New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s grim like, the Prem roll call looks as follows

93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 99, 00, 01, 03, 07, 08, 09, 11, 13 - Scottish (Ferguson and Dalglish)

98, 02, 04 - French (Wenger)

05, 06, 15 - Portuguese (Mourinho)

10, 12, 16, 17 - Italian (Ancelotti, Mancini, Ranieri and Conte)

14 - Chilean (Pellegrini)

19 - German (Klopp)

18, 19, 21 - Spaniard (Guardiola)

The last time there was a dominance of title winning managers being English was between 1976 and 1987 when Howard (twice), Bob Paisley (6), Ron Saunders, Brian Clough and Joe Fagan all won it with only Dalglish breaking the monopoly in 1986

The previous time before that was during the period pre and post Second World War when Sir Matt Busby was the only ‘foreign’ manager to claim the English title , in 1952, since Johnny Cochrane did it with Sunderland in 1936. Busby would snap a run of ‘home’ winners twice more, going back to back in 56 and 57 then again, along with Shankly between 1964 and 1967
And were in for 2 Englishmen, one has been relegated and the other 17th by the skin of his teeth. They play nice football though :hayee:

Why are people talking about the fat waiter? I would understand that if he was a decent manager at least. Why not consider Steve Bruce? Has got better results with Newcastle than fatty.
He was ok back when he had a decent 2IC coach to do the hard yards hand on stuff, this coach, whose name I forget now, is long gone.
Hence Bruce doing better with the same players?

As controversial as it is amongst some blues, I honestly don't give a toss whatever clubs he worked for in the past or previous comments which is no different that what most Managers are guilty of doing while working for a club i would take Rafael as Manager of Everton any day of the week and i hope he is being considered by Brands and Moshi. He is miles better than Nuno and half of the other nobodies who are being linked with us and the only thing i care about is a quality manager Managing Everton no matter what he had for dinner or how many knock and runs he did when he was a teenager.

Get him appointed Moshi and lets put the cat amongst the pigeons. ;)

To be honest I’m ambivalent about him.

There are lots of negative comments about him on here from people who know absolutely nothing by about what he is doing, how he works with the owner or what his actual remit is. These sorts of comments are totally pointless dogma.

I do note Joe Royles positive comments about the academy reorganisation and the fact the owner wanted to retain him.

However, I am also aware of the problems with the squad, some of which are self generated, some of which are legacy, and some of which are now exacerbated by Ancelotti’s tenure.

3 years in and none of us still know what he actually does, indicates that it isn’t a lot. Furthermore, the squad still has the same holes in it that were there when he started.

There are a lot of excuses that help people devoid Brands of any fault at all for the position we are in as a football club, which isn’t a great one.

I feel like Carlo leaving and the Euros has only bought him more time.

Well the last one was Lampard who spent over £230 mil on an already good squad of players.

Well he doesn't count
I’d take a shot on Lampard. He took over Chelsea when they we’re in a right mess. They had a transfer ban and lost a few players. He gave the kids a go and actually did okay. People thought he’d do a lot worse.

We don't have any good kids tho

As controversial as it is amongst some blues, I honestly don't give a toss whatever clubs he worked for in the past or previous comments which is no different that what most Managers are guilty of doing while working for a club i would take Rafael as Manager of Everton any day of the week and i hope he is being considered by Brands and Moshi. He is miles better than Nuno and half of the other nobodies who are being linked with us and the only thing i care about is a quality manager Managing Everton no matter what he had for dinner or how many knock and runs he did when he was a teenager.

Even if you ignore his past he's past it. Better options out there.

Probably is better than Nuno. Still don’t want him anywhere near the club(n)

So basically what you’re saying is, if I’m reading between the lines. You’re fine with appointing Ferguson, because he could be like Sean Dyche?

Hodgson, is an experienced manager, who’s been successful at what he does for 4 decades.

Sean Dyche has managed previously and does what he needs for Burnley.

Appointing Ferguson as a manager, who has no experience, to manage a side like ours, is going to go well?

Leicester dominated us, United Dominated us, Arsenal was a disaster. Don’t let the fact it’s Dunc cloud your judgement.

Love the bloke, but we didn’t set the world alight, he has no managerial experience, and coming in, when the clubs at its lowest ebb for 3-4 years, is a recipe for disaster, and I thoroughly believe we’d be in a relegation scrap.
Leicester dominated us this season as well, Arsenal were far better then than now and this season against Utd was hardly a resounding success and that was Ancelotti who was able to sign four players for his team

I understand that but you just as you cant expect the team to play like they did in every game they did for dunk because they were dead on their feet through the Leicester and arsenal game(which we should of had two pens for hand ball in btw). You also cant castigate some one on there managerial prowess based on such a small time in charge. He was in charge for 4 games and people think he should of had us playing like prime Brazil. He had us playing in a way that was as uncomplicated as possible and effective as possible to maximise the points we could gain against tough opposition in the short time he had to work with the players. With a pre season to actually start to implement a style with some of his own players who knows what we might see from his style of play.

So i mention a team that won the league, a team that regularly finishes mid table and a team that bounces around from mid table to battling relegation and you went with the latter...interesting take.

The fact of the matter was there wasn't any reading between the lines of my post because I said what I ment in the post and used the 3 examples as evidence for it.

