New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not against Eddie Howe IF (big if) that's what Brands concluded after going through dozens of interviews. Am I right in thinking MB hasn't himself made an appointment so far as DOF? If we're trusting the DOF to make the decision not Moshiri or Kenwright then who ever it is we have to accept they tick all the boxes for MB. Don't think any name so far has universal agreement.

Whoever it is it will be a measured decision, doesn't look like a rush job.

I feel like you’re mistaking Brands for a DoF that actually does his job.
To be honest I’m ambivalent about him.

There are lots of negative comments about him on here from people who know absolutely nothing by about what he is doing, how he works with the owner or what his actual remit is. These sorts of comments are totally pointless dogma.

I do note Joe Royles positive comments about the academy reorganisation and the fact the owner wanted to retain him.

However, I am also aware of the problems with the squad, some of which are self generated, some of which are legacy, and some of which are now exacerbated by Ancelotti’s tenure.

Why not Steven Gerrard

In an ideal world we would get Pochettino but he turned us down before Ancelotti apparently and there’s nothing to suggest he would pick us before Spurs even if he becomes available. You do wonder why he keeps failing to win trophies, even a one horse race in France.

Conte is obviously the big name available. This certainly wouldn’t be a bad appointment but he would only worth hiring if he agreed to work with players chosen by Brands on top of Rom if we could entice him back. What Carlo has shown us is that there is no loyalty whatsoever in football so we cannot buy another load of footballers only coming to us because of a manager who will be gone within 2 years.

Galtier seems like an interesting appointment who has done a fantastic job at Lille despite his best players being sold and is certainly somebody I could get on board with. He would be willing to work with and develop young, hungry, ambitious and quick players in the Godfrey mould that we need to be targeting going forward

Please stop with the Potter shouts. The man has done absolutely nothing to suggest he can take a club like ours to the next level. It is such a small minded appointment which would show the mediocrity of the club that we have just gotten away from with the Ancelotti appointment. The lowered expectations of the Kenwright era has affected you all. A lot of you actually wanted Big Sam! You will be the same ones moaning in 2 years time of a lack of ambition when we finish mid table again

More than anything think about the optics. What does it say to potential players going from Ancelotti to Potter. Does that sound like a club on the way up. Ancelloti to Gerrard doesn’t seem as bad. His name alone will attract players especially younger players who probably idolised him growing up

However the worst choice we could make is Moyes. Even Big Sam would be better than Davey as we know Sam would be gone in 12 months. As I said when it looked like Moyes would come back before we appointment Carlo, Moyes is a good enough manager to earn a new contract but he won’t win you anything which is what we all want. He has done exactly that at West Ham. Appointing him would be another 5 years wasted. Moyes was the right coach at the right time when he was appointed but he outstayed his welcome. I’ll never forgive him for how he blew the semi final against Liverpool. Even at one up it was clear in that first half that things were going wrong and he did absolutely nothing to change it. Who wants to go back to the plucky underdog narrative that Moyes did his best to harvest as it made him look better and excused his lack of fight against the big clubs, sitting back, inviting pressure, waiting to concede

So on to Gerrard. Despite how much most of us hate him there is no doubt he is a winner. Does anyone think he’ll stand for Sigurdsson or Gomes strolling around in midfield with the ball getting passed round them. He’s a local lad who was around in the 80s so knows what it means to see Everton as a winner. He’ll certainly have us fired up in the Derby. Despite his loyalties he does seem the type to want to lose at anything. Let’s not forget he was happy to leave Liverpool twice for Chelsea before he got threats (allegedly)

At least get him in for an interview. What’s the worst that can happen. One meeting will tell you if he’s up for the fight. Failing that the meeting will give you a useful insight into a potential manager of our arch rivals and it’ll unite the fan base behind anyone that it eventually chosen if we don’t appoint him!

He has just won a trophy which is what we want. Yes it was Scotland and you can say it’s a two horse race but it hasn’t been a two horse race up there in 10 years. Going undefeated and only conceding 4 goals at home all season (if I read that correctly) is unbelievable especially in a COVID no fan year. It’s clear we need to sort out our home form

Moving to Everton is a step up in players he is managing so there is no issue with a big manager like Ancelotti or Conte suddenly having to deal with lesser players. He will be happy working with and developing the young, hungry players that Brands has to bring in.

Are we a stepping stone to Liverpool, yes probably. However it’s not going to be like Barmby who left us out of the blue. Both sides know it’s a marriage of convenience. He needs to win a trophy/ get into the Champions League to persuade Liverpool to hire him and we are desperate for either. It’s a win-win. Most managers are going to leave after a couple of years and any player or manager who joins us should be looking to go from us to a massive club. It’s just where we are at present

So onto the biggest issue, the fact that he’s a Liverpool legend. We all love Beardsley, Watson, Sheedy and Ablett. I agree it’s probably not the same. Let me try it another way. If Klopp fell out with FSG tomorrow but wanted to stay in the area and would take the job if Moshiri was willing to make him the highest paid manager in the world, how many of us would take him as manager. Most of us would if we’re honest. He too is a Liverpool legend

I would be genuinely be interested to see how many of you would have him

You’re missing something key…. There is no way on earth he’d take the job.

