New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roma have missed out on a top-four spot in Serie A for the second successive season under Fonseca, but the 48-year-old can take many positives away from his two-year tenure in the Italian capital.
Fonseca improved and developed a number of young talents, resurrected the careers of Premier League outcasts Chris Smalling and Henrikh Mkhitaryan, and employed an entertaining and attacking brand of football.
“Paulo Fonseca’s a bit similar to [Thomas] Tuchel in that he’s trying to put players in the right position and giving them the freedom to enjoy their football,” Mkhitaryan told The Athletic.

Roma have, however, struggled with consistency this term. They spent the middle section of the season nestled in the top-3, but a disappointing sequence of results means they are now down in 7th with four games to play; a standing that could be under threat by in-form Sassuolo.
Domestically they may have faltered, but Roma have caught the eye in the Europa League where they’ve won nine of their 13 games to date. Fonseca defeated his former clubs Braga and Shakhtar Donetsk, plus Erik ten Hag’s talented Ajax side, en-route to the Europa League semi-finals; only the club’s second European semi-final in 30 years.
Although last week’s second-half capitulation at Old Trafford - they led 2-1 at the break - means Yellow and Reds must now attempt to overturn a 6-2 deficit in the second-leg.
10a2b1c73d229730186b5ee1f0b79dda

Paulo Fonseca has been linked with Crystal Palace, Celtic, Arsenal and others
In recent months it became increasingly likely that Fonseca wouldn’t be offered a new deal in the summer, then when the opportunity arose to appoint Jose Mourinho it obviously proved too difficult for The Friedkin Group to turn down.
"Mourinho is a great coach, everyone knows that, and I am sure he will do a great job here," Fonseca said on Wednesday.

Who else has Fonseca managed?​

Mozambique-born Fonseca won the league and cup double in each of his three seasons in charge of Shakhtar Donetsk, where he once greeted those in attendance at a Champions League last-16 press conference by dressing up as Zorro.

After various spells in Portugal's league system which included leading Pacos Ferreira to 3rd in the top-flight, Fonseca hit the big time when he landed the Porto job in 2013.
It didn’t quite work out for him at the Estádio do Dragão, where he lasted nine months, although he still claimed some silverware (Super Cup).
He rejoined Pacos for another season (8th), then led Braga to domestic cup success at the expense of Porto, and achieved 4th in the table.

So, what’s next for the Portuguese coach?​

Fonseca has had eight managerial spells in his homeland, including the aforementioned Braga and Porto. He thrived in Ukraine and now has two years of Italian football under his belt.
Like many managers, he’s interested in testing himself in the Premier League - he was previously linked with Everton - and there could be a few options on the table this summer.
I'm against Fonseca for the sole reason that he would play Bernard.

Of the 3 managers you quoted only one of them is any good and funnily enough he's also the only one to manage a team. Barca B are also in the Spanish football league.

They also play the same way as the first team don't they? Keep every team at every level playing the same way so they can transition easier?

Of the 3 managers you quoted only one of them is any good and funnily enough he's also the only one to manage a team. Barca B are also in the Spanish football league.
He didn't manage them though - he was the coach

Anyway, the point wasn't whether any of the managers were good - the OP was saying he found it 'baffling' that somebody with no managerial experience would be considered for the Everton job

Not that baffling really is it?

He didn't manage them though - he was the coach

Anyway, the point wasn't whether any of the managers were good - the OP was saying he found it 'baffling' that somebody with no managerial experience would be considered for the Everton job

Not that baffling really is it?

You realise that's the same thing, right?

Not sure why you're getting arsey over cold hard facts presenting names of managers promoted with no experience (excpet one had) and them failing hard. Not really a ringing endorsement for clubs to do it.

You realise that's the same thing, right?

Not sure why you're getting arsey over cold hard facts presenting names of managers promoted with no experience (excpet one had) and them failing hard. Not really a ringing endorsement for clubs to do it.
I'm not getting arsey at all - Them failing has nothing to do with them being appointed in the first place but let's end it there

I'm beyond caring about the next Everton manager TBH - whomever it is is going to fail.

It's the worst job in football at the moment

Like @davek says, ferguson is a terrible shout.

If our premise is because he won't accept poor attitude then we have the wrong players. Simple.
We do have the wrong players but I don’t think that changes whoever we have in charge, we need big ins and outs regardless, nobody is getting a tune out of this current squad.

I personally think Ferguson is a bad shout regardless of the squad as I’m never interested in giving one of the top managing jobs in world football (biggest league, very well financed, massive supporter base) out to somebody who’s never managed anything, that’s madness.

The question is his abilities as a manager. Here's what I've seen on the evidence available to us:

• a manager who cant separate himself from his emotions when we need a coach and not a fan in the dugout
  • a manager who was impetuous - gets Kean on as a sub...5 minutes later subs the sub
  • his only win was against Chelsea on a wave of emotion
  • the other 3 performances were a gradual let down starting when United equalised in his second game and deteriorating badly from that point

He's all attitude with no composure. I dont want the proud boast we have a manager who everyone is afraid of. I want a manager who can get teams playing.

The burden of explanation is on those who argue he should be our next manager.
WHy do you always twist the narrative?
  • a manager who cant separate himself from his emotions when we need a coach and not a fan in the dugout - it is possible to be both
  • a manager who was impetuous - gets Kean on as a sub...5 minutes later subs the sub - he acted quickly to sort out the situation.
  • his only win was against Chelsea on a wave of emotion - he was unbeaten
  • the other 3 performances were a gradual let down starting when United equalised in his second game and deteriorating badly from that point - he was unbeaten

Status
Not open for further replies.