This league isn't complicated and you don't even have to play complicated football to be successful. You just have to play effect football and I believe that dunk can play effect football.

Lampard came in and got fourth with Chelsea and where was his managerial experience? One year at failing at derby. He didn't even have any coaching experience apart from his time for his badges. Dunk is the most experienced coach in the league and knows this squad inside and out.

I wouldnt expect dunk to get us too 4th but I dont think he would have us battling relegation either and he'd be able to build and work in sync with brands and blood through some youngsters as well.
Hate to say this, but the name Lampard clearly carried more weight than Duncan Ferguson for players. Some managers doesn't actually do a lot of micromanagement but rather manage by respect (and so he's gone when he lost the changing room).

Of course, at this moment, he's back to square one and he had to earn respect from players as not a player, but a manager.

Why not Steven Gerrard

In an ideal world we would get Pochettino but he turned us down before Ancelotti apparently and there’s nothing to suggest he would pick us before Spurs even if he becomes available. You do wonder why he keeps failing to win trophies, even a one horse race in France.

Conte is obviously the big name available. This certainly wouldn’t be a bad appointment but he would only worth hiring if he agreed to work with players chosen by Brands on top of Rom if we could entice him back. What Carlo has shown us is that there is no loyalty whatsoever in football so we cannot buy another load of footballers only coming to us because of a manager who will be gone within 2 years.

Galtier seems like an interesting appointment who has done a fantastic job at Lille despite his best players being sold and is certainly somebody I could get on board with. He would be willing to work with and develop young, hungry, ambitious and quick players in the Godfrey mould that we need to be targeting going forward

Please stop with the Potter shouts. The man has done absolutely nothing to suggest he can take a club like ours to the next level. It is such a small minded appointment which would show the mediocrity of the club that we have just gotten away from with the Ancelotti appointment. The lowered expectations of the Kenwright era has affected you all. A lot of you actually wanted Big Sam! You will be the same ones moaning in 2 years time of a lack of ambition when we finish mid table again

More than anything think about the optics. What does it say to potential players going from Ancelotti to Potter. Does that sound like a club on the way up. Ancelloti to Gerrard doesn’t seem as bad. His name alone will attract players especially younger players who probably idolised him growing up

However the worst choice we could make is Moyes. Even Big Sam would be better than Davey as we know Sam would be gone in 12 months. As I said when it looked like Moyes would come back before we appointment Carlo, Moyes is a good enough manager to earn a new contract but he won’t win you anything which is what we all want. He has done exactly that at West Ham. Appointing him would be another 5 years wasted. Moyes was the right coach at the right time when he was appointed but he outstayed his welcome. I’ll never forgive him for how he blew the semi final against Liverpool. Even at one up it was clear in that first half that things were going wrong and he did absolutely nothing to change it. Who wants to go back to the plucky underdog narrative that Moyes did his best to harvest as it made him look better and excused his lack of fight against the big clubs, sitting back, inviting pressure, waiting to concede

So on to Gerrard. Despite how much most of us hate him there is no doubt he is a winner. Does anyone think he’ll stand for Sigurdsson or Gomes strolling around in midfield with the ball getting passed round them. He’s a local lad who was around in the 80s so knows what it means to see Everton as a winner. He’ll certainly have us fired up in the Derby. Despite his loyalties he does seem the type to want to lose at anything. Let’s not forget he was happy to leave Liverpool twice for Chelsea before he got threats (allegedly)

At least get him in for an interview. What’s the worst that can happen. One meeting will tell you if he’s up for the fight. Failing that the meeting will give you a useful insight into a potential manager of our arch rivals and it’ll unite the fan base behind anyone that it eventually chosen if we don’t appoint him!

He has just won a trophy which is what we want. Yes it was Scotland and you can say it’s a two horse race but it hasn’t been a two horse race up there in 10 years. Going undefeated and only conceding 4 goals at home all season (if I read that correctly) is unbelievable especially in a COVID no fan year. It’s clear we need to sort out our home form

Moving to Everton is a step up in players he is managing so there is no issue with a big manager like Ancelotti or Conte suddenly having to deal with lesser players. He will be happy working with and developing the young, hungry players that Brands has to bring in.

Are we a stepping stone to Liverpool, yes probably. However it’s not going to be like Barmby who left us out of the blue. Both sides know it’s a marriage of convenience. He needs to win a trophy/ get into the Champions League to persuade Liverpool to hire him and we are desperate for either. It’s a win-win. Most managers are going to leave after a couple of years and any player or manager who joins us should be looking to go from us to a massive club. It’s just where we are at present

So onto the biggest issue, the fact that he’s a Liverpool legend. We all love Beardsley, Watson, Sheedy and Ablett. I agree it’s probably not the same. Let me try it another way. If Klopp fell out with FSG tomorrow but wanted to stay in the area and would take the job if Moshiri was willing to make him the highest paid manager in the world, how many of us would take him as manager. Most of us would if we’re honest. He too is a Liverpool legend

I would be genuinely be interested to see how many of you would have him

I'd have Gerrard, he's a winner, not really follow scottish football much, but he's done a good job there. Gerrard to me is a better shout than who we are linked with at mo
Two different approaches, both equally transparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.