Why not Steven Gerrard

In an ideal world we would get Pochettino but he turned us down before Ancelotti apparently and there’s nothing to suggest he would pick us before Spurs even if he becomes available. You do wonder why he keeps failing to win trophies, even a one horse race in France.

Conte is obviously the big name available. This certainly wouldn’t be a bad appointment but he would only worth hiring if he agreed to work with players chosen by Brands on top of Rom if we could entice him back. What Carlo has shown us is that there is no loyalty whatsoever in football so we cannot buy another load of footballers only coming to us because of a manager who will be gone within 2 years.

Galtier seems like an interesting appointment who has done a fantastic job at Lille despite his best players being sold and is certainly somebody I could get on board with. He would be willing to work with and develop young, hungry, ambitious and quick players in the Godfrey mould that we need to be targeting going forward

Please stop with the Potter shouts. The man has done absolutely nothing to suggest he can take a club like ours to the next level. It is such a small minded appointment which would show the mediocrity of the club that we have just gotten away from with the Ancelotti appointment. The lowered expectations of the Kenwright era has affected you all. A lot of you actually wanted Big Sam! You will be the same ones moaning in 2 years time of a lack of ambition when we finish mid table again

More than anything think about the optics. What does it say to potential players going from Ancelotti to Potter. Does that sound like a club on the way up. Ancelloti to Gerrard doesn’t seem as bad. His name alone will attract players especially younger players who probably idolised him growing up

However the worst choice we could make is Moyes. Even Big Sam would be better than Davey as we know Sam would be gone in 12 months. As I said when it looked like Moyes would come back before we appointment Carlo, Moyes is a good enough manager to earn a new contract but he won’t win you anything which is what we all want. He has done exactly that at West Ham. Appointing him would be another 5 years wasted. Moyes was the right coach at the right time when he was appointed but he outstayed his welcome. I’ll never forgive him for how he blew the semi final against Liverpool. Even at one up it was clear in that first half that things were going wrong and he did absolutely nothing to change it. Who wants to go back to the plucky underdog narrative that Moyes did his best to harvest as it made him look better and excused his lack of fight against the big clubs, sitting back, inviting pressure, waiting to concede

So on to Gerrard. Despite how much most of us hate him there is no doubt he is a winner. Does anyone think he’ll stand for Sigurdsson or Gomes strolling around in midfield with the ball getting passed round them. He’s a local lad who was around in the 80s so knows what it means to see Everton as a winner. He’ll certainly have us fired up in the Derby. Despite his loyalties he does seem the type to want to lose at anything. Let’s not forget he was happy to leave Liverpool twice for Chelsea before he got threats (allegedly)

At least get him in for an interview. What’s the worst that can happen. One meeting will tell you if he’s up for the fight. Failing that the meeting will give you a useful insight into a potential manager of our arch rivals and it’ll unite the fan base behind anyone that it eventually chosen if we don’t appoint him!

He has just won a trophy which is what we want. Yes it was Scotland and you can say it’s a two horse race but it hasn’t been a two horse race up there in 10 years. Going undefeated and only conceding 4 goals at home all season (if I read that correctly) is unbelievable especially in a COVID no fan year. It’s clear we need to sort out our home form

Moving to Everton is a step up in players he is managing so there is no issue with a big manager like Ancelotti or Conte suddenly having to deal with lesser players. He will be happy working with and developing the young, hungry players that Brands has to bring in.

Are we a stepping stone to Liverpool, yes probably. However it’s not going to be like Barmby who left us out of the blue. Both sides know it’s a marriage of convenience. He needs to win a trophy/ get into the Champions League to persuade Liverpool to hire him and we are desperate for either. It’s a win-win. Most managers are going to leave after a couple of years and any player or manager who joins us should be looking to go from us to a massive club. It’s just where we are at present

So onto the biggest issue, the fact that he’s a Liverpool legend. We all love Beardsley, Watson, Sheedy and Ablett. I agree it’s probably not the same. Let me try it another way. If Klopp fell out with FSG tomorrow but wanted to stay in the area and would take the job if Moshiri was willing to make him the highest paid manager in the world, how many of us would take him as manager. Most of us would if we’re honest. He too is a Liverpool legend

Joins in 2011, 10 years later this is their first post

Why not Steven Gerrard

Nice on on signing up in 2011 and waiting this long

I'm not against Eddie Howe IF (big if) that's what Brands concluded after going through dozens of interviews. Am I right in thinking MB hasn't himself made an appointment so far as DOF? If we're trusting the DOF to make the decision not Moshiri or Kenwright then who ever it is we have to accept they tick all the boxes for MB. Don't think any name so far has universal agreement.

