New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
First 2 seasons, not actually boring at all.
Contain and counter attack. If you only get excited by constant attacking, then no you won’t be happy, but it’s still engrossing.
Watching live is better, as in the first 2 seasons there were excellent pressing traps in our own half, just didn’t chase them all over the field like a Leeds or the red lot.
Last season was bloody dire. No escaping that.
There were a couple of decent performances early on before Jimenez’s injury (absolutely bossed Palace, who for some unknown reason decided to press and defend narrow, letting WBs run the show), but it was mostly poo even then, and just got worse thereafter.
Throw in injuries to our best CB, first choice LB, then Neto in the form of his life.

In answer to dealing with deep sitting defences....we didn’t. We were absolutely awful against the bottom teams in season 1, couldn’t break them down and just seemingly generally half arsed them.
2nd season we picked up a LOT of points from bottom 6, mostly through the Traore-Jimenez show.
Over the 3, I’d give it a 9/10, but that could well be heavily influenced by how low our expectations have been in the last 40 years.
Entertainment value was probably only a 6 or 7 overall in reality.

2 7th places and a Europa QF would be a massive step up for Everton in terms of recent achievement, hence why I’m baffled at the level of criticism.
Because , as a fan base , we don't/ won't accept ultra defensive parasite football with 11 men behind the ball waiting for a mistake from the opposition.
Wolves were the most negative team I've seen play at Goodison for many many years.
To be fair they were very disciplined and organised yes but boring as hell.

This doesn’t feel like a Moshiri pick to me. Feel like he’d have went all out for a glamour option. Honestly reckon he’d have gone for Pelegríni or some other well past it manager before someone who reached the lofty heights of 7th with Wolves.

Hope hes gone by xmas

Wrong attitude to have really. Gets us nowhere. Puts us in even more of a mess than we currently are, especially if he brings in 3/4 of his own signings.

I get the frustrations but we just need to back him and see what he can do with us now.

Never understood the desire to see a new player/manager fail before they’ve even got their feet under the table, we seen murmurs early on with Carlo who could have changed it for us next season with more additions to the squad. If he comes in, says the right things , sets out a vision and brings in a couple of top quality players things could change.

He wasn’t my preferred choice but it is what it is, he has my backing as a supporter of the club and I wish him well.

Ill back anyone over the length of their contract and have done in the past, i didn't want us to sack Koeman, Allardyce or Silva, i dont believe in sacking managers as it just undermines and destabilises clubs and so it has been, Everton have just staggered along as a destablised entity for five years now and developed very little and achieved nothing of progress note, via 500mill wasted.

If Nuno comes in there is nothing for it but just to back him. What i like, he seems to have a plan and philosophy, he builds, if nothing else his teams are committed, work hard and well coached. If we need to take a season or so at 10th or just below ill take that. Ill want a blue print though, a plan, a developmental pathway, ill want a pointer as to how the squad will be developed, i want a plan i can behind. I like an awful lot of what he says, im not expecting instant success ill get behind a manger for a few years if hes left alone to build. and i can see development. This lad has done nothing not deserve patience and time if we decide to give him the job, he has a a decent enough pedigree and potential. Is he a come down for Carlo, yes, certainly in profile - but it was always going to be from one of the most successful managers in the game. But at the same time its not like we achived much under Carlo either.

Those who have had him at their club speak highly of him, if we are being self aware and honest Wolves leap frogged us when they came into the league. I dont understand the boring remarks either, i quite enjoyed watching Wolves most of the time.

I would suggest recruitment this summer is key. Nuno in my opinion plays a certain way, transition in the main is achieved down the flanks - the pivotal players in the squad are the wing backs, i would suggest Digne will be fine, how ever we are going to need a pacy, right full with engine creativity and an ability to distribute, in fact we might need a couple of them. I can see him bringing on Niels - because the way he plays his wing backs are a high energy position and Digne will need a breather on occasion. The flanks need an over haul and variance to, right and left we need at least two, key attributes amongst those players are pace, guile, incisiveness and directness. for me we need two right fulls, a right and left winger and another striker (though id keep Moise), if we are going to have the personnel to be able to provide Nuno with how he will implement his likely system here. Cant underline enough the importance of the wing back and wide players, they are going to be pivotal to us in transition in a way we haven't seen since the Moyes days.

