2022/23 Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think pick
The XI we started with yesterday had three players who were here under Benitez (I'm not including Mykolenko), with one of them being the goalkeeper.

Patterson, Tarkowski, Coady. Gueye, Onana, McNeil and Maupay are all Lampard's signings, so we can't attribute previous stats with those of years gone by.

That's not saying they're great players, as the current possession stat can be used to measure their own impact, but I don't think it's as simple as that.

Again, I'm not saying they are great players; however, I do truly believe that we're not getting anywhere near the best from our current XI for a multitude of reasons.

Leadership... tactical naïveness... they're currently lacking. What is our system? Lampard HAS to get a tune out of these players, or he's susceptible to criticism.

They're not good enough for the top of the league, and the lack of goals is worrying, but I sincerely believe we're not a bottom of the table team.

It's hard to keep the ball when Pickford and defenders keeps launching the ball upfield.

The XI we started with yesterday had three players who were here under Benitez (I'm not including Mykolenko), with one of them being the goalkeeper.

Patterson, Tarkowski, Coady. Gueye, Onana, McNeil and Maupay are all Lampard's signings, so we can't attribute previous stats with those of years gone by.

That's not saying they're great players, as the current possession stat can be used to measure their own impact, but I don't think it's as simple as that.

Again, I'm not saying they are great players; however, I do truly believe that we're not getting anywhere near the best from our current XI for a multitude of reasons.

Leadership... tactical naïveness... they're currently lacking. What is our system? Lampard HAS to get a tune out of these players, or he's susceptible to criticism.

They're not good enough for the top of the league, and the lack of goals is worrying, but I sincerely believe we're not a bottom of the table team.

A lot of the squad have been here for a while.
You have more faith in them than i do mate. Thats for sure.

The worrying part is through no fault of his own is that he's at present an automatic starter, as we have nobody else.
An unhealthy situation I thought we'd seen the back of.

I'd not seen Cannon play before and in the shockingly short cameo he was given, it seemed to me he gave defenders a more torrid time of it than what Maupay has given them in the last few games.

Really begged the question why he's not been given a chance earlier, or at least brought on for the whole of the second half yesterday when we still had a slim chance of recovery.

I saw nothing that Maupay did to be of any better quality than what Tosun and Rondon offered, in fact I believe the latter offered more.

The worrying part is through no fault of his own is that he's at present an automatic starter, as we have nobody else.
An unhealthy situation I thought we'd seen the back of.

I'd not seen Cannon play before and in the shockingly short cameo he was given, it seemed to me he gave defenders a more torrid time of it than what Maupay has given them in the last few games.

Really begged the question why he's not been given a chance earlier, or at least brought on for the whole of the second half yesterday when we still had a slim chance of recovery.

I saw nothing that Maupay did to be of any better quality than what Tosun and Rondon offered, in fact I believe the latter offered more.
Rondon can hold the ball up at least. Problem is he can no longer do anything else lol

I’d probably be inclined to give Cannon a chance to deputise for DCL as he seems more suited to that type of role. Not sure where Maupay fits in to our style of play but then again I can probably say that about more than half the team!

Thanks but that didn’t answer my question.

Two other prem clubs wanted him. Indeed Fulham are having a very good season so it's not like it was a striker punt or no-one else wanted him. So he's available, has solid figures for mid table team like Brighton so Lampard thought with his budget that was good alternative for Calvert Lewin.

He just can't do the things DCL can though when he's 100%. Non-existent back to goal hold up play for a start.

Rondon can hold the ball up at least. Problem is he can no longer do anything else lol

I’d probably be inclined to give Cannon a chance to deputise for Dominic Calvert-Lewin as he seems more suited to that type of role. Not sure where Maupay fits in to our style of play but then again I can probably say that about more than half the team!
100%

Two other prem clubs wanted him. Indeed Fulham are having a very good season so it's not like it was a striker punt or no-one else wanted him. So he's available, has solid figures for mid table team like Brighton so Lampard thought with his budget that was good alternative for Calvert Lewin.

He just can't do the things Dominic Calvert-Lewin can though when he's 100%. Non-existent back to goal hold up play for a start.
Yeah he should never have been brought in to play that role. Cue the rest of the team lumping balls 5 feet over his head every time we get possession.

He’s a forward who needs to play off a partner and be an outlet in the middle to feed, not as the main front man playing with wingers who are either in the clouds over a transfer that never came off, goes backwards when in good positions or would rather shoot than cross

He’s a forward who needs to play off a partner and be an outlet in the middle to feed, not as the main front man playing with wingers who are either in the clouds over a transfer that never came off, goes backwards when in good positions or would rather shoot than cross

At Brighton it was a front 2 of either Maupay, Trossard, Wellbeck or a 3 with a number 10 (Grob, MacAlister) in and around them (Trossard could play as the 10 also). Theyre all clever technical ball players that interchanged.

Gordon and Gray are the complete opposite of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.