Our most important ever signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin Campbell all day long. The most important thing to me about him was he almost single handily removed the long standing perception that Everton as a club were inherently racist. His goals, his team spirt and his infectious personality turned a lot of fans round to the idea that it didn't matter what colour Everton were. If you look at how many non white players signed before and after he played it's real eye opener. He took to the club and we took to him. He wasn't one of our greatest players in terms of footballing ability, but I love him to bits for what he did during his time with us. One person really can make that much difference.

I don't know if I agree with that.

We had taken Daniel Amokachi to our hearts several years before Kevin arrived.

Campbell kept us up, dunc kept us up in 98, the likes of reid and gray added something that was missing to the 80's team, southall went on to be the best in the world, and arguably the most important player in a double title winning team, then you go beyond that, dixie, ball, had we not got kendall it might have affected two era's not just one so he gets my vote, impossible question though

....I'm finding this difficult, there have been plenty of great signings but this view and that of others is convincing. I would agree with Howard Kendall.

Agree to a point, but strongly suspect we were relegated well after his arrival at the club.

We were, but would we have bounced straight back without Dean?

Like if Campbell is important cos he kept us upo, surely equally dean deserves credit for getting us out of the second flight at the first attempt.

I really thought Andy Van Der Meyde was a signing that would put us up there.

£2.5m seemed such a bargain at the time.

Obviously it went badly badly tits up.

Campbell was an immense sighning as mentioned.

Marcus Bent fit that system of one up top arguably better than anyone we've ever had, despite not being that good at football.

I remember reading a bunch of stuff from neutral sites that commented on how 2.5M for VDM was a steal.

Counting back to 04-05 when I 1st became a fan
I'd have to say Cahill because he was main force that got us 4th that year. Arteta is just behind him.

Hard to compare across eras. Signing Campbell kept us up and probably saved us from oblivion. Farrelly scored the goal, but part of the reason we were down at the bottom was because he was signed and played.

Lukaku might be important because the 35m Wolfsberg will give us will allow us to overhaul the squad a bit!

Big Nev, saved more goals than any striker scored.

There's not many that would be considered 'Worlds Best' whilst with us but Nev was, and for all the fanfares that some keepers have had since his time (worldwide) I'm still not so sure there have been any as good.

I certainly used to Pfft any United Fans that used to tout Schmeichel.

Status
Not open for further replies.