Neville Southall

Status
Not open for further replies.
My eldest plays in goal and I coach him best I can. I'll show him clips of de Gea's positioning, Schmeichel's ability to make himself big, Bank's agility, but it's difficult to explain why Southall was so good. A lot of the saves you see on videos aren't 'coachable', a lot of them shouldn't have been made and all I do to explain them was highlight his determination, his belief and his winner's mentality.
Southall was that good as a player. I watched him from the start to the end and gave the players and supporters confidence that he would give, and demand, 100%. The time he sat in his goal was that.
A genuine world class player that played for us, and the best goalkeeper I've ever seen.
That I agree with a lot of his social views makes me smile. The way he's been treated by the club says more about Kenwright than it does about the big man.
Reflex times up there with the best of them coupled with an innate intuition: it was as if Nev knew where they were putting it before they had even decided.

Add to that bravery, perseverance and determination. It's a shame but I doubt we will ever see another keeper like him in a Blue shirt or at least not for a long time.

Reflex times up there with the best of them coupled with an innate intuition: it was as if Nev knew where they were putting it before they had even decided.

Add to that bravery, perseverance and determination. It's a shame but I doubt we will ever see another keeper like him in a Blue shirt or at least not for a long time.
Innate intuition.. not sure quite what you mean but I think that is exactly what I was thinking, but couldnt think of the words. Its like when a ball gets crossed in, some kids know instantly where it will land. It cant be coached, you can either read it that quickly or you cant. I cant. Never could. K'n hated people who could.

While Im posting I watched us play Forest in Nottingham in the FA cup , cant remember the year. Took the wrong turn, ended up amongst their lot and nearly lost my teeth. Wa.kers. anyway, we lost 1-0 but There was one shot, over awall, devi itely going in, top corner, then I saw his hand tip it over. Words cant describe but it was almost super human

Innate intuition.. not sure quite what you mean but I think that is exactly what I was thinking, but couldnt think of the words. Its like when a ball gets crossed in, some kids know instantly where it will land. It cant be coached, you can either read it that quickly or you cant. I cant. Never could. K'n hated people who could.
You've got it in one: he was born with an ability to read the game in a way where he prospered as a goalkeeper. He knew where to be and where to dive to.

Don't get me wrong, his reflexes were fantastic which played a huge part, even in his later more 'grown' years, but so many times he simply got into the right place.

While Im posting I watched us play Forest in Nottingham in the FA cup , cant remember the year. Took the wrong turn, ended up amongst their lot and nearly lost my teeth. Wa.kers. anyway, we lost 1-0 but There was one shot, over awall, devi itely going in, top corner, then I saw his hand tip it over. Words cant describe but it was almost super human

One for me, I was in upper Gladwys, last minutes, v Spurs, think we were 2-1 up and a shot on the turn iirc from Falco (again I think), Southall dived to his left and pushed it onto the post and then out.
He had absolutely no right to get to the ball, he just did.
Mountain of a man

I used to play in goal and thought I should model my game on his.... managed the size and moustache bit fine,as for the rest I was crap.
Met him at Cheltenham Town when he played for Cheltenham against Everton in a testimonial,a wonderful man and in that game he only used one hand to save and catch any shot or cross.
In my opinion the greatest player I have ever seen play for us and I’ve been a fan for nearly 60 years.

Never gets the recognition he deserves as one (if not the best as I've yet to see another gk better) of the greatest goalkeepers of all time.

I am actually. Got it from a song by a band called Terrorvision.

Very good.

I must look that one up on YouTube or Alexa.

Good performance today...all the best for the rest of the season :)

Met some of your lads in the pub before the match...good craic.

Status
Not open for further replies.