Old Everton Pictures

Do you remember those Frido pimpled football balloons ?
We played with them even when they went down one ball to share with 15 kids lol

....of course I do, Joey, very lightweight. You were made up getting a proper Lacey football, can still smell the rubber inside it now. They were heavy when they got wet.

I was at an amateur boxing show in Manchester, The West Lancs and Cheshire team were fighting a Jewish representative team, Joe Mercer was there with Paddy Credand, I said to Joe Mercer “ I thought Mike Summerbee would have come with you to cheer the Jewish lads on” Joe never got it, just looked blank, Paddy Credand laughed his head off.
We taunted him with the chant we will walk a million miles to the end of your nose- oh Summerbee - he always took it in good fun...

Mick would run through a wall for any team he played for -Sheffield Wednesday-
View attachment 58920
Every week in the programme there seemed to be a photo of Mick with blood pouring from another wound..............blue blood though obviously, maybe not the greatest player to don the royal blue but for commitment,bravery and putting your neck on the line for your boyhood club, he had few peers!!

Only if we could do this soon = trophies -
Everton Captain Kevin Ratcliffe in 1985
D7RqRBeXoAAZUFC.jpg

Even that ball my hero is chasing after had some weight in it used them in senior school - You remember trying to blow them up, its a long time ago but if I remember right you'd connect your pump to the bladder via thin tube blow the ball up then what I remember doing was folding the tube over and tying tightly to prevent the air escaping, then pushed the tube into the leather ball then lace it up what a palaver it was.
View attachment 58933

I have posted this before but it is worth repeating.

One weekend the BR family were over for a match. Forget who but it was early 2006. I had seen a framed picture of the history of the EFC jersies in the city centre. I liked it but it was about £40.

We went out to the ground as usual about 1 and it was in the megastore for around £25. Of course I bought it there and then and leaving Mrs and Miss BR went to pay and then out onto Goodison Rd.

Then it hit me. What was I going to do with it during the match. I probably looked bewildered when suddenly this gent in a blazer appeared in front of me and said "can I help you sir"?

I looked at him and muttered " Mr Labone sir?".

He smiled and said I could call him Brian.
I explained about my problem with the framed picture and he told me to follow him. We went into the main reception area where he explained for me (I was speechless) the issue and asked the bloke at the reception counter to take the print and mind it for me until after the match.

"Yes Mr Labone no problem. "

I floated back to the megastore to meet the other two.

Can you imagine the same happening in any other PL club?

Sadly Brian died all too suddenly shortly after, but I will never forget his kindness and politeness to me that day.

Peter Farrell my hero would approve. He always told me "I went to a high school on a high mountain ".

This is an example of why we are Evertonians.

Brian and Peter .....enjoy your well deserved time in the true Paradise.

Last edited: