2022/23 Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago we would be buying Brighton and Brentford best not their worse players. Toney, Trossard or Mitrović should have been out targets in the summer but we have fallen so bad now we can't even afford them.

That's what I'm implying. I'm not stating the midfield are to blame alone, but I can't see what our strategy is to make the chances to score goals.

This comes from the management and what we're doing (or not doing) on the training ground.

Relies so much on the wide players to press effectively, drive attacks, and create. Gray is probably the only one doing it to a decent level...but he's can't do it all alone.

We cross to a 5ft striker (never play to his feet), they don't attack the box, they rarely cut inside to shoot from distance. They also don't have midfielders who break the lines.

Personally still think we're probably better as a counter attacking side and we should put another CM in for Gordon/McNeil.

That's what I'm implying. I'm not stating the midfield are to blame alone, but I can't see what our strategy is to make the chances to score goals.

This comes from the management and what we're doing (or not doing) on the training ground because it feels as if we're unsure what to do in the final third.

Im not convinced the players are there. There is no real history that they did it elsewhere.
Might be scratching around looking for answers but the simple one being our players aint that good.

Years ago we would be buying Brighton and Brentford best not their worse players. Toney, Trossard or Mitrović should have been out targets in the summer but we have fallen so bad now we can't even afford them.

Trossard plays the same way Maupay does - last season they played as part of a flowing 3 (2 up top with a 10 behind).

Toney and Mitrovic would've been out of our budget. Mitrovic has always been seen as not premiership quality for years...and we should've got Toney when he smashed 30+ goals in the champo.

But to be fair...we'd whinge that they weren't good enough.

Relies so much on the wide players to press effectively, drive attacks, and create. Gray is probably the only one doing it to a decent level...but he's can't do it all alone.

We cross to a 5ft striker (never play to his feet), they don't attack the box, they rarely cut inside to shoot from distance. They also don't have midfielders who break the lines.

Personally still think we're probably better as a counter attacking side and we should put another CM in for Gordon/McNeil.
Aye, this is when we've looked at our best this season, but for a lack of composure or ability we've not taken the chances provided to us.
Im not convinced the players are there. There is no real history that they did it elsewhere.
Might be scratching looking for answers but the simple one being our players aint that good.
I don't buy into this alone. Without saying the players are world beaters, objectively you'd have to say we have better players than Bournemouth.

You could say that with a number of other teams we've played this season: better or are on par. But, we're not playing anywhere near to our strengths.

So, replying to you and @kenada_blue, I'm starting to move towards the conclusion that we're once again not playing to our strengths - tactically naive.

You might replace naive, with inept. We're not getting enough from what we've got, which ultimately is the manager's and coaching staffs' responsibility.

I got laughed (and thread deleted). had multiple lock and laughing emojis by the usual freaks on here for saying we should go all in for Toney.

Aye, this is when we've looked at our best this season, but for a lack of composure or ability we've not taken the chances provided to us.

I don't buy into this alone. Without saying the players are world beaters, objectively you'd have to say we have better players than Bournemouth.

You could say that with a number of other teams we've played this season: better or are on par. But, we're not playing anywhere near to our strengths.

So, replying to you and @kenada_blue, I'm starting to move towards the conclusion that we're once again not playing to our strengths - tactically naive.

You might replace naive, with inept. We're not getting enough from what we've got, which ultimately is the manager's and coaching staffs' responsibility.
On what basis? I dont think our players are any better than bournemouths.

I mean Maupay made 30, 29 and 25 starts for Brighton in the 3 seasons he was there.

He was a first team regular. He wanted to leave in all likelihood to get a bigger contract, as Trossard also does.

I'd take a guess and say he started fewer games towards the end of last season as his form dropped off. Then we came to the rescue this summer with a £15m bid for a player who they thought was on the decline.

On what basis? I dont think our players are any better than bournemouths.
Their technical ability and potential. Yes, it's easy to overstate your own team's players, but on a player-by-player basis I'd have more ours than theirs.

The real issue we've got, and we've had for a while, is how we utilise what we have at our disposal. The deficiency in the front line is, however, a worry.

Their XI yesterday should not be beating our XI 3-0, so what is the problem?

Their technical ability and potential. Yes, it's easy to overstate your own team's players, but on a player-by-player basis I'd have more ours than theirs.

The real issue we've got, and we've had for a while, is how we utilise what we have at our disposal. The deficiency in the front line is, however, a worry.

Their XI yesterday should not be beating our XI 3-0, so what is the problem?

Sorry i just dont see it. Technical ability? We can hardly string a succession of passes together.
I dont think even bournemouth would be fighting over themselves for our players. Deadly serious.

Sorry i just dont see it. Technical ability? We can hardly string a succession of passes together.
I dont think even bournemouth would be fighting over themselves for our players. Deadly serious.
Each to their own on the last line. Right now, you may be bright, nevertheless my point is what's causing this (the bolded part) to occur?

Are we currently seeing performances which are utilising the players' abilities? Are we getting the most out of what we've got? I'd argue, no, for both.

It's easy to say we need to bring in x, y or z, which I still think we need to do, but if we're not getting performances out of what we've got it's a greater worry.

You could put Haaland in our front line at the moment, and I doubt he'd get much service. This needs to be remedied by those behind the scenes.

We need to start looking at effectively using what we've got because right now we're not - far, far from it. If we can't do that, we'll never improve significantly.

Bournemouth's squad is rubbish, but they're getting a tune from them.

Each to their own on the last line. Right now, you may be bright, nevertheless my point is what's causing this (the bolded part) to occur?

Are we currently seeing performances which are utilising the players' abilities? Are we getting the most out of what we've got? I'd argue, no, for both.

It's easy to say we need to bring in x, y or z, which I still think we need to do, but if we're not getting performances out of what we've got it's a greater worry.

You could put Haaland in our front line at the moment, and I doubt he'd get much service. This needs to be remedied by those behind the scenes.

We need to start looking at effectively using what we've got because right now we're not - far, far from it. If we can't do that, we'll never improve significantly.

Bournemouth's squad is rubbish, but they're getting a tune from them.

Lots of these players were poor under previous managers. Evertons possession stats have been possibly the worst in the league the past 4/5 years. Possession isn't everything. But it does show we cant keep hold of the ball many times because we cant pass for sh!t.
There is more evidence there to show they aint that good as opposed to they are.

Lots of these players were poor under previous managers. Evertons possession stats have been possibly the worst in the league the past 4/5 years. Possession isn't everything. But it does show we cant keep hold of the ball many times because we cant pass for sh!t.
There is more evidence there to show they aint that good as opposed to they are.
The XI we started with yesterday had three players who were here under Benitez (I'm not including Mykolenko), with one of them being the goalkeeper.

Patterson, Tarkowski, Coady. Gueye, Onana, McNeil and Maupay are all Lampard's signings, so we can't attribute previous stats with those of years gone by.

That's not saying they're great players, as the current possession stat can be used to measure their own impact, but I don't think it's as simple as that.

Again, I'm not saying they are great players; however, I do truly believe that we're not getting anywhere near the best from our current XI for a multitude of reasons.

Leadership... tactical naïveness... they're currently lacking. What is our system? Lampard HAS to get a tune out of these players, or he's susceptible to criticism.

They're not good enough for the top of the league, and the lack of goals is worrying, but I sincerely believe we're not a bottom of the table team.

Status
Not open for further replies.