2018/19 Phil Jagielka

Status
Not open for further replies.
...it’s strange but Jagielka has always been a player who improves for a run of games (invariably he starts a season slowly, fans call for his head then he hits top form). He’s not been the type to come in for one-off matches, his sharpness definitely picks up for game time. It’s one of the reasons i’ve doubted him coming in for certain games or coming off the bench.

I don’t think he had a particularly good game against Arsenal but it was great he got that goal.

I know it’s a cliche and I would never suggest we keep any player for this reason, but I imagine Silva likes having his influence around USM FF and the dressing room. He’ll be missed when he goes, but it’s up to others to fill that void.
He looked knackered when he scored the goal after 10 mins. Probably got though on adrenaline, nouse and the fact that the Arsenal forwards were gash.

He looked knackered when he scored the goal after 10 mins. Probably got though on adrenaline, nouse and the fact that the Arsenal forwards were gash.

.....I love the fella but he did get lucky and was skinned on a few occasions, he also lost his runner for a ball into the box that we got away with. He’s always needed games and it’s unlikely he’ll ever put a run together for us.

...it’s strange but Jagielka has always been a player who improves for a run of games (invariably he starts a season slowly, fans call for his head then he hits top form). He’s not been the type to come in for one-off matches, his sharpness definitely picks up for game time. It’s one of the reasons i’ve doubted him coming in for certain games or coming off the bench.

I don’t think he had a particularly good game against Arsenal but it was great he got that goal.

I know it’s a cliche and I would never suggest we keep any player for this reason, but I imagine Silva likes having his influence around USM FF and the dressing room. He’ll be missed when he goes, but it’s up to others to fill that void.

I'm genuinely quite torn on Jagielka. Although much of what @davek says can come across as a little full on I wouldn't easily discount all of it, I think there may well be a basis for it.

That being said experienced players are important for any business, particularly if they are on side and behind the manager. It certainly appears that Silva respects the role Jagielka has and Jagielka seems relatively content in the squad role.

You also have to factor in, if Zouma goes and Mina/Keane are back late from international duty we are going to be quite hard pressed for centre backs early into pre-season. The likelihood is we may need 2 cbs and the feeling may be, when you factor in transfer costs, agents fees etc that it is just cheaper/easier to keep him on another year and hopefully allow Gibson (and to an extent possibly Feeney/Holgate) to develop.

You are spot on about how his seasons go too. The last 2-3 it's the same pattern, he really struggles at the start but comes into his own at the end. His performance in last seasons Godsons derby was one of the best defensive displays I've seen in a derby. He just hammered everything clear.

To me he struggles to get the pace of the league early on. This is pretty natural for a lad of his age, it's just too quick and it will take him longer to get fully match fit. I also think the league pace slows down in the 2nd half of the season, it is less ferocious and sides begin to pitch in for draws more often and this helps him.

It's difficult to know what to do as in truth its dependent on a lot of other questions. How much money is available this summer? What other areas does the manager want players? What are they doing with Zouma? Has Mina settled? Is The interest in Keane real? How do they feel about Gibson, Holgate & Feeney? etc

I'm genuinely quite torn on Jagielka. Although much of what @davek says can come across as a little full on I wouldn't easily discount all of it, I think there may well be a basis for it.

That being said experienced players are important for any business, particularly if they are on side and behind the manager. It certainly appears that Silva respects the role Jagielka has and Jagielka seems relatively content in the squad role.

You also have to factor in, if Zouma goes and Mina/Keane are back late from international duty we are going to be quite hard pressed for centre backs early into pre-season. The likelihood is we may need 2 cbs and the feeling may be, when you factor in transfer costs, agents fees etc that it is just cheaper/easier to keep him on another year and hopefully allow Gibson (and to an extent possibly Feeney/Holgate) to develop.

You are spot on about how his seasons go too. The last 2-3 it's the same pattern, he really struggles at the start but comes into his own at the end. His performance in last seasons Godsons derby was one of the best defensive displays I've seen in a derby. He just hammered everything clear.

To me he struggles to get the pace of the league early on. This is pretty natural for a lad of his age, it's just too quick and it will take him longer to get fully match fit. I also think the league pace slows down in the 2nd half of the season, it is less ferocious and sides begin to pitch in for draws more often and this helps him.

It's difficult to know what to do as in truth its dependent on a lot of other questions. How much money is available this summer? What other areas does the manager want players? What are they doing with Zouma? Has Mina settled? Is The interest in Keane real? How do they feel about Gibson, Holgate & Feeney? etc

....sadly, I think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages in keeping Jagielka. I agree with Dave on that point. He’ll. undoubtably be missed but it’s up to others to fill the void (Coleman, Keane et al). We should be in a position to select any 2 from 3 regular CBs with the youngsters on the fringe as back-up.

Pennington might be surplus to requirements, but he’s injured and might be here at the start of the season.

Not at the age of 36 and taking up a squad place.

some of the people campaigning for jags to stay as a "squad player" don't seem to grasp the meaning

a squad player is someone to come in and fill the void of a first teamer, ie injury, what if our CBS got injured mid season for a while and we had to rely on jags say over the Christmas period? you honestly think he can play a couple of games a day? not a chance

let him go and get in someone younger in

some of the people campaigning for jags to stay as a "squad player" don't seem to grasp the meaning

a squad player is someone to come in and fill the void of a first teamer, ie injury, what if our CBS got injured mid season for a while and we had to rely on jags say over the Christmas period? you honestly think he can play a couple of games a day? not a chance

let him go and get in someone younger in

whoops I mean a couple of games a week! couple of games a day would be a bit much tbf

Status
Not open for further replies.