Park End Retail Development: cancelled 'until next year'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets be fair here, it hasn't been canceled at all. Canceling something says it has been scrapped. It hasn't been scrapped, the opening of it has been put back. Obviously it would be lovely for projects to be completed on time and on budget but Britain seems especially bad at doing that. As the Echo article states, it was initially put back from the summer until Christmas, at which point the club thought opening mid-season would cause issues (as big launches seldom go smoothly), so a summer launch would be easier.

Of course it's not ideal but lets not go overboard with this.

lol

You're so naive where this club's concerned.

Why do you bring in the 'events round the world' argument? Bruce, tragedies occur everyday, are we supposed to stop and not do anything because we should always have a sense of perspective. As a paying customer, which Everton like to brand us now, customers, not supporters, i am sick of broken promises, i am am sick of the fact that if i ask what the 'complex legal matters' are, i will get spin and a non-detailed answer.

Again, we get left behind, something which was positive actually happening and we can't even get that right.

If i want to brand it a disgrace i will, because Bruce, it is the latest in the long line of incidents that Everton have failed on, and i think it is unfair of you to use the sense of perspective argument.

Sorry for being passionate, lid, leave the condescending, patronising tones out in future

Exactly, mate. Maybe Danny should hang a sign on the front page: "Closed Until Libya Crisis Passes".

Disgrace is quite possibly the most overused word in the English language, especially on the web where keyboard warriors get hot under the collar at the slightest thing. As I posted before, probably half of all major projects go over their deadline. It happens, and your exhortations that by this project not meeting its initial it is somehow a national bloody disgrace is juvenile.

dishonor: bring shame or dishonor upon; "he dishonored his family by committing a serious crime"

I guarantee you that no one outside of the Everton fraternity gives a **** about this, therefore it cannot possibly be regarded as a disgrace. So yes, you should get a sense of perspective because life isn't as black and white as the academic world. For instance the proposed NHS IT system was/is over 5 years late and several hundred million over budget. The Olympics will cost significantly more than was initially budgeted for. Both have far more claim to be considered a disgrace than our piddly little project to build a new shop.

Seriously, if you get this wound up by things like this you're going to spend a lot of time angry during your life.

Exactly, mate. Maybe Danny should hang a sign on the front page: "Closed Until Libya Crisis Passes".

lol

You're so naive where this club's concerned.

I'm naive? From the man suggesting a delayed project has been canceled. If I'm naive then you must be dishonest then Dave. I would love nothing more than for this project to happen ahead of deadline and come in under budget. Reality suggests this happens very rarely. The majority of major projects don't even come in on time and on budget, so in the real world this project is merely par for the course of badly managed major projects. You're the naive one for using this as another excuse to bash the club.

Disgrace is quite possibly the most overused word in the English language, especially on the web where keyboard warriors get hot under the collar at the slightest thing. As I posted before, probably half of all major projects go over their deadline. It happens, and your exhortations that by this project not meeting its initial it is somehow a national bloody disgrace is juvenile.

I guarantee you that no one outside of the Everton fraternity gives a **** about this, therefore it cannot possibly be regarded as a disgrace. So yes, you should get a sense of perspective because life isn't as black and white as the academic world. For instance the proposed NHS IT system was/is over 5 years late and several hundred million over budget. The Olympics will cost significantly more than was initially budgeted for. Both have far more claim to be considered a disgrace than our piddly little project to build a new shop.

Seriously, if you get this wound up by things like this you're going to spend a lot of time angry during your life.

Dya know what mate, i've told you in the past, i don't always agree, but i have respect for you opinions. Would be nice if you shown some back, instead your coming across very patronising, you can at least refer to me when you talking about me. As i said Bruce, if i want to brand it a disgrace i will.

I don't care about some meffy Olympics for cockneys, i care about Everton, and as a customer (using that word again) if i want to be unhappy about this, then i think i have the right to and at the very least i think you should respect that, rather than chastise me like your all high & mighty

I'm naive? From the man suggesting a delayed project has been canceled. If I'm naive then you must be dishonest then Dave. I would love nothing more than for this project to happen ahead of deadline and come in under budget. Reality suggests this happens very rarely. The majority of major projects don't even come in on time and on budget, so in the real world this project is merely par for the course of badly managed major projects. You're the naive one for using this as another excuse to bash the club.

