Players well past their Sell By date

Status
Not open for further replies.

In a similar vein to a recent thread - players who were signed and you thought would be ace, but then proven to be out for 1 last big payday at our expense. For starters

Ginola,
Gazza,
Ashley Williams
Gazza played well for us.....I remember there being talk of getting back into the England Squad.

Wasn't sure when we singed Kevin Campbell all those years ago, he'd been about a bit by then and I thought he may be on the slide. Glad he proved me wrong he kept us up!
Richard Gough was another good signing who I thought may be past it when he joined.

Henry Newton

Poor old Henry was only 26 when we signed him. Came here to try and break into the England team but spent most of his time playing out of position at left-back. Remember his debut? Lost 4-0 at Arsenal (back in the days when we didn't regularly leak in 4 or 5) when Catterick shifted HK to centre-half, allowing Henry to replace him in midfield. That tactical masterstroke was never seen again and Henry was on the bench the following week. Eventually left us to play for Derby where he was in the team that won the league in 74/75 - the year we should have won it.

Wasn't sure when we singed Kevin Campbell all those years ago, he'd been about a bit by then and I thought he may be on the slide. Glad he proved me wrong he kept us up!
Richard Gough was another good signing who I thought may be past it when he joined.
Davy Weir, in the same boat there for me
29 when he signed, yet went on to play for 10+ more years for us and Rangers

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.