Whoever it is it will be a measured decision, doesn't look like a rush job.
If Brands does dozens of interviews and his final answer is Eddie Howe then Brands himself needs volleying right out the club with immediate effect.

Worse than any call for me. If he did well 100 percent the RS will have him after Klipperty and they will say that he did his time at a "smaller club" in the PL.
wanting to manage Liverpool is the main reason he wouldn’t join us - it might sour his chances of getting that job.

Thank god.

Don't agree sadly, I don't think we're well set up for a back 3 at all. The only centreback we have who is comfortable in a back 3 is Godfrey - both Mina and Keane prefer a low-block back 4, and Holgate is awful in every system.

As for wingbacks, the only player we have who can play this role at a good level is Digne. Coleman can't run and Nkounkou is completely untried. We'd need to sign at least 2 right wingbacks this summer to play this system and hope that Nkounkou is good enough to deputise for Digne.

As for midfield, Allan and Doucoure are okay for a midfield 2, but, where's the creativity coming from? Neither of them are particularly good on the ball. Gomes is crap and Gylfi doesn't have the legs to play in a midfield 2.

Forwards... will Richarlison even be here next season? And if he is, will he be as crap as he was this season? If James goes, we'll need to bring in 2 quality right-wingers.

This is the problem with NES, he seems to like this 3-4-3 system, but we have 1 good fullback in the entire squad and our centrebacks are crap on the ball. We'd need to overhaul the squad to make a 3-4-3 work, and then what happens when NES gets the boot? We bring in a manager who probably doesn't like 3-4-3 and we need to strip the squad and start again.

It's a depressing conundrum whoever we appoint.

I would tend to disagree with some of this.

Mina, in particular, is more than capable of playing in a higher line (did so for Columbia this weekend) and is decent enough on the ball to play in the middle of a back three. Godfrey we all know how versatile he is and nobody would have many worries there. Holgate, despite having a nightmare of a season, has played most of the best football of his career in a back three. Ok, I wouldn't necessarily want him starting all the time, but he'd be useful to keep around. We don't know enough about Branthwaite to decide if he'd be ready to be included in the conversation yet. The only one we could probably definitely agree on there would be Keane who has shown time and time again how limited he is in a high line.

Digne I wouldn't have too many concerns about in this system, it would probably help Nkounkou's development as well as the defensive side of the game seemed to be where he needed most work. On the right, Coleman could provide cover but yes, we would 100% need a new right wing back (but the same goes for a right back if someone comes in who plays a back 4)

In midfield, I don't have any worries about Allan at all. Doucoure also has a great engine, but Doucoure worries me in a two as he seems at his best in a midfield three with licence to bomb on. Gbamin we don't know enough about (although every time I watch a YouTube highlights package of him, I worry he wasn't going to be a great signing anyway), Davies and Gomes most of us would agree that we could improve on, so I do sort of have reservations in there, but again that's probably true regardless of the system we play

In attack, Richarlison and Calvert Lewin would be great in a 343, should suit them both (that goes for Potter's version and Nuno's). Not so sure about James, but we still need to sign a right winger (ideally a left footed one) regardless of what happens with James this summer.

I don't think we are miles off being able to play that sort of system comfortably, but I think my main point here is that whether you're playing 4231, 433 or 343, the same weaknesses exist in the team anyway so it shouldn't really matter *that* much which system the new manager wants to play, the signings we make to address the weaknesses in the squad would probably be similar anyway

Why not Steven Gerrard

Without a shadow of doubt as soon as RSFC came calling he would be off, absolutely no longevity in that considering he is an up and coming manager. I`d say if you are considering Gerrard you may as well consider Lampard, Potter or Howe.

So I have to be inspired, because it was Ferguson?

The Chelsea game was amazing, the crowd was electric, but watch it back, we rode our luck, and everything worked out, fairy tale esque.

We lost to Leicester, literally went backs to the wall against United, did we have more than one attack?

Then the players reverted to sort.

I love Duncan, but it’s pie in the sky stuff to suggest it was enjoyable viewing, other than the fact we all love the bloke snd wanted him to succeed.

We rode our luck? We had 7 shots on target to their 4 and their only goal was offside.

The man u game, united had just beast spurs and City the two games prior so what were we supposed to do? play tiki taka? It was a good solid defensive display and we would of won if pickford hadn't of let a soft goal in. We did have 8 shots although united did have 24.

We didn't loose to Leicester we were knocked out on pens we drew the game.

I and many other evertonians think it was our most enjoyable football for a while.

I dont understand why people are making out like you have to be a tatical genius to do well in the prem. Dyche has been in it for year and hes crap, hodgeson the same. Bloody hell the RS won the league the other year by having a striker that drops deep, having two wingers that run into the space he leaves and then they bang it long.

It isn’t about whats complicated in this league its about whats effective. Can dunk create a effective side? I think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.