New Sponsor: Fancurve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now @MikelsGoat can fit into a Jersey at least !

They do ‘blue whale’ size now?

1EF80697-A590-4EA8-B495-61C087D8FB82.jpeg

This is a much better way to describe it. The only ‘product’ you get is the image tho, and ‘ownership’ of an image anyone can grab for free is imho a grift. Theres a reason NFTs are often used to clean dirty crypto.

It's the 'digital time stamp' that is being purchased, not the image itself. So it's entirely possible to get a 'digital time stamp' of something that you don't even own. I could upload the Everton badge onto a blockchain without permission, for example. I'd then have a 'digital time stamp' pertaining to the badge but it wouldn't do me much good because I don't own the rights to the Everton badge. However, if I did own the rights to the Everton badge, recording it on a blockchain with a digital time stamp could be a method of proving ownership. If you buy into this, it's the time stamp that has value, not the image itself.

This is true, it has gone from hype to tripe in just a matter of months. The worldwide meltdown has played a role in that though. The digital world takes a back seat when you're struggling to pay your rent in the real world. They will come back though, in my opinion. NFT's aren't just about crap monkey paintings.
I can’t see it.

The whole thing is a con. Manufactured scarcity of a resource that no one is actually interested in.

With gold, or any other real resource, you can’t just decide to magically generate more different types of it and start your own business selling your own variety of gold.

That’s basically what crypto is trying to do - and the only reason it’s worked at all so far is that there are plenty of suckers who want to get in on the ground floor of something they think is going to fly.

NFTs are the daftest subset of all. While free image / audio / video formats are a thing, and they always will be, there’s literally no reason to pay for something that’s functionally equivalent. Except because you think it will somehow magically go up in value.

It’s a Ponzi scheme, and it’s over.

It's the 'digital time stamp' that is being purchased, not the image itself. So it's entirely possible to get a 'digital time stamp' of something that you don't even own. I could upload the Everton badge onto a blockchain without permission, for example. I'd then have a 'digital time stamp' pertaining to the badge but it wouldn't do me much good because I don't own the rights to the Everton badge. However, if I did own the rights to the Everton badge, recording it on a blockchain with a digital time stamp could be a method of proving ownership. If you buy into this, it's the time stamp that has value, not the image itself.
You and others would have to buy into it for it to have any actual value in comparison to an image you copy paste from google. Thats part of the problem and why so many are having negative reactions to NFTs in general. As is, something with no practical value in any way is being sold for a fee, taking advantage of peoples fandom to grift them for cash.
If you could buy an Everton NFT and use it on your character in a game for example, noone would bat an eye - thats already common practice. It would still just be ownership of a file, but there would be some ‘practical value’ to it. Currently theres non and its an abusive way to make money.

I can’t see it.

The whole thing is a con. Manufactured scarcity of a resource that no one is actually interested in.

With gold, or any other real resource, you can’t just decide to magically generate more different types of it and start your own business selling your own variety of gold.

That’s basically what crypto is trying to do - and the only reason it’s worked at all so far is that there are plenty of suckers who want to get in on the ground floor of something they think is going to fly.

NFTs are the daftest subset of all. While free image / audio / video formats are a thing, and they always will be, there’s literally no reason to pay for something that’s functionally equivalent. Except because you think it will somehow magically go up in value.

It’s a Ponzi scheme, and it’s over.

They are barcodes that can be used to establish ownership of something. I think it's a practice that is in its infancy rather than a dying breed.

Status
Not open for further replies.