Our most important ever signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Farrelly rules himself out imo because although he scored a very important goal it was also his general gashness that helped us to be perched on the edge of the abyss.

You could say that about Barry Horne as until Wimbledon Day he was derided by the fans.

It has to be Howard.

Not only did he become a crucial component in the greatest, if largely unsung outside Goodison's portals, midfield in post war English football but he fell in love with the club and went on to become the most successful manager in the our history.

Now, although I see the merit in picking Kevin Campbell or Barry Horne in view of their heroics in keeping us up, I think our club is defined by what we actually won over the years.

And for that reason I would nominate Peter Reid, Neville Southall, Alan Ball, Alex Young and Dixie Dean for honourable mentions.
In respect to Alex Young, and to save my embarrassment, I've edited this bit
Kevin Campbell is the obvious shout in the Murdoch era but along with Big Nev (no not Phil), Reidy, Latch, Ball etc. the greatest signing this club ever made was a steal from Tranmere Rovers for £3,000

Last edited:
Did the Golden Vision actually win anything at Goodison?
Kevin Campbell is the obvious shout in the Murdoch era but along with Big Nev (no not Phil), Reidy, Latch, Ball etc. the greatest signing this club ever made was a steal from Tranmere Rovers for £3,000

Tut,tut,wash your mouth out mate;)lol

Big Nev or Peter Reid.

Total cost £60,000

Both won us 2 titles, F aCup and Cup winners cup.

Both were consistently brilliant.

Did the Golden Vision actually win anything at Goodison?

You betcha.

Won the League in '63 and the Cup in '66.

But the main reason I put him firward is that in an age when football was becoming a glamourous, fashionable sport, Alex became the poster boy for EFC.......even to the extent of being the eponymous hero in the BBC play "The Golden Vision".

Of course, Everton being Everton we couldn't capitalise on his profile outwith the confines of football.

As other teams used their superstars to enhance a media profile which has endured to this day.....the Bests, Osgoods, Summerbees, Greaves etc.....EFC were busy banning TV crews from the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.