Our most important ever signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if I agree with that.

We had taken Daniel Amokachi to our hearts several years before Kevin arrived.

I do agree to a point, but he didn't have the galvanising effect on the team and fans that Campbell had. I just think that Campbell properly opened the doors for black players to come to Everton and let them know that everything was going to be sound for them at the club.

Has to be Kevin Campbell, without him we would of sunk. Looking at other decent size teams who have gone down and never really made it back to compete in the top hald regular, that would be us right now without Kev.

John Moore's and Harry Catterick :If you look at our league form post- war it was only after John Moore's took over in 1960 and appointed Harry Catterick in 1961 that we emerged from the doldrums.

http://www.everton-mad.co.uk/league_history/everton/index.shtml
Slighty off topic but look at the plummet after our 1970 league win?! Can we put Evertons rubbish season down to the Brazil world cup rather than any thing else? As 1st to 14th would suggest we're not all that good after world cups (especially when we have lots of players going)

Slighty off topic but look at the plummet after our 1970 league win?! Can we put Evertons rubbish season down to the Brazil world cup rather than any thing else? As 1st to 14th would suggest we're not all that good after world cups (especially when we have lots of players going)
A post in Toffeweb which asks the same question, and gives some possible answers :

http://toffeeweb.com/season/12-13/comment/fan/23612.html

Reading the post in Toffeweb above, it mentions the 'Hollybush' scandal, which involved Alan Whittle. Does anybody have any further prurient details ?

Howard Kendall. Liverpool nearly got him instead of us but he went on to be part of our best ever midfield and then our best ever manager. If he'd gone elsewhere from Preston in the 60s who knows who would have managed us throughout the 80s.

Entered this thread late but for me our most important signing was Howard Kendall.
Not only for his contribution as a player but for all that followed in the 1980's.

Singularly our most successful manager, part of arguably the greatest midfield seen in the English game, he really does not get the credit he deserves.

Howard Kendall. Liverpool nearly got him instead of us but he went on to be part of our best ever midfield and then our best ever manager. If he'd gone elsewhere from Preston in the 60s who knows who would have managed us throughout the 80s.

Sorry mate just posted almost the same immediately after you without realising.

Agree totally.

Status
Not open for further replies.