New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We could draw at home to 2 of the promoted teams, home and away vs Newcastle, away vs Liverpool and Arsenal. And we'd finish on the same points winning 2 games less.

It means nothing.

Ok. But the aim is still to win and not lose as many games as possible isnt it?

Why is it a controversial point to want to win more games and points?

I don't think we could bring any manager in that could get that total in the first season. I think Carlo knew who he had from his first half a season and worked with what he had. Anyone coming in now won't pay attention to any of that and will start afresh.

My view is similar to @catcherintherye in that points totals matter for progress cos if you're consistent in getting 60 points at least each season, you're a top 6 club on average. 70+ gets you top 4 etc.

I mentioned before that some would be see progress if we'd end up 8th on less points that last season which I find bizarre.
I'm broadly with you but if we're taking an Abramovich approach to managers (we have had 6 in five years if you count Dunc compared with 24 in the prior 125 years) then there has to be continual improvement or we're just bleeding money. I'm all for a rebuild, I'd just prefer it to be with a young, modern manager who is prepared to bring through younger more dynamic players (which is exactly what Brands said he wanted to do), I just don't trust Benitez to do it. I'm not sure he's done it anywhere, people talk about Valencia but Cuper had some cracking players in the squad he handed over.

Ok. But the aim is still to win and not lose as many games as possible isnt it?

Why is it a controversial point to want to win more games and points?
It's not. There's nothing controversial in wanting that at all. But putting someone on the spot to give a number on how a managers 1st season will be deemed success or failure is just pointless.

I would say around 65 points would be the threshold for relative success. We've managed that twice since 1987. And neither of them was our highest place finish in that 33 year period.

Can David Moyes have really been the first choice as per that Joyce article????
you say that like there are loads of good managers out there just waiting to take over our ramshackle squad and guide us up the table. Taking on this job is a hospital pass even for seasoned professionals

Starting to look like Moshiri/Usmanov are pushing this through just to make a point that this is their club now. Bastards

If they want to make the point and it ends up with us winning trophies and getting into European competitions on a regular basis, then they can employ who they like as far as I am concerned.

Being the 'nice guys' has gotten us the grand total of bugger all over the past 25 years, a bit of ruthlessness is what's needed now.

I would prefer a lot of other managers before the FSW but if we cannot attract them or they are not as good as porky, then there isn't much to be done about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.