You have numerous examples of capital projects announced by the club failing to materialise - and using this staged retreat format to herald an upcoming project failure - and you still give them the benefit of the doubt that this one will come off...despite there already being two delays to it?

Ok, I'll take back that 'naive' jibe and say that you're very trusting instead!

You have numerous examples of capital projects announced by the club failing to materialise - and using this staged retreat format to herald an upcoming project failure - and you still give them the benefit of the doubt that this one will come off...despite there already being two delays to it?

Ok, I'll take back that 'naive' jibe and say that you're very trusting instead!

There's no reason to believe it won't come off as I have no idea what the legal issues delaying the start are. It makes perfect sense to delay launch until summer because you can just imagine the uproar if any hitches in delivery impact upon the ability of fans to buy tickets etc. As hitches are quite likely it makes sense to launch at a quieter time, especially as Christmas is probably a key time of year for the retail market, so it's one time of year you don't want cock ups.

Dya know what mate, i've told you in the past, i don't always agree, but i have respect for you opinions. Would be nice if you shown some back, instead your coming across very patronising, you can at least refer to me when you talking about me. As i said Bruce, if i want to brand it a disgrace i will.

I don't care about some meffy Olympics for cockneys, i care about Everton, and as a customer (using that word again) if i want to be unhappy about this, then i think i have the right to and at the very least i think you should respect that, rather than chastise me like your all high & mighty

It happens all the time though (not with you in particular I hasten to add). We lose a game or whatever and this place is torture for a few days with bleach overdoses galore. I dare say it'll be exactly the same over the summer when we don't splash the cash. By all means care about the club, that's what we're all here for, but it reminds me of this image.

duty_calls.png

is this really a big deal?

From what I understand the club either want to open the new development in the summer, so they can have a massive gala launch, like one of Bill's theatre premier's, maybe combine it with the launch of some new kits (and I pray, some new signings).

Or around Christmas, so they can get a load of people in the new shop, buying Christmas presents.

They have had some delays, so it has been pushed back to next year, no big deal in my opinion. Its better to get it right in the end, rather than fudge it

is this really a big deal?

From what I understand the club either want to open the new development in the summer, so they can have a massive gala launch, like one of Bill's theatre premier's, maybe combine it with the launch of some new kits (and I pray, some new signings).

Or around Christmas, so they can get a load of people in the new shop, buying Christmas presents.

They have had some delays, so it has been pushed back to next year, no big deal in my opinion. Its better to get it right in the end, rather than fudge it

But what's the 'complex legal matters' *delaying* this?

When the deal was announced it was as straight forward as you could get - as Robert Elstone said:"This new scheme is totally self-funded by partners so there is no net cost to the Club.” So no financial issue there. And the council gave it planning permission. So all systems go from there too.

Maybe they could try informing everyone in a general way what the complex leagl matters relate to. What area of this project has stalled it. Then maybe it'd be a believable hitch rather than being seen as a project getting kicked into the long grass and eventually abandoned.

But what's the 'complex legal matters' *delaying* this?

When the deal was announced it was as straight forward as you could get - as Robert Elstone said:"This new scheme is totally self-funded by partners so there is no net cost to the Club.” So no financial issue there. And the council gave it planning permission. So all systems go from there too.

Maybe they could try informing everyone in a general way what the complex leagl matters relate to. What area of this project has stalled it. Then maybe it'd be a believable hitch rather than being seen as a project getting kicked into the long grass and eventually abandoned.

This, and people wonder why conspiracy theories are created.

Personally, I'm glad that its being put back. Praise for Everton for thinking ahead with this project. I know its heretical for some on here to hear praise for the board but good on them. My concern is that i think that it puts the cart before the horse. I would have wanted them to at least lay out a forward looking plan for Goodison Park. For example, if this is built, what would be the effect upon any development on GP given the small footprint?

While I'm happy to praise them for this forward looking project, I would also damn them for not giving us a vision for how they see GP, even if they don't have the money to put down a bean counter at the moment.

But terms like inexusable, etc are a bit OTT - I'd rather it be build properly rather than rushed with attendant criticism from those only too ready to put the boot in.

on its own, maybe, but when added to the VERY long list of failures by the board, disgrace does not come close, but sums up the board well..........

but in the long line of f##k ups by this board , its a gnat bite true, that should not devalue the embaressment felt by supporters as yet ANOTHER project hits a problem, seriously, what have this shower of charltans done right?

Status
Not open for further replies.