far enough down the road to cost an arm and a leg by a legal team on retainers is enough to give people sleepless nights and worry about their houses.

I've had it happen to me personally with alleged trademark infringement (stood up to it once, folded once) and had friends and acquaintances who have been sued for what they have published (various reasons: libel, copyright infringement, trademark infringement, damaging professional reputation). It's not a nice experience.

Not sure that such caricatures being directed at me here are warranted. However, in light of the topic and in the interests of free speech we will let it slide on this occasion.

'Blow hards'. 'never had any actual experience'.

Jesus wept.

DD. You are perfectly sound doing what you are doing. Don't worry about it. Once blacklisted they have no grounds whatsoever. Dealt with professional manner by you as always.

Seems simple enough:

Screen_Shot_2016_04_21_at_11_38_08_AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.