Players that never fulfilled their potential

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rooney. I know he's had an amazing career but expected more from him to be honest. I always thought he had all the footballing attributes to have been on the Ballon D'Or pódium along with Messi and Ronaldo for the last decade.

..wow, England and Manchester United’s greatest ever goalscorer who has won every domestic honour in the game, captained his country and won more caps than any other outfield player.

Mikel Arteta. Didn't quite make that additional step up that would have forced his way into the Spain squad.
Had the potential to be a world cup winner

Rodwell bombing is the biggest surprise for me in recent years. I remember watching him as a 16 year old in a pre season at Forrest and I described him as a ‘rolls royce’ due to his composure and confidence on the ball. Sad to see the lad bomb in the end.

...a couple from yesteryear;

Archie Styles had great pedigree playing for England Schoolboys U15s when that was really some achievement. He came into the side as a classy LB but never established a place and went to Birmingham as a makeweight in the Latchford/Kendal deal.

Gary Jones was a fine footballer but was another who never reached the heights of his ability.

I think with the majority of players in this thread, it demonstrates that ability alone is generally not enough.

Rooney might have been on that podium with Messi if he'd spent all his hours and downtime concentrating on his career... but, hey, he did well enough, just not Messi and Ronaldo levels of dedication.

I notice a theme here tho' - a lot of the players seem to have failed (or diminished) after a serious injury: Bolasie, Vaughan, Rodwell, Barkley, Smallman for example.

Here's more: Jimmy Husband took a hell of a battering and wasn't quite the same. Joe Royle was another post around 1972. Alan Whittle shone brightly in 1970... John Connolly, Micky Buckley

I remember the excitement when Vaughan scored against Palace, thought he'd be brilliant, then suffered injuries. I think he then came back in a game against Bolton and then got battered again after charging about like a loon.

I still keep an eye out for him now and wish him well.

..I actually think Vaughan’s injury problems were an issue at youth level. If I remember rightly his joints were a major problem and it’s orobably a testament to his attitude that he’s managed to have a lengthy career in the game.

Definitely Branch, he was so highly rated, Jeffers and Grant and Cadamarteri currently Barkley looks like he will never hit the heights expected. I wish we would have kept Ball and Dunne longer.

John Ebbrell and David Unsworth are notable mentions from the academy.

..wow, England and Manchester United’s greatest ever goalscorer who has won every domestic honour in the game, captained his country and won more caps than any other outfield player.

I know it sounds daft to say so, but I sort of agree about Rooney. He fulfilled a different kind of potential anyway. When he was still with us, Colin Harvey said he could become England's Maradona - playing where and how he liked. Ferguson turned him into a world class, but standard, centre forward.
There are a few others that have been mentioned, like Cadamarteri, who suffered coming into poor teams, and also from being messed around - playing well and then being rested. There's a lot to be said for just playing, and the rest of us putting up with the odd poor game.

I know why people are saying Rooney, it's not a disrespect it's just saying that actually he had the ability to have done even better than he did but his passion for alcohol fags and hookers didn't let him take the next step ala Ronaldo and Messi. At Utd first, people thought Rooney not Ronaldo was the one who would become a Ballon d'or winner but I think it was 2005 after that Euros when Ronaldo just clicked into gear and rooney just stayed at the level he was at.

Status
Not open for further replies.