New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He may be a big name but he's totally not the right fit.
Maybe not. Maybe NES isn't either. Maybe the board are pissing themselves laughing at us for even mentioning those names and Eddie Howe, regaled in a pink Hollister shirt and cargo shorts is packing up ready to manage his beloved 'plucky little Everton' as we speak.

No one seems to know anything really.

Colin Harvey was assistant, got sacked as manager and then went back to assistant.

And how do you know what his abilities are? Have you trained with him?
The question is his abilities as a manager. Here's what I've seen on the evidence available to us:

• a manager who cant separate himself from his emotions when we need a coach and not a fan in the dugout
  • a manager who was impetuous - gets Kean on as a sub...5 minutes later subs the sub
  • his only win was against Chelsea on a wave of emotion
  • the other 3 performances were a gradual let down starting when United equalised in his second game and deteriorating badly from that point

He's all attitude with no composure. I dont want the proud boast we have a manager who everyone is afraid of. I want a manager who can get teams playing.

The burden of explanation is on those who argue he should be our next manager.

If they have met with Nuno and/or his reps, surely they would have to make a contract offer in the coming days at the very latest.

If he has interest in the Palace job, or any other, our interest could cost him if they don't follow up.

I wouldn't be enthused in thinking I was a back-up option. Essentially he is I think because of his experience and availability. I want someone who is genuinely keen on the job, but not to the degree they would wait around for it either.

If they have met with Nuno and/or his reps, surely they would have to make a contract offer in the coming days at the very latest.

If he has interest in the Palace job, or any other, our interest could cost him if they don't follow up.

I wouldn't be enthused in thinking I was a back-up option. Essentially he is I think because of his experience and availability. I want someone who is genuinely keen on the job, but not to the degree they would wait around for it either.

They've got to do their due diligence and speak to a few candidates who could take the role. I suspect it will be Nuno as he was close to the Palace job and seems to have gone quiet there.

No rush still for me, if it takes another week or 2 that's fine as long as they get it right and then put a proper plan into place.

The only time to post on here is while the big oil is in bed . Once he gets up and into that basement he destroys most threads

The Big Oil never sleeps, he’s just plugged in and recharging, ready to break his record of 500 meaningless posts in one day, in the new managers thread.

I suspect he doesn’t get invited to many parties.

Roma have missed out on a top-four spot in Serie A for the second successive season under Fonseca, but the 48-year-old can take many positives away from his two-year tenure in the Italian capital.
Fonseca improved and developed a number of young talents, resurrected the careers of Premier League outcasts Chris Smalling and Henrikh Mkhitaryan, and employed an entertaining and attacking brand of football.
“Paulo Fonseca’s a bit similar to [Thomas] Tuchel in that he’s trying to put players in the right position and giving them the freedom to enjoy their football,” Mkhitaryan told The Athletic.
At their best, the Giallorossi are rip-roaring going forward.
Last season they outscored champions Juventus, and secured 5th spot after a superb closing period in which they accrued 22 points from their final eight games.
Roma have, however, struggled with consistency this term. They spent the middle section of the season nestled in the top-3, but a disappointing sequence of results means they are now down in 7th with four games to play; a standing that could be under threat by in-form Sassuolo.
Domestically they may have faltered, but Roma have caught the eye in the Europa League where they’ve won nine of their 13 games to date. Fonseca defeated his former clubs Braga and Shakhtar Donetsk, plus Erik ten Hag’s talented Ajax side, en-route to the Europa League semi-finals; only the club’s second European semi-final in 30 years.
Although last week’s second-half capitulation at Old Trafford - they led 2-1 at the break - means Yellow and Reds must now attempt to overturn a 6-2 deficit in the second-leg.
10a2b1c73d229730186b5ee1f0b79dda

Paulo Fonseca has been linked with Crystal Palace, Celtic, Arsenal and others
In recent months it became increasingly likely that Fonseca wouldn’t be offered a new deal in the summer, then when the opportunity arose to appoint Jose Mourinho it obviously proved too difficult for The Friedkin Group to turn down.
"Mourinho is a great coach, everyone knows that, and I am sure he will do a great job here," Fonseca said on Wednesday.

Who else has Fonseca managed?​

Mozambique-born Fonseca won the league and cup double in each of his three seasons in charge of Shakhtar Donetsk, where he once greeted those in attendance at a Champions League last-16 press conference by dressing up as Zorro.

