New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it’s gonna be Nuno. According to my sources, he was set to join C.Palace but when the vacancy at Everton came available he said he couldn’t pass up this opportunity.

I’m also hearing Moshiri’s main target was Conte but after brief discussions he said he wasn’t interested. Kind of what we expected as fans.

Wolves fan here,

I understand why you are underwhelmed by Nuno as there's no denying the football last season was painful. We were, in my opinion, the pound for pound worst team to watch by some distance. There was a lack of attacking plans and the tactic seemed to be get it to Traore or Neto and hope for the best. It really was a miracle we got 45 points, we had luck at crucial moments in the season and I firmly believe we deserved to be in a relegation battle.

Prior to that though, it was brilliant and unprecedented success for us in modern times. Back-to-back top seven finishes doesn't really get the credit it deserves IMO and we were a pretty devastating counter-attacking team for that period. His departure from us, which 100% sounds like a sacking from our end, was probably the right decision. 'You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain' seems to apply to him at Wolves. Watching us had been a chore and Nuno got the send off he deserves, and a change could serve him well. So it was the right time.

The negatives of his appointment have been documented on here - the football was safety first, and it's worth pointing out that Porto fans told us the same, they'd laugh at him for 'defending a 0-0 draw'. So, it's his instinct.

However, he tried to be more progressive with us this season but we were let down this season because of a real lack of pace in defence and a lack of power in midfield. If Wolves fans were given two realistic-ish signings to have improved our team for Nuno's style, we would've said Godfrey and Doucoure. Looking at your squad, whether it's a back three or four, you seem well suited to Nuno's style, probably one winger/AM type short IMO. So, that's a good start.

I think he would do well with you, by that I mean pushing for Europa League along with many others. Also, it's kind of underappreciated in today's game but he's a very good defensive coach. In the first few seasons we were incredibly hard to beat.

The major concern would be how he'd do at Goodison. Our fans are a bit like yours in a sense but Nuno had credit in the bank from the Championship season, but our first half record was disgraceful. We'd figure teams out and then play. I don't have the stat to hand but the number of times we failed to score in the first half was a joke. He'd need to get the team playing with more intensity from the start to get you on board.

I'd be intrigued to see how he'd work with Brands though. As you know, Mendes is influential in our transfers but reports have since confirmed that our scouting team had grown frustrated that Nuno, who had the final say, always opted for Mendes players. He picked Podence over Dani Olmo ffs. They aren't just client/agent, Nuno was Mendes' first ever client and they have a very close relationship.

Hi mate and thanks for what is a really considered and balanced insight into Nuno. A couple of questions from me if I may (and I think we might well have rivalled you for worst to watch team in the division last season to be fair!);

1) Is the Mendes relationship likely to follow Nuno? Or do you expect it will remain with Wolves now he has gone? Or are you anticipating a bit of both?

2) Do you think he could have turned it around had he been given time? Was enough mitigation given to losing Jota and Jiminez? It looked like he was happy to blood a lot of younger players with yourselves?

My own take, is I would be worried that the Mendes relationship will just stay with Wolves now he has gone, which is a bit of a feather in his cap gone. If he still has some sway (or even most sway) that will likely benefit Everton quite well as we have the funds to spend.

I think he was unfortunate last season. As has been said, you sold Jota and then Jiminez got injured and that was a huge amount of goals out of your team. We had a similar decline when we lost Lukaku and Barkley in the same summer. It's hard to replace them.

My instinct is I'm underwhelmed a bit by him, and you looked a poor outfit at the back end of last season but in the previous 2 years he gave the big boys a good go. I do also contend that we probably wouldn't have got him if he had had that 3rd good season, and you don't become a bad manager overnight.

But as I said, I'd rather the club went a bit bolder and maybe took a couple more calculating risks. There's no doubt 7th is good but that isn't the limit of our ambitions and I'm not sure Santo has shown enough at being able to develop teams beyond that, I seem to remember him being a bit underwhelming at Valencia. I worry he was great in the quite unique system of Wolves, with Mendes support, but outside of that he struggles a bit.

Where do you see Wolves going in terms of a manager and recruitment this summer mate?

Alan Myers just repeating things he has heard on the interwebs in true social media pretend to be ITK style, just for a change.

I don't think i have seen one reliable link to who we are interested in yet tbh.

Hi mate and thanks for what is a really considered and balanced insight into Nuno. A couple of questions from me if I may (and I think we might well have rivalled you for worst to watch team in the division last season to be fair!);

1) Is the Mendes relationship likely to follow Nuno? Or do you expect it will remain with Wolves now he has gone? Or are you anticipating a bit of both?

2) Do you think he could have turned it around had he been given time? Was enough mitigation given to losing Jota and Jiminez? It looked like he was happy to blood a lot of younger players with yourselves?

My own take, is I would be worried that the Mendes relationship will just stay with Wolves now he has gone, which is a bit of a feather in his cap gone. If he still has some sway (or even most sway) that will likely benefit Everton quite well as we have the funds to spend.

I think he was unfortunate last season. As has been said, you sold Jota and then Jiminez got injured and that was a huge amount of goals out of your team. We had a similar decline when we lost Lukaku and Barkley in the same summer. It's hard to replace them.

My instinct is I'm underwhelmed a bit by him, and you looked a poor outfit at the back end of last season but in the previous 2 years he gave the big boys a good go. I do also contend that we probably wouldn't have got him if he had had that 3rd good season, and you don't become a bad manager overnight.

But as I said, I'd rather the club went a bit bolder and maybe took a couple more calculating risks. There's no doubt 7th is good but that isn't the limit of our ambitions and I'm not sure Santo has shown enough at being able to develop teams beyond that, I seem to remember him being a bit underwhelming at Valencia. I worry he was great in the quite unique system of Wolves, with Mendes support, but outside of that he struggles a bit.

Where do you see Wolves going in terms of a manager and recruitment this summer mate?

Wolves are about to appoint their manager

Think this answers the Mendes question too (Jorge Mendes stable)

Wolves are about to appoint their manager

Think this answers the Mendes question too (Jorge Mendes stable)

@catcherintherye

I think Fosun and Mendes are close, are they not? That's how Wolves ended up with Nuno, Neves, Cavaleiro etc as soon as Nuno arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.