New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who says they have sources, does not have sources.
0F925BD1-3DEA-4053-B8D2-0C4F14F1941C.jpeg
Big Sam has his own sauces..

I don't completely hate the Potter shouts to be honest, for where we are as a club the options are generally someone who's recently failed at a club or someone who hadn't been tested at this level. Although I get that there are similarities to Martinez.

Nuno is a Mendes client but Fosun have a stake in Mendes's company or Menses has a stake in Fosun (not sure which) so you think the relationship stays with Wolves

I don't completely hate the Potter shouts to be honest, for where we are as a club the options are generally someone who's recently failed at a club or someone who hadn't been tested at this level. Although I get that there are similarities to Martinez.
I don't think there really are.

Martinez best season at Wigan was a GD of -21. Sure results weren't where we'd want them to be but Potter had a -6 GD. It is a simplistic way of looking at it but the point is there is reason to think his teams might play decent. Martinez teams did not.

Funny how the 2 'frontrunners' are also conveniently currently in contract negotiations with other clubs already. Sky never even had a clue that Carlo was off till 6 hours before so forgive me for being a bit dubious of them knowing the ins and outs of the board meeting yesterday and who our targets are.

Hi mate and thanks for what is a really considered and balanced insight into Nuno. A couple of questions from me if I may (and I think we might well have rivalled you for worst to watch team in the division last season to be fair!);

1) Is the Mendes relationship likely to follow Nuno? Or do you expect it will remain with Wolves now he has gone? Or are you anticipating a bit of both?

2) Do you think he could have turned it around had he been given time? Was enough mitigation given to losing Jota and Jiminez? It looked like he was happy to blood a lot of younger players with yourselves?

My own take, is I would be worried that the Mendes relationship will just stay with Wolves now he has gone, which is a bit of a feather in his cap gone. If he still has some sway (or even most sway) that will likely benefit Everton quite well as we have the funds to spend.

I think he was unfortunate last season. As has been said, you sold Jota and then Jiminez got injured and that was a huge amount of goals out of your team. We had a similar decline when we lost Lukaku and Barkley in the same summer. It's hard to replace them.

My instinct is I'm underwhelmed a bit by him, and you looked a poor outfit at the back end of last season but in the previous 2 years he gave the big boys a good go. I do also contend that we probably wouldn't have got him if he had had that 3rd good season, and you don't become a bad manager overnight.

But as I said, I'd rather the club went a bit bolder and maybe took a couple more calculating risks. There's no doubt 7th is good but that isn't the limit of our ambitions and I'm not sure Santo has shown enough at being able to develop teams beyond that, I seem to remember him being a bit underwhelming at Valencia. I worry he was great in the quite unique system of Wolves, with Mendes support, but outside of that he struggles a bit.

Where do you see Wolves going in terms of a manager and recruitment this summer mate?
Hi mate, no probs.

1 - We will still be heavily involved with Mendes. Our owners own a percentage of his Gestifute company, so they will always have a relationship. We're also set to appoint a Mendes client in Bruno Lage, so he still has a huge say here!

2 - I did, but it was more hope. As I said, he was a legend here, he still is. People were gutted to lose him, we'd seen so much **** over the years, he changed it all and he's also a great person, he's humble, he connected to the club and the city. He gave £250k of his own money to help kids struggling in poverty in the area! He's guaranteed a brilliant reception at Molineux forever.

So I always hoped he'd turn it round, we all did, but if I was a businessman making the decision coldly, I'd have to say no though. The truth is we were poor before lockdown and even with Jimenez, he played ten games this season. The Jota sale gets slightly overplayed IMO, and Doherty, they have effectively been replaced by Neto and Semedo, who both did well.

As for younger players, he did, but he was forced too. He was adamant for years we needed a small squad and rely on youth outside that. Our injury record was outstanding until this season, and Nuno actually admitted his small squad approach needed changing moving forward.

I'm sure you will still get Mendes players. Many of our fans were hoping (dreaming) of getting James Rodriguez because of the connection, but he went to you and you had finished below us. But, yeah, the noises from here at the end were that Nuno always favoured Mendes' players despite supposedly having free reign on who to sign.

I get why you're underwhelmed, we're doing what you're advocating. We're appointing Lage who is supposed to be an all-out attacking manager and a different approach. As to whether it will work, I genuinely don't know. I think it's an incredible risk from our board and it could be genius or the stupidest thing they've ever done. As a natural pessimist having supported Wolves for 30+ years, I'm leaning towards the latter but I do have some optimism in that we have good attacking players who have been restricted in the past year.

Last edited:
Indeed, also none of our defenders suit a back 3 (aside from Godfrey), and we have 1 player capable of playing wing-back at the entire club (Digne).
Think a RB/RWB was on the list but yeah, you need pace to break with that system and god our right sided ‘winger’ is Iwobi and Richy has decided he’s a striker and not a winger as of late so god knows. Allan and Doucs could probably do a job in the middle but there’s not depth/creativity there. It also eliminates the role of a number 10 so Sig, James and Andre (at a stretch, he was never a 10) becoming utterly redundant

Reactions: Mrk

Status
Not open for further replies.