After various spells in Portugal's league system which included leading Pacos Ferreira to 3rd in the top-flight, Fonseca hit the big time when he landed the Porto job in 2013.
It didn’t quite work out for him at the Estádio do Dragão, where he lasted nine months, although he still claimed some silverware (Super Cup).
He rejoined Pacos for another season (8th), then led Braga to domestic cup success at the expense of Porto, and achieved 4th in the table.
Paulo Fonseca Win Rates
Roma: 51.5%
Shakhtar Donetsk: 74.1%
Braga: 50.8%
Paços de Ferreira (2): 35.9%
Porto: 56.7%
Paços de Ferreira (1): 53.6%
Aves: 42.1%
Pinhalnovense: 45.8%
Odivelas: 31.4%
1º Dezembro: 38.2%

So, what’s next for the Portuguese coach?​

Fonseca has had eight managerial spells in his homeland, including the aforementioned Braga and Porto. He thrived in Ukraine and now has two years of Italian football under his belt.
Like many managers, he’s interested in testing himself in the Premier League - he was previously linked with Everton - and there could be a few options on the table this summer.
“I have this dream. I have a big, big passion about the game and the atmosphere in England is amazing. I hope one day to live it. It’s the biggest league in the world,” he previously told The Telegraph.
“For any coach, to work in England can be amazing.”

Reading about Fonseca makes me interested in what he could offer he interviewed for the job when Silva got it didn't he

There was contact yes IIRC. I haven't been impressed with his time at Roma though. They were just plodding along without ever looking like a side ready to threaten.

I would see lots of similarities between us and Roma, and whilst difficult, the task of improving them is easier relatively than it would be with us.

There was contact yes IIRC. I haven't been impressed with his time at Roma though. They were just plodding along without ever looking like a side ready to threaten.

I would see lots of similarities between us and Roma, and whilst difficult, the task of improving them is easier relatively than it would be with us.
I guess Nuno is a safer choice it just worries me his style doesn't quite fit. We like attacking high tempo at home, he doesn't play that way...

Roma have missed out on a top-four spot in Serie A for the second successive season under Fonseca, but the 48-year-old can take many positives away from his two-year tenure in the Italian capital.
Fonseca improved and developed a number of young talents, resurrected the careers of Premier League outcasts Chris Smalling and Henrikh Mkhitaryan, and employed an entertaining and attacking brand of football.
“Paulo Fonseca’s a bit similar to [Thomas] Tuchel in that he’s trying to put players in the right position and giving them the freedom to enjoy their football,” Mkhitaryan told The Athletic.

Roma have, however, struggled with consistency this term. They spent the middle section of the season nestled in the top-3, but a disappointing sequence of results means they are now down in 7th with four games to play; a standing that could be under threat by in-form Sassuolo.
Domestically they may have faltered, but Roma have caught the eye in the Europa League where they’ve won nine of their 13 games to date. Fonseca defeated his former clubs Braga and Shakhtar Donetsk, plus Erik ten Hag’s talented Ajax side, en-route to the Europa League semi-finals; only the club’s second European semi-final in 30 years.
Although last week’s second-half capitulation at Old Trafford - they led 2-1 at the break - means Yellow and Reds must now attempt to overturn a 6-2 deficit in the second-leg.
10a2b1c73d229730186b5ee1f0b79dda

Paulo Fonseca has been linked with Crystal Palace, Celtic, Arsenal and others
In recent months it became increasingly likely that Fonseca wouldn’t be offered a new deal in the summer, then when the opportunity arose to appoint Jose Mourinho it obviously proved too difficult for The Friedkin Group to turn down.
"Mourinho is a great coach, everyone knows that, and I am sure he will do a great job here," Fonseca said on Wednesday.

Who else has Fonseca managed?​

Mozambique-born Fonseca won the league and cup double in each of his three seasons in charge of Shakhtar Donetsk, where he once greeted those in attendance at a Champions League last-16 press conference by dressing up as Zorro.

After various spells in Portugal's league system which included leading Pacos Ferreira to 3rd in the top-flight, Fonseca hit the big time when he landed the Porto job in 2013.
It didn’t quite work out for him at the Estádio do Dragão, where he lasted nine months, although he still claimed some silverware (Super Cup).
He rejoined Pacos for another season (8th), then led Braga to domestic cup success at the expense of Porto, and achieved 4th in the table.

So, what’s next for the Portuguese coach?​

Fonseca has had eight managerial spells in his homeland, including the aforementioned Braga and Porto. He thrived in Ukraine and now has two years of Italian football under his belt.
Like many managers, he’s interested in testing himself in the Premier League - he was previously linked with Everton - and there could be a few options on the table this summer.

The correct and only solution

Baffles me that so many people are talking about Ferguson being given the job.

He’s done nothing to prove he’s a good football manager. He’s done nothing to earn or deserve the opportunity at a top flight club, it’s nonsense.
Same goes for Pep, Arteta, Pirlo etc

All given bigger jobs than the Everton one with zero managerial experience

Status
Not open for further replies.