Neville Southall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know mate, shouldnt be the point should it, shame its this way. Man speaks his mind.

He has had to pay for his own cup semi final tickets....while 2 bob celeb “fans” wine n dine on the clubs dime ffs.
I really am starting to actually despise this club now, i have so much hate towards our board.

Yeah it's been pretty mediocre since the 87 title. Yeah we won the FA Cup in 95, as nice as that was it mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. Wimbledon have won the FA Cup. No great shakes. The Lineker sale killed me at the time, bloody El Tel tapping him up on live television.

The FA Cup is pretty crap these days but it used to be bloody brilliant. Winning it was a genuine honour and second only to winning the league, domestically, at least.

He's being treated by Everton like Bobby Moore was by West Ham.
Most successful goalie we ever had, FA player of the year I believe as well.

Crocodile tears from the club if anything ever happened to him.

Disgrace.

Seeing as i'm dipping my toe in here, just wondering what big Nev is up to these days. When i was a kid, despite being a Wolves fan, whenever i played in goal i was always big Nev. Until i saw Peter Schmeichel, he was the best goalkeeper i had ever seen and i never felt he got the recognition he deserved.
You're right. He never got the recognition he deserved.
When I saw Peter Schmeichel for the first time I thought he was the best since Southall. But....not quite as good! I am biased though.
Nev was absolutely superb. Maybe the team Schmeichel played in stayed top dogs for longer so they won more trophies etc. And...Man Utd being media darlings he'd always get more recognition and publicity.
If Southall had never got an injury playing for Wales v Ireland we'd have won the Double in 85/86. No question.
By the way, when you say "big Nev", you should see him now! Absolute quality though.
I like Wolves. Proper traditional club. Enjoy the match today....but not too much.

Last edited:
My eldest plays in goal and I coach him best I can. I'll show him clips of de Gea's positioning, Schmeichel's ability to make himself big, Bank's agility, but it's difficult to explain why Southall was so good. A lot of the saves you see on videos aren't 'coachable', a lot of them shouldn't have been made and all I do to explain them was highlight his determination, his belief and his winner's mentality.
Southall was that good as a player. I watched him from the start to the end and gave the players and supporters confidence that he would give, and demand, 100%. The time he sat in his goal was that.
A genuine world class player that played for us, and the best goalkeeper I've ever seen.
That I agree with a lot of his social views makes me smile. The way he's been treated by the club says more about Kenwright than it does about the big man.

Seeing as i'm dipping my toe in here, just wondering what big Nev is up to these days. When i was a kid, despite being a Wolves fan, whenever i played in goal i was always big Nev. Until i saw Peter Schmeichel, he was the best goalkeeper i had ever seen and i never felt he got the recognition he deserved.

Are you a fan of the Mamas and Papas?

(Teenagers, ask yer parents :))

Status
Not open for further replies.