Last edited:
He’s not gonna last 18 months in all honesty. The fans won’t accept a team that doesn’t play football, and sits and contains the opposition. We’ve just had one of the worlds greatest managers hounded by our fan base for exactly that reason.

I’ve never been impressed with his teams, they’ve been boring as sin to watch and while I’ll have results over substance, his system won’t work for us. We have no pace in the side and our midfielders can’t pass 5 yards and don’t tackle

Spot on...

Honestly so bored of this clubs obsession with going after so called premier league proven managers and players from average clubs. Zero imagination at all.

Will try and support him but already confident its going to ends in tears, dire football and a big pay day for Nuno when he inevitably gets yeeted out the club.

Traore?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

Good God man :eek:

We dont have a "duty to get behind our manager".

That has to be earned.

Its a "proud day for our club" to hire a negative average manager...

Because hes black?!

We should be hiring the best managers no matter what colour they are...they could be blue for all it matters.

Why bring race into it?

"Hes not a mercenary"

lol theyre all mercenaries.
100%Agree we dont appoint a manager because of the colour of his skin or his political views leave all that bs out of the forum and supporting our club. We all have our views on our club and should be able to express them without idiotic comments championing skin colour and political views theres other sites for that. Supporting this club unites us all and appointing the best man for the job is all that counts. Fail to see how this is anything more than a meh appointment or how it can excite the fanbase, give us our identity back or progress us as a club. Its another stand still appointment we'll propably be back in 12/18mths rinsing and repeating. NSNO haha.

He not my first choice but I will give him a chance. I just wanted an attacking manager and he not it.

We can all quote the media and saying we got palace reject but we don't know what went on. The guy might have wanted to talk to all clubs and see his options. I had two interviews last week, got both but I knew before the interviews which job I wanted but still spoke to both.

The one concerning bit is his entourage which will be expensive and will be more expensive if we have to sack him so hopefully we are only giving him a 2 year contract.

Another worry is The Portuguese manager has spent a whopping £303,264,000 on transfers since becoming Wolves manager, which equates to £10.8m per player.

So he had money at Wolves, his most expensive signings are

Fabio Silva 36 mil
Raul Jimenez 34 mil
Nelson Semedo 27 mil

He did lose 2 strikers this season in Jimenez and Jota which is like us losing dcl and rich. That would be massive to us.

He’s not gonna last 18 months in all honesty. The fans won’t accept a team that doesn’t play football, and sits and contains the opposition. We’ve just had one of the worlds greatest managers hounded by our fan base for exactly that reason.

I’ve never been impressed with his teams, they’ve been boring as sin to watch and while I’ll have results over substance, his system won’t work for us. We have no pace in the side and our midfielders can’t pass 5 yards and don’t tackle

I think he could last 18 months just out of stubbornness to keep a manager for a while, but ultimately he hasn't got a prayer of lasting any longer.

It's a hopeless appointment, really is.

Have a read of this brilliant article about the guy. Apologies that it’s the Mail but it’s well worth a read.

It’s a good read that to be fair and it confirms that he is an intelligent and generally decent man.
Some of his ideas are indeed commendable.
But my problem sadly lies with his style of football which I dislike and feel will never deliver meaningful success at the top level.
I also find his overly close association with Mendes to be slightly distasteful.

2 seventh places....you think we would be happy with that playing dire football....

lol no.
Ok. So I take it you accepted the 8th, 10th and 12th before that, two of them provided by an alleged world class manager?
That’s the problem with fans, the eternal tightrope between optimism and expectation.
We had about 15-20% of our lot wanting him gone last season for how dull it was, another large group saying give him til Christmas next season when got Jiménez back, and the rest along the lines of ‘what are you talking about, this is still the best for nearly half a century’.

Then there were the few old farts that remember winning titles in the 50s that didn’t think 7th was anything to be happy about, it’s a disgrace that we haven’t won a cup yet.

You’ve got to actually put your expectation level into context. Should you be doing better than you are? Yes. Should Everton be finishing that low with their spend in the Moshiri era? No.
Would getting back to being the ‘best of the rest‘ actually be an achievement considering recent finishes: yes.
If a manager leaves a club better than they found it, especially relative to budget, then they’ve succeeded. By that metric, Nuno was a success. Every manager at Everton since Moshiri’s millions has failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.