Please read: Copyright Infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blues,

I've had an email today from the legal department of The Mirror, concerning copyright infringement relating to our members copying and pasting their articles on the forum.

As such, we're now having to enforce a ban on anything referencing The Mirror.

Please do not post or reference this publication in any capacity. We'll be using software to monitor any instance of The Mirror and instantly removing.

Thanks for your presumed understanding.

Thanks
Is that all Trinity Mirror publications? (Such as the Echo and a number of other local dailies in big markets?) Or just the Daily Mirror?

(Just saying, but I did mention the concept of copyright infringement when you imposed your rule on copying and pasting any news reports...)

Blues,

I've had an email today from the legal department of The Mirror, concerning copyright infringement relating to our members copying and pasting their articles on the forum.

As such, we're now having to enforce a ban on anything referencing The Mirror.

Please do not post or reference this publication in any capacity. We'll be using software to monitor any instance of The Mirror and instantly removing.

Thanks for your presumed understanding.

Thanks

Commentary on news articles constitutes 'fair dealing' under Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988: see section 30 on 'fair dealing'.

Provided that the source is cited.

However, given that the Mirror are inhibiting free speech and commentary on news (since we always see citations made on Grand Old Team) through the RIGHT TO LINK.

Therefore Trinity Mirror are stepping on our legal rights very clearly and unjustifiably.

Fully endorse and support said ban of any reference to Trinity Mirror from on high by @GrandOldTeam

These news papers just want to put everything behind a paywall. Plus will not allow commentary on news that is contrary to England and Wales common law.

I would caricature Trinity Mirror, however they may take exception to that. Despite it being legally protected free speech.

The Mirror is officially banned here in my house now.

Commentary on news articles constitutes 'fair use' under Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988: see section 30 on 'fair dealing'.

However, given that the Mirror are inhibiting free speech and commentary on news (since we always see citations made on Grand Old Team) through the RIGHT TO LINK.

Therefore Trinity Mirror are stepping on our legal rights very clearly and unjustifiably.

Fully endorse and support said ban of any reference to Trinity Mirror from on high by @GrandOldTeam

These news papers just want to put everything behind a paywall. Plus will not allow commentary on news that is contrary to England and Wales common law.

I would caricature Trinity Mirror, however they may take exception to that. Despite it being legally protected free speech.

Oh good lord, you just knew it was coming didn't you?

Commentary on news articles constitutes 'fair dealing' under Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988: see section 30 on 'fair dealing'.

The Mirror is officially banned here in my house now.

cheers ally mcbeal

to be fair here.

if you don't copy the whole article then it can be classed as fair use policy, or if you arranged things a little different then it would probably not pick up on their scanners for people to annoy.

and it isn't copyright if the content they are claiming to be copyright has no monetary value to it? May be wrong on that, but as they are not a subscription service and the articles are not paper based, then they are not bound by copyright unless someone is claiming ownership of the article for themselves,

Just do as your told Ash. And use it as an excuse not to read or take notice of that toilet of a paper.

Is that all Trinity Mirror publications? (Such as the Echo and a number of other local dailies in big markets?) Or just the Daily Mirror?

It's the publication I explicitly named. The Mirror.

I(Just saying, but I did mention the concept of copyright infringement when you imposed your rule on copying and pasting any news reports...)

We ask a descriptor as a minimum is given. This remains, when posting a link to an online news story, please post suitable accompanying text.

[Edit] Note. This isn't anything specific to GOT. In fact, I intended to preemptively ban the Mirror when I saw this on a Man City forum in July 2015.

Jesus wept, Damon, do you have to pretend to know everything about everything?

I trained as a journalist and studied law in relation to publishing.
I worked as a journalist and had to abide by those laws.
I've since spent many years working in online publishing (which is what GrandOldTeam is doing).

So when I say stuff and give a warning, I am not shouting my mouth off for no reason.

Commentary and short excerpts are protected (see my use of content from other sites on the loans thread).

Copy and pasting articles is not, which is what was originally being encouraged (and practised in some cases, including some threads without any attribution) here.

It's the publication I explicitly named. The Mirror.

We ask a descriptor as a minimum is given. This remains, when posting a link to an online news story, please post suitable accompanying text.

That to me and my understanding of the Law that governs this in England and Wales is PRECISELY what the law requires you to do. No more no less.

In fact if people comment about the news being reported as cited. This exactly the intention of what the law is meant to allow.

It could be photos they are talking about. I would if I were you DD ban any LINKS to photos on Mirrors website.

Also just be ace.

Also add 'Trinity Mirror' to the bad language filter or something.

Justified.

Status
Not